It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phantom Bible Passages and Christians

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I understand. I swatted my son ONCE for punching the little girl I nannied in the head - and I ONCE stopped my daughter up against a wall when she was being belligerent. That was it. I When my son would get tantrumy, I'd pick him up and carry him into his room and toss him onto his bed (from 4 feet away). I feel guilty about those incidents even now. But yes, cruelty to animals or other people needs to be addressed.

And yes - children need to be 'socialized' and learn manners; how to behave among other people, and not to batter or bully each other. But I never HURT either one of them, and never would. Eventually when they got old enough, and (for example) one of them was squirting the other with a hose or breathing on them, or poking them or whatnot, I gave them the vocabulary words they needed to express their feelings (many children don't know HOW to identify their feelings - many men, in particular, are STILL unable to do so), and to stand up for themselves - to sort it out between them.

I agree with you that small children need limits - I get the impression from your postings that your son is still very young. Mine are now in their mid-20s, and there's not a violent bone in their bodies, but they are NOT afraid to speak up against bullies and jerks. If a child runs out in front of a car, a swift swat to the CLOTHED bottom can serve as a 'wake-up', startling them. But BEATING a child is NEVER okay.

Did I spare the rod? Absolutely. Did I spoil the kids? No - not too much (although my son has a power over me that I've struggled with forever - and one instance that will go down in our family annals was when he was 9 and didn't want to go to school, so I let him stay home and we talked. He told me what he needed "to feel better" was a puppy. By the time my daughter and husband got home, we had - well, a puppy. Oh well -

We ALL make parenting mistakes.

NO PARENT is perfect -but THREATS of abandonment or thrashings is NOT GOOD PARENTING, any more than lack of any limits at all, or 'hovering' and overprotecting them from the world.
Thanks for your disclosure.
Poor kitties!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I was spanked with a wooden spoon once and with bare hands a few times. I don't feel it had any adverse effects.

You must be in my generation! lol!! Yes, that was the standard - spanked with a wooden spoon (one time a hairbrush on bare bottom) - I have 'issues' too, but overall turned out okay. I never forgot my mom waving her wooden spoon in the air when we'd start acting up. If Dad was home, all one of us (I have two younger brothers) needed to do was yell, "DAD!!!" and things calmed down immediately.

He was more of a 'yeller' though - not a beater.
Anyway - we're getting off-topic. The topic isn't JUST raising kids - it's about all the OTHER things that people are led to believe.

That dog won't hunt????

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Don't have an Imam...

My relationship with Allah is my own...

Without the need or want for a middle man of any stature.

Not a Scholar, Ayatollah, Cleric or Mullah influences my view of the Quran.

A well chosen and elected Caliph, would get my attention...

But I don't expect one to appear in my Lifetime.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I agree with you entirely.
Abuse is NEVER acceptable. For me, that includes Mental abuse, and Emotional abuse, often wrapped up in pretty little Bible verses designed to scare people with the threat of burning forever in a fiery hell.

We KNOW that is not okay - that only a sociopath would do that to their 'children' who they "so love" - so why do so many accept that "God" would do that ? Isn't 'he' supposed to be like, the world's loving father?

I don't get how that is okay.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thanks for sharing your experience.
There are MANY, MANY 'church leaders' who not only don't practice what they preach, but who also don't believe any of it, either!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

What a freak.

Shameful!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

The internet is a fantastic tool to use. I use it all the time when looking up verses and it just helps emphasize the experience because there are so many writings and takes on the same passages. That's where discernment comes in. We live in such an amazing time of having information at our finger tips and having the ability to seek the world over for teachings and wise people to follow. We are no longer stuck in little hamlets having to attend a fire and brimstone church and watch our p's and q's, in the sense of questioning a leader's take on the word.

And THAT, in my opinion, is one of the best things about being alive right now. How fast things are changing, and ideas as well, provides for a never-ending quenching of curiosity.

I grew up in libraries - I love libraries still - but the internet has everything. I dread the day the 'grid goes down' and we are all thrust back into the pre-web world. That's why I will NEVER get rid of my 'books' -

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Then I think about just how many people hate Christians and/or Christianity,

Why do you suppose people would "hate" Christianity?

(Rhetorical question - just something to think about. I don't HATE Christianity - but I do have very strong opinions about its misuse and its being 'accepted' as the Word of God. That said, I'm no fan of religion at all - but spirituality is like a magnet for me.)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

What a freak.

Shameful!

Yep. As are so many others who take it upon themselves to proclaim they are right, everyone else is damned and sub-human, and feel it's their place to, well - slaughter, abuse, demean, oppress, shame, frighten, threaten, or reject others.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The most overly quoted phantom verse I've ever heard in any faith is the "72 virgins" nonsense.

A close second is people who say Muslims are told to martyr themselves (as in suicide)...
Even though murder of innocents is a Major Sin & suicide is a Major Sin...

When people combine the two it's amazing to see how many people say "that's how they're taught in Islam"...
If they said "that's how they're taught by their brainwasher" I'd have no problem with it...

Anything else is just lies.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Cheers, Charlie.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Nice one Buzzy!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I also would like to share some insights as to some of the how's and why's we have adopted misconceptions in the Christian world .

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Ah! Thanks for that! Will watch later.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Ha, ha that is so funny that you say that!I have been on a whirlwind house cleansing routine lately. I have hauled endless books, good ones such as herb books, natural healing, etc, etc and working my way up to the super good ones. I must have cleaned out three garbage bags so far. Donated to the local thrift store. I figure someone may as well use them instead of them taking up space.

And then seriously I had just started my final push and had one of the good ones in my hand and the thought just hit me, "what if the grid goes down? I will have no resources." My memory is like a bucket full of holes at the best of times. Well I just put that book right back and refuse to let my precious stack of good books go.

When I was younger I would walk a mile to the town library and the moment I walked in the SMELL of endless books - it was pure heaven. I'd walk home with more books than I could almost carry. Libraries are magical and most kids these days haven't got a clue of the untold wonders that wait for them. Poor little minds!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Ah, our kiddo loves his nighttime story. We're working him through the original Wizard of Oz now and our house is loaded with books. They make up half the amount of stuff we have when we move. That's mostly my fault. I just brought home a new one today. It's just sci-fi, but you gotta entertain yourself sometimes.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

And then seriously I had just started my final push and had one of the good ones in my hand and the thought just hit me, "what if the grid goes down? I will have no resources." My memory is like a bucket full of holes at the best of times. Well I just put that book right back and refuse to let my precious stack of good books go.

Exactly! I go through 'cleaning frenzies' myself - (often prompted by shows like "Hoarders" - or just 'spring-cleaning fever') and have, from time to time donated books. But I've been very selective.

My mom gave me the 'family collection' of National Geographics a few years ago. Literally several hundred of them - dating from the 60s to the late 90s, and even beyond. One day she was talking to me and telling me, "just get rid of them! It's all on the internet now!" Well, being my mother's daughter, I, even at age 50-ish, thought - yes, okay. Then during a cleaning frenzy some time later, I took armloads of them out to my car and deposited them in the local paper-recycling bin.

I got home, and the thought struck me ONCE AGAIN.....what if no one has books anymore? What will our descendants do? Look at a silver disk about 6 inches across and wonder what the hell it is? What it means? How to decode it?

NO! No - we need books. We need artifacts we can leave behind.....because the World-Wide-Web is not always going to be here......only PHYSICAL evidence will remain, one day. Especially if we do see an 'apocalyptic event' that wipes us out......
there will be few traces of us left.

It makes me weep inside.

edit on 2/21/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They make up half the amount of stuff we have when we move.

LOL!! I know! RIGHT?!!

And they're so heavy! A few weeks ago my brother-in-law and his girlfriend stopped by to pick up my husband. His girlfriend was staring at my bookshelf - floor to ceiling (and it's only one of several bookshelves in the house).....
we also have a baby-grand piano that belonged to my grandmother -
it is beat up, out of tune, and has survived for 80 years even though it was in a fire.....

she mentioned she'd never seen a piano in a home before. When I saw her next at Thanksgiving she said, "I was really impressed with your library. I often wonder why I don't save my books."

Anyway - my parents were determined to (and succeeded at) making us readers, and music was a HUGE part of our lives. We learned how to LEARN. My dad would always say, when we asked him what a word meant or where somewhere was - "Look it up!"

Trust me, he knew the answers - it was just that we were just expected to 'learn it' for ourselves. We were trained in grammar, spelling, manners, etc. That kind of training NEVER goes away.

Unfortunately, neither does a lot of religious indoctrination.
I escaped relatively unscathed, and was enabled/encouraged to break away from the religious dogma fed to me that I could not digest. Simply because my parents encouraged looking outside the box, and finding out for ourselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I have hauled endless books, good ones such as herb books, natural healing, etc, etc

Ack. Yeah - I got rid of the ones that had to do with esoteric "Wicca"-type stuff, but KEPT all the natural herbal-healing and herbal-medicine and identifying edible plants, etc. We're gonna need that stuff one day.

Or, at least, our grandchildren - even our children - might. "God" forbid.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Ketsuko - The Wizard of Oz book series were the best ever!! And Anne of Green Gables. I still read to my daughter at bedtime (turning 15 in a few months). Unfortunately she has no desire to read and always says, "I''ve seen the movie". Yeah but you missed all the best parts in between, the little twists and interaction between characters, heck she's missing trying to figure out mentally what's going to happen or what the story is really about. So keep on reading to your son. Besides it's such precious time together.

BuzzyWings - you are totally right. There is evidence that textbooks are being changed to reflect what the powers that be want people to believe. Books are our historical past. They are vital. Oh and funny that you should say that - I too threw out all my books on new age healing, etc. Those ones I didn't donate. I also have a bunch of books on edible wild plants, healing plants. We need to reconnect with the old ways and stop depending on modern medicine. I think they each have their purpose and can work hand in hand but not to depend on one thought only.

I'm so glad you got away from the religious indoctrination. My father wasn't mentally stable and had his own twisted take on the Bible and it was all hellfire and guilt and sin. And the people he associated with were just as bad. I didn't see any evidence of God's love and I grew up thinking God hated me, yet he sent Jesus to save me so I was very conflicted. There's nothing as dangerous as "religion". I've had a few conversations with specific family members who belong to specific religions and when we discuss our beliefs and come to an open minded thought I am told, "I will have to check with the Elders". What... you can't think for yourself? And even worse, you're not allowed to? I think that's the saddest thing - our relationship should be personal and just like falling in love with someone new you want to know everything about them and learn all you can and grow with them. Religion is like spiritual death.

Oh! And isn't it the saddest thing to know that when our children are grown and their children - that there won't be any letters to look over and smile about and to see into the lives of past loved ones? I still have letters from my grandmothers and they are my greatest treasures. As well as an insight into real life back in the day.
edit on 21/2/15 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join