It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas man’s death leads CDC officials to discover scary new disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A Kansas man’s death last year can be traced to a new virus that is likely spread through bites from ticks.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said in a statement on Friday that the 50-year-old man was in good health when he fell ill after working on his property. The agency named the illness the “Bourbon virus” after the county where he lived. He is believed to be the only person in the U.S. who has contracted the virus thus far.

Sounds like a virulent form of Lyme disease but perhaps it is a new strain.

www.niaid.nih.gov...

“Scientists are still learning about possible symptoms caused by this new virus,” the statement read. “In the one person who was diagnosed with Bourbon virus disease, symptoms included fever, tiredness, rash, headache, other body aches, nausea, and vomiting. The person also had low blood counts for cells that fight infection and help prevent bleeding.”

According to the CDC, the victim was hospitalized two days after becoming ill, and tested negative for other infectious diseases, including Q fever and tularemia. He died of a heart attack eight days after being hospitalized.

I spend a fair amount of time fishing the creeks and rivers in mid America and always wear appropriate clothing, but ticks can find their way under seams and small openings in the fabric. Perhaps it's time to start using a more inclusive bug repellent.

info on protection....

www.outdoors.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Doesn't this tick you off. It probably is not a new virus, it is just a newly discovered virus. They make it sound like this virus has not been out there very long. Just because we did not know about it does not mean it did not previously exist.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I use powdered sulfur. Put it in a sock and apply it around your ankles, the cuffs of your pants, and around the waistline of your pants.
It seems to work pretty well. I live in southern Texas and ticks and chiggers can get pretty bad in the summer if you spend a lot of time in the woods.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wasn't the biological research facility at Plum Island the one that Jesse Ventura did a show about supposed to move to Kansas? This place was supposedly responsible for Lyme disease which is spread by ticks and now they are moving to Kansas and a new disease involving ticks has popped up in Kansas?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I use powdered sulfur. Put it in a sock and apply it around your ankles, the cuffs of your pants, and around the waistline of your pants.

It seems to work pretty well. I live in southern Texas and ticks and chiggers can get pretty bad in the summer if you spend a lot of time in the woods.

Good for flatlands and grass meadows, but if working under fruit trees, maybe not enough. We find ticks in the cherry trees, and they will get you above the waistline.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Yup, that was Plum Island. I didn't realize they moved the research facility to Kansas, interesting correlation.

If we are going to talk conspiracy, it seems instead of slowly ailing someone with Lyme, and having them pay thousands and thousands of dollars on medication (pharmaceutical companies), "they" decided to make another virus to kill quickly for population control. Who knows. I've had personal experience with Lyme. And it does feel like a super bug (and there is evidence of it once being on the biological warfare list).

Or, it could be possible it's a new mutation, and this guy was the first to experience it. Or others have had it but we just don't know about it yet. If it is a mutation, then they've gotta figure out a way to treat it.

edit on 21-2-2015 by shieldmaiden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Whats even scarier is the stuff they dont tell you about.

Like CJD. (Mad Cow).

Its in the US, I know this for a fact.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

I just read on wiki that Rebecca D. Lockhart from the Utah house of rep died from CJD last month.

I didn't hear about that anywhere until now.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: shieldmaiden

I just read on wiki that Rebecca D. Lockhart from the Utah house of rep died from CJD last month.

I didn't hear about that anywhere until now.

The public has no clue.

I personally saw two CJD cases in New Mexico. But i will say this. Those two people were not from NM. They were from the west coast. One, i know for sure was from Washington state.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

That is scary. Did you see these cases recently? I wonder if it's just starting to be more prevalent...or it's been around for a bit and no one wants to report on it.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

It's not open yet. They aren't doing any research there yet because the building isn't even built. It's just a giant construction site with some cement pilings in it at present, so nothing has been transferred.

We go out to Manhattan regularly, so we see the progress. The state is locked in a constant battle with other states that want to take it away so the project has been slowed drastically.

This is not a new Plum Island on the Plains Disease because there is not yet any there there to have created it.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: shieldmaiden

That is scary. Did you see these cases recently? I wonder if it's just starting to be more prevalent...or it's been around for a bit and no one wants to report on it.

About 5-6 years ago. Its here. And its gonna get some of us.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

That hasn't happened just yet. I can see Plumb Island from the trails where I walk my dog most of the time. It's still operating off the cost of Long Island.
You are correct about them beig responsible for Lyme even coming to the US though. They were supposedly working on a cure for it and some of the ticks managed to escape. The first case was in Old Lyme, CT. They've been responsible for a few other outbreaks as well. Moving the facility to a land locked area is a horrible idea.
NYS is considering turning the island into a public park

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
How close was he to the PLUMB Island offshoot?www.dhs.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

As I said above - We go out to Manhattan KS regularly. The facility isn't even built yet. It's just a huge construction site with some big cement pillars set in it. There is no THERE there at present. They fully intend to put it in action, but like all big government projects it's running way behind schedule.

My husband has been keeping an eye on it because he's thought about applying for a job out there so we could possibly move out closer to the rest of my family.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Scary for you.
Be careful,please.

top topics

join