It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Your Fishtanks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I love fish, in a healthy way. My favorite species alive on this planet are fish. Particularly sharks. When I was a kid I could name a lot of shark species and could identify a decent amount (for a kid at least) of them just by their teeth. My dream was to be a marine biologist. Unfortunately that dream was cut short when I realized I can't deal with the pressure from the water at the deep end of the pool. Sad I know.. Back on topic.. Fish! I love fish! Watching them swim and do fishy things.. It's pathetic I know. What grown man could willingly sit in front of an aquarium for hours on end mesmerized?

Anyway.. this love of fish extends to fish tanks and their environments! Setting up places for them to swim around. Crossing your fingers hoping they go into that little cave or tunnel you made for them to explore. Wondering why they aren't balls to the wall as excited about it as you are..

With all this build up about my obsession you would expect me to have a fish tank or two to show for it. Sadly, I do not. At this moment in time I don't actually have a fish tank! Thinking about it, I don't know why. I suppose I'll get on that as soon as possible.

But in the meantime.. There are plenty of pictures of cats and dogs.

Fish are pets too! Let's see some pictures of your fish and their tanks!

(I sincerely hope boymonkey has a hilarious fish tank)

edit on 2-22-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Great idea. Fish tanks are great. S&F.

P

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

And... I'm a liar
Those are not my tanks, but what I hope to achieve one day again. I'm really into freshwater tropical, but more so the plants and the art of aquascaping. At the moment, I've trimmed down from 10 or so tanks to just one now, a seven foot x two foot x two foot. Huge tank for me, and sadly I just can't work in it easy enough any more. I'm hoping to get it moved to floor level so I can once again get back into my plants. At the moment it houses a small colony of breeding Kribensis, obligatory school of about 20 neons and a couple of pearl gouramis.

But I've kept most fresh water tropical species available at one stage or another over the last 30 years, except any the get bigger than 5 inches or so. I just don't think it's entirely ethical to keep species like the larger cichlids in home sized tanks.

Now that we've got a pet forum, I wonder if my thread on aquascaping Planted Tanks can get moved there? (You made me get my butt into gear so I've updated that thread and added some new pics from the latest AGA contest).

(Edit) WakeUpBeer, pity you don't live down-under, I could have given you a tank or two.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
well i am trying to upload pictures of my setup, but after the upload is completed they do not show in my library, the pictures come from my D5100, is it maybe a issue with the size of the pictures or what?
Again the upload completed but i can't see them :/

Right after i typed that they started showing up of course, so nothing too fancy, a 120L tank, i need to wait for the 300L one for when i move to another place, automatic feeder, automatic light switch, filter is a eheim 3315.
As for the stuff, well real plants and real wood, and the little pebbles (not the black and white ones) all come from the beach where i live in Sicily, thought i'd give then a little taste of home

And babies!

edit on 22/2/2015 by IShotMyLastMuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Ah, man! This thread should have happened about 6 years or so ago.

I had a 135g Tang tank with C. furcifer and C. leptosoma in it. I called my two males "Lights On" and "Lights Off" because one was dominant and would display with them tank light was on, and the other was dominant and would display with the tank lights were off but the apartment lights were on. And the little leptosoma are just cool. Watching them dance and mate in the water column was awesome. I also had some Altocomps "Mwela" with one male being close to a show specimen "f1."

My 55g wasn't as successful. I wanted a S. American dwarf cichlid setup, but the Midwest has hard water. Without specialized reverse RO filtration, it's very hard to achieve the proper pH for that kind of tank.

Then, we moved and the move wiped out most of my more sensitive species. Then, we had a baby, and I just never got my large tanks set up again.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Excellent excellent idea.

I've got a community tank and a frog setup. Emporer Tetra, various catfish, African Dwarf Frog, other tetras... Also built 3 tanks which will be species specific planted setups.

I love fish. Brb with some pics.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Very soothing Last Muse...I haven't had a tank in years, but maybe I will set one up this Spring.

Is that orangish guy a salamander?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Great stuff so far guys!

I'll have to comment more later though, when I return home.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Do ponds count?

Before we added fish:

Wow I'm a pretty terrible photographer lol

As you can see, we had a bit of an algae issue despite our awesome uv filtration system.

We used to keep all manner of cichlids (dempseys, jaguars, convicts - some were fairly large), puffers, discus, clown knife, tiger dats and a million other freshwater species but I can't find any tank pics on this pc and the others are in storage.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

thank you
i was trying to go with something easy on the eye, the tank is right in front of my bed, makes for more interesting viewing that television

As for that guy, it's a ropefish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus is you are feeling fancy) it's snake-like, can breath oxygen, on websites you find that they re notorious for trying to get out of the tank, but in 2 years mine has never tried, i figure it's too lazy, they do very well in community tanks, but they are predators so they might eat smaller fish, that's the main reason i am keeping the newly hatched pleco in a different tank. if you decide to set your tank up, you should try one out, they move very gracefully (aside from the occasional derp moment when they bum into something in the tank) but they seem to like company, and that's why i want to upgrade the tank, so i can get another one or two, here is a better look at the whole body:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not mine

www.vanaqua.org...

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Awesome thread!! Can't share pics, but I have a couple of big bowls and a few tanks. In one big bowl I have a beautiful fighting fish, in another I have 3 small goldfish. In one tank I have two gorgeous little fancy guppies, bright yellow with yellow and orange tails, two that have navy blue, light blue and silverfish color, some neons, and an African dwarf frog. In one small tank I just have one tiger fish left and an algea eater and in a big tank I have a turtle. There is greenery in every tank and bowl, some glass marble thingies and some sea shells at the bottom.

Love all the pics! Keep them coming!!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Awesome info, thanks for sharing. Seems you know a fair amount about the subject. The link to your old thread has some great pictures as well. I think my favorite was the one with the "Underwater Waterfall". They are all quite inspirational in their own ways though.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Nice tank, especially with the personal Sicilian touch.

Thanks for taking the time to take and upload the picks.

What is that in the corner? A Colosseum or broken Tower of Pisa?

Also.. I'm curious to know the name of that angel fish.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

I don't see why ponds shouldn't count!

Looks good (pics as well) thanks for sharing.

I bet all those fish swimming around the feet tickle lol.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

no problem, it's a pretty fun hobby once you wrap your head around how it all works!
as for the structure it's the Roman Colosseum, originally i wanted a tower of babel, but then i saw that and well, i couldn't resist.
As for the Angel, it's a koi angel, but if you mean what i call it, well the first name that popped to mind was "Luna", italian word for "moon" since as you can see, they have that sort of half moon shape to them

top topics

join