It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you collect/what is your obsession?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Here are a few pictures of my toys, most is still sitting in boxes from our move. The wife thinks I need to get help, but this stuff is my therapy.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: warpig69

Wow! Nice stuff! Tonnes of stuff I don't have!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I was in such a hurry that I did not realize the pictures were sideways and blurry, sorry. All of my books and pictures are in boxes in the attic. I dont have a lot of comic books, but a lot of magazines and books. I used to have towels hanging on the wall, but my new Superman room is so small. All of my action figures are in their box, but I put them on a shelf like you would books. You cannot see them on the last picture but they line the top three shelves. I wanted them out of the totes because the boxes are starting to get damaged.

If I ever get that far north, I would love to see your collection in person. It is nice to know there are other crazy people out there like me.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Jesters hats

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I would love to see a Jester Hat collection. Any pictures?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: warpig69

I was in such a hurry that I did not realize the pictures were sideways and blurry, sorry. All of my books and pictures are in boxes in the attic. I dont have a lot of comic books, but a lot of magazines and books. I used to have towels hanging on the wall, but my new Superman room is so small. All of my action figures are in their box, but I put them on a shelf like you would books. You cannot see them on the last picture but they line the top three shelves. I wanted them out of the totes because the boxes are starting to get damaged.

If I ever get that far north, I would love to see your collection in person. It is nice to know there are other crazy people out there like me.

You are certainly more than welcome to come see it if you're ever in Saskatchewan! That is just over half of my collection. I have 12 more of those grey totes, but I just don't have the room! Trying to convince my wife to let me have the WHOLE basement, but, I'll take what I can get! lol

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: warpig69

With sorrow, no. An ex actually "forgot" to prevent them from going to a landfill.

And sad to say, *quality* ones (different fabrics and styles true to the historical fashion, not the silly sh*t you see kids with at ICP concerts) are VERY hard to come by...took me close to 20 years to find five or six truly unique and beautiful ones...

Hell, I've even got two different tattoos with them...

Long live Marillion! Long live FISH!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Dear Lord, talk about hitting someone where it hurts!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

That is one of many reasons why she shall forever be named "The English Banshee from the North"....

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Those Ex's can be brutal. The lady before my wife took out a few of my beloved Superman collection. But, I am happy to report both she and what she broke have been replaced....

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I get up north to go fishing once in a while, we went to the Lake of the Woods a few years ago and crossed over to check out our northern neighbor. Perhaps I can talk the wife into visiting some day and show her there is more than one nut job out there!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I was looking at your posts and noticed you have a post about English Bulldogs. I also collect bulldog toys and prints, but I also have two of the little boogers. I have a 9 month old male and a 14 month old female. They are my other two children but, if you asked my sons, they are my favorite children!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Those Ex's can be brutal. The lady before my wife took out a few of my beloved Superman collection. But, I am happy to report both she and what she broke have been replaced....

Frakking awesome!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Knowledge.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
Knowledge.

That's deep...

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I was looking at your posts and noticed you have a post about English Bulldogs. I also collect bulldog toys and prints, but I also have two of the little boogers. I have a 9 month old male and a 14 month old female. They are my other two children but, if you asked my sons, they are my favorite children!

Really? You read my other posts, and you're not only still talking to me but you're being what would appear to be civil towards me? WooHoo!!!

Yeah, EB's are definitely my breed. Lethargic, chill, and loyal as all f*ck....amazingly awesome dogs...Atlas was my son, and Tonka is definitely my daughter...and my 7yr old Cassie understands she has a four legged sister and a sadly passed brother....

Tonka is a rescue from New Orleans...we got her when we lived in Houston last year. Now we're back in Denver.

Yes, I am shoveling a 4x4 sqft area so she can do her business outside...poor thing has NO idea as to what to make of this cold assed white stuff that's up to her nipples....

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
So question for those that do collect things, what's the appeal? I've never gotten into collecting anything. There are certain things I like, sure, but I've just never felt the itch.

What I really don't get is collecting things like action figures or comic books. No judging, I just don't get how it satisfies. People who collect guns or cars and actually use them, that I can understand. Stuff that has to stay "mint" I just don't get. I don't think comic books or action figures are low brow or anything, I also don't get why some people collect more traditional forms of art. It just seems like a waste of money, space, time and I fail to see how someone gets enjoyment out of owning something they never use.

I think the closest I've come to wanting to collect has been a recent development, and I want to amass a collection of tools that I can rely on for life. I have a bit of brand loyalty for power tools, but I don't have a desire to spend money to have a complete set (barring tools that use the same battery) if I don't foresee needing to use a specific tool.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
So question for those that do collect things, what's the appeal? I've never gotten into collecting anything. There are certain things I like, sure, but I've just never felt the itch.

What I really don't get is collecting things like action figures or comic books. No judging, I just don't get how it satisfies. People who collect guns or cars and actually use them, that I can understand. Stuff that has to stay "mint" I just don't get. I don't think comic books or action figures are low brow or anything, I also don't get why some people collect more traditional forms of art. It just seems like a waste of money, space, time and I fail to see how someone gets enjoyment out of owning something they never use.

I think the closest I've come to wanting to collect has been a recent development, and I want to amass a collection of tools that I can rely on for life. I have a bit of brand loyalty for power tools, but I don't have a desire to spend money to have a complete set (barring tools that use the same battery) if I don't foresee needing to use a specific tool.

For me it is about the insurmountable challenge! How on earth will I ever be able to collect all the collectibles or purchase every comic ( I never will)? I have been a superman fan since I was able to comprehend anything, lol, I have my superman bib! Watching a collection grow, in size as well as value, gives me a satisfaction that I don't think I would adequately be able to explain. I guess it's just a part of being myself. I enjoy it, so I collect it.

Not only because of that, but the entertainment value in comics vs their collectability and worth are also attractive. I read a comic, I put the comic away, I can sell the comic for even double what I paid for it later on. VERSUS I buy a dvd, I put the DVD away, I have a DVD that I can't even sell for half of what I bought it for.

Being able to leave all this for my family also is a double edged sword though. In order to make the most money off of it, they would have to sell it piece by piece. My wife's grandpa was a big collector, of coins, tobacco products, buttons, etc. and they just sold off the whole collection to one person (after taking out the items that were personal to them of course). That was about 3 or 4 months before I met her. Had I been in the picture, they would've made more money, or held on to them. They just didn't know the value, it wasn't their fault.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I collect Superman because of what it personally represents to me. While younger I suffered from depression and was constantly picked on as a kid. Every night, even to this day, I dream of being assaulted or accosted by people. Just when all hope fades, I realized I have super powers and I don't have to be subjected to whatever is going on. I gain super strength or just fly away. So, when I say the collection is therapy, I guess I really mean it is my therapy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join