It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Plato predict the coming life of Jesus Christ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
written around 390 BC, Plato's Allegory of the Cave (web.stanford.edu...) explains how we as humans are trapped in an illusion. The movie “The Matrix” is based off this allegory. This allegory describes prisoners, enslaved by their own ignorance, living in a cave in which their reality consists of shadows. They are ignorant to the fact that there is a deeper reality to these shadows. Upon understanding and practicing philosophy, they begin to discern between reality and illusion. As knowledge is obtained and practiced, they begin to see the light coming from outside and begin their ascent out of the cave; realizing that the shadows were only a vestige of the true reality. At first, the light, the true reality, outside the cave is overwhelming. The prisoner will be initially blinded by the light. But, eventually their eyes adjust and are able to approach the more real existence. Plato says we are like the prisoners and “…the journey upwards (is) the ascent of the soul into the intellectual world.”

Although I insist you read the entire allegory in the link I gave above, this excerpt is where I believe Plato predicts the coming life of Christ:

"SOCRATES: And if they can get hold of this person who takes it in hand to free them from their
chains and to lead them up, and if they could kill him, will they not actually kill him?
GLAUCON: They certainly will."

Jesus Christ, sent from heaven to free the people trapped in the Devil's realm (2 Corinthians 4:4), was put to death for preaching about the kingdom of God. Plato's Allegory is such an accurate portrayal of our current illusory world that he incidentally predicted the coming life and death of Jesus Christ, the great philosopher who came from the light.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton
written around 390 BC, Plato's Allegory of the Cave (web.stanford.edu...) explains how we as humans are trapped in an illusion. The movie “The Matrix” is based off this allegory. This allegory describes prisoners, enslaved by their own ignorance, living in a cave in which their reality consists of shadows. They are ignorant to the fact that there is a deeper reality to these shadows. Upon understanding and practicing philosophy, they begin to discern between reality and illusion. As knowledge is obtained and practiced, they begin to see the light coming from outside and begin their ascent out of the cave; realizing that the shadows were only a vestige of the true reality. At first, the light, the true reality, outside the cave is overwhelming. The prisoner will be initially blinded by the light. But, eventually their eyes adjust and are able to approach the more real existence. Plato says we are like the prisoners and “…the journey upwards (is) the ascent of the soul into the intellectual world.”

Although I insist you read the entire allegory in the link I gave above, this excerpt is where I believe Plato predicts the coming life of Christ:

"SOCRATES: And if they can get hold of this person who takes it in hand to free them from their
chains and to lead them up, and if they could kill him, will they not actually kill him?
GLAUCON: They certainly will."

Jesus Christ, sent from heaven to free the people trapped in the Devil's realm (2 Corinthians 4:4), was put to death for preaching about the kingdom of God. Plato's Allegory is such an accurate portrayal of our current illusory world that he incidentally predicted the coming life and death of Jesus Christ, the great philosopher who came from the light.

Isn't that just another illusion?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Meh imo religion is part of keeping you in that cave.

Think you are making a giant leap agian.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
If you were to post this philosophically, then you would have to make an objection and overcome it to persuade the reader. So, while I like the way religion was just compared to keeping you in the cave you would need to find a way to prove how that helps your thought on prediction.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Meh imo religion is part of keeping you in that cave.

Think you are making a giant leap agian.

I wholeheartedly agree.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

organized religion, 100% keeping you in the cave. Jesus, 100% trying to get you out of the cave.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

But then you quote the bible in your other threads.
Debateable if those are his words exactly and very much part of an organized religion.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

organized religion, 100% keeping you in the cave. Jesus, 100% trying to get you out of the cave.

So you've been led to believe.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Biblical writers should not be confused with organized religion. Organized religion is what used this book for tyranny.

Plato was one of the greatest minds of all time, and he predicted that someone preaching the truth, who came from outside the cave (heaven), would be put to death. I think this validates Jesus' message. He was put to death for speaking the truth, and nothing else. Do you think its a coincidence that his word is still criticized to this day by the cave-dwellers? They don't want you to know the truth, they want you in the cave.

edit on 22-2-2015 by cooperton because: grammar and added the last two sentences

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
people are The cave beIng refered To.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Biblical writers should not be confused with organized religion. Organized religion is what used this book for tyranny.

Plato was one of the greatest minds of all time, and he predicted that someone preaching the truth, who came from outside the cave (heaven), would be put to death. I think this validates Jesus' message. He was put to death for speaking the truth, and nothing else. Do you think its a coincidence that his word is still criticized to this day by the cave-dwellers? They don't want you to know the truth, they want you in the cave.

No, you came up with that interpretation to serve your agenda and tempt people into your cave.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The menTIon of The predIcTIon recalled a recenT walk where I walk by a sTrucTure wITh a sTaTue besIde The sTrucTure of whaT looked lIke an IndIvIdual naIled To a conTrapTIon Through hands and feeT wITh The head bowed as If TryIng To send a message. The TopIc suggesTs The possIbIliTy The ThoughT To be an IndIvIdual Is acTually a race. The head gesTure says you are nexT.

edit on 22-2-2015 by BUCKSFiZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

No, you came up with that interpretation to serve your agenda and tempt people into your cave.

or, you came up with that interpretation of my interpretation to keep people in the cave.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

edit on 22-2-2015 by BUCKSFiZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If Plato predicted Jesus then he also predicted Buddha, Krishna, Mohammad, Vishnu, or any other religious god/leader whose adherents believe lead them out of the "cave". The name Jesus is never said by Plato so I wonder why you assume he was predicting him instead of any of the thousands of other religious or spiritual leaders throughout history.
edit on 2/22/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
If Plato predicted Jesus then he also predicted Buddha, Krishna, Mohammad, Vishnu, or any other religious god/leader whose adherents believe lead them out of the "cave". The name Jesus is never said by Plato so I wonder why you assume he was predicting him instead of any of the thousands of other religious or spiritual leaders throughout history.

Part of the allegory, which I quote in the original post, is that the cave-dwellers would kill the person who came proclaiming the truth. Jesus was the only one who was killed by cave-dwellers. buddha, krishna, etc were not killed by cave-dwellers. You're quick-triggered to attack any pro-Christian sentiment, you should read the post thoroughly and think out a better argument before rushing to bash the conclusions.
edit on 22-2-2015 by cooperton because: added "Part of the allegory is that the cave-dwellers would kill the man who claim proclaiming the truth about the light"

edit on 22-2-2015 by cooperton because: grammar

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Who are the cave-dwellers? The Romans or the Jews? Because neither dwelt in caves.

You're showing your confirmation bias again. If Plato was talking about Jesus then he could just as easily have been talking about any other spiritual leader in history. The only reason you perceive he is talking about Jesus is because you want him to be. That's called eisegesis and confirmation bias.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Who are the cave-dwellers? The Romans or the Jews? Because neither dwelt in caves.

Its allegorical. We all live in a cave of sorts made for us by the "puppet masters", the ones dancing shadows on our wall for us to believe in, debate and defend.

We defend our illusions.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I understand that, my question is: how do we know Plato was speaking of Jesus and not of any other spiritual leaders (or "one who leads others out of the cave") throughout history?

This thread is an example of jumping to conclusions based on preconceived notion, a.k.a. confirmation bias. Jesus is not the only spiritual leader to ever be killed by those in power, or the "cave-keepers".
edit on 2/22/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join