It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viper driver tries to prove they're as good as Eagles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
A little humor for the weekend.

Late in 2014 during a 2v1 training flight, over Kansas, two F-16s collided. During the merge the flight lead witnessed his wingman start a right turn into a circle fight. The lead misjudged the direction of the turn, and began his own entry into the circle by making a left turn.

During the turn the outer portion of the right wing, including the missile rail, of the second ship impacted the lead aircraft near the wing root sending him into a flat spin, and the aircraft impacted the ground. He ejected safely and landed near the aircraft.

The other pilot apparently figured that if an F-15 could land with no wing, then obviously a Viper could land with part of a wing. He flew over 100 miles and landed safely.

(Obviously I don't know what he was thinking, just going for humor)

Pics at link.

m.nydailynews.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wonder how long it took to clean the pilots seat after landing that thing?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Gives them a conundrum doesn't it. Student pilot error and an 'atta boy' for bring his bird home.

What happened to the student pilot?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

It was as much the leads fault of not more. He apparently failed to brief the flight after the merge, and worse, continued the fight after losing sight of his wingman.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So this was not the students fault? Also you would think these planes have collision alarms or something.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This one is always fun to watch.... hehe no one got anything on this guy.... I'm not even sure if it is real.... lol

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

He'll get a little splatter on him but nothing that will kill his career or anything.

Just more weight and complexity. They recently got automatic ground collision avoidance systems though..

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

That's an automatic seat change. Have to replace the seat pan if you can recover it from the pilots fourth point of contact.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Nice bit of CG work but not real though.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The other pilot apparently figured that if an F-15 could land with no wing, then obviously a Viper could land with part of a wing. He flew over 100 miles and landed safely.

(Obviously I don't know what he was thinking, just going for humor)

Don't you mean the on-board computers landed the plane? You have to go back a ways before fly-by-wire for the pilot to be landing that plane.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It's still landed by pilot input. The computers assist with the control movements but the pilot does the work.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

As the instructor's cockpit filled with smoke and he became disoriented the student pilot radioed for him to "bailout, bailout, bailout," according to the report.

Thanks to hearing that call, he said, he ejected in time and suffered only minor injuries.

Let me tell you talk about lucky 22mill in damage a minor injuries that man needs to play the lotto

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's still landed by pilot input. The computers assist with the control movements but the pilot does the work.

Sorry, but, even a great pilot, would likely not land a Viper with 1.5 wings if it was only him on the stick (without fly-by-wire computers doing the hard work). Yes, those computers interpreted his input and calculated how to manipulate the controls surfaces. This is not a knock on the pilot at all, but, I do have a lot more respect for those before us that had to deal with that dead stick. More-so than those flying the video game aircraft now.

I don't even include the drone "pilots" of today,which IMO, should not be considered pilots.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

And those fly by wire computers only know what the sick input tells them. A Viper isn't like an Airbus with multiple control laws and redundancies for its redundancies.

Yes he had computer help, but if he screwed up it would have lived up to its nickname of Lawn Dart.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Well you need a pilot to understand what the craft can do and it cant do. Maybe telepresence would be better instead of a monitor though. Put those simulators to work.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Well you need a pilot to understand what the craft can do and it cant do. Maybe telepresence would be better instead of a monitor though. Put those simulators to work.

I'd go with that. Have the drone pilot hooked to a simulator that has immense force-feedback....let'em feel what it is like in the bird. Although, the recent advances in controlling devices with thought has potential too.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

I'd go with that. Have the drone pilot hooked to a simulator that has immense force-feedback....let'em feel what it is like in the bird. Although, the recent advances in controlling devices with thought has potential too.

Hey we could do that with the f-22 and outfly the new russian birds if they perfected it. Hey for one peice of mess with your mind warfare,put skeletons with glowing eyes and robes in the cockpit for your avatar in the aircraft. lol.

Pilot: approaching US aircraft.. OH CRAP!
Enemy control:what do you see ?
Pilot: they arent americans!! they are demons!!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Hey we could do that with the f-22 and outfly the new russian birds if they perfected it. Hey for one peice of mess with your mind warfare,put skeletons with glowing eyes and robes in the cockpit for your avatar in the aircraft. lol.

Pilot: approaching US aircraft.. OH CRAP!
Enemy control:what do you see ?
Pilot: they arent americans!! they are demons!!

Why not just put one of those Walmart "Grey Aliens" in the cockpit. Then we could all discuss it in the UFOs & Aliens forum on ATS later. HahaHahaaa...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

you should ask a certain Israeli pilot of a F-15 who landed with one wing

youtu.be...

yeahhhhh f-15

top topics

join