It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Race Against Ourselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Life is like one long marathon where our endurance and resolve are tested to the fullest of their potential. We are in a constant state of self-preservation and self-determination. Sometimes this requires us to walk, sometimes to run, and on other occasions to sprint. We are continually revisiting the past, ignoring the present and worrying about the future, all in an effort to reach that line first.

Whether it comes down to besting our opponents or obtaining the title of Winner, the incentives are illusionary. Just like the ribbon blowing in the wind on the finish line, or the spectators cheering you on as you pass another obstacle, the rewards you are chasing are fictitious. Not even the chase for a personal best time is a genuine reward.

So what's the best way to endure a marathon for which you have not prepared in advance? How does one succeed when the terrain is harsh, the weather is unpredictable and the distance to completion is unknown?

The answer might be more simple than most of us think. Concentrate on the present, remember only beneficial information from the past and use your sense of reason to visualise the future. Don't rush, but walk at a moderate pace. Take in the scenery as you breathe the air and drink the water handed out by others.

Aspire to catch up to those ahead of you, empathise with those behind you, and enjoy the company of those near you.

The greatest race we run is not against some external opponent but rather against ourselves.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

The greatest race we run is not against some external opponent but rather against ourselves.

What is the prize at the end?
And who are you competing with when it is against yourself? If you are against yourself then you are divided and conquered prior to any battle.

Don't rush, but walk at a moderate pace. Take in the scenery as you breathe the air and drink the water handed out by others.

Is life a competition or is it art?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
And who are you competing with when it is against yourself? If you are against yourself then you are divided and conquered prior to any battle.

What is the point in running a marathon if there is no reward? Or is there still a point that most do not see?

Is life a competition or is it art?

You tell me.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

What is the point in running a marathon if there is no reward? Or is there still a point that most do not see?

I am not sure I understand? Are you speaking about life being a marathon and that you believe that there is a prize at the end? If so what do you think the prize will be?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
I am not sure I understand? Are you speaking about life being a marathon and that you believe that there is a prize at the end? If so what do you think the prize will be?

Perhaps the prize is the experience of the marathon itself.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
A marathon probably isn't the best analogy for life.

Clichéd as it might be, it is more of a journey and in the developed world, that journey has a rather narrow path and expectation points along the way.

How one lives and experiences that journey is often the result of conditioning, psychology, genetics, environment, circumstances, personality and inherent spirituality.

Some, more sensitive and attuned to Universal resonances, love, beauty and philosophy.

Some doing it wearing blinkers, seeing it as a series of competitive goals.

IMO teaching philosophy in schools would be a great way of making a more thinker based cohesive society that works for the good of the whole as the current capitalist / globalist / political based system is clearly flawed as a long term pathway for humanity.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

People will interpret what you say in there own way, it's all in how someone see's life, there life.

That being said I like the way you put it, very simple and to the point with positive overtones. The only comment I might have is why does there have to be a reward at the end, I see the reward as being a rich full life in thinking the way you have prescribed ...but that's just me .

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I enjoyed it ghost, thank you. To stop running for some needed rest would be a fitting reward.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Nice all the way through Ghost. My favorite part is

Aspire to catch up to those ahead of you, empathise with those behind you, and enjoy the company of those near you.

What a wonderful triumvirate truth.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
There will always be somebody ahead of you in such a race, I doubt that there are any "winners" because we all still can see that there is something "more" to life than what is and thus there is no end to such a race.

To focus on the present is useful, however, we still have the drive to succeed, and we are still heading towards something, no matter where we place our focus we are moving forwards into the future.

In terms of my competitors, I pity those whom have given up.
edit on 23-2-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The constant quest for success is also a root cause to fear of failure. In other words, try to be a little easy on yourself. Tell yourself that it is not necessary to succeed in everything and every time. Develop a sense of competitive spirit which will bring in a sense of accepting someone else’s success.

new topics

top topics

join