It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nanny State: Feds propose monitoring how long you watch TV to control obesity

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
So we have a shady source for the op, we have the op going on a rant on everything he thinks is wrong with the gubernment.

Great thread for fake outrage, freedom comes with responsibilities, murikains think they need more calories than a healthy human needs and they call it starving, they do not want to be told that there way of life is unhealthy, on top of that they complain when they have to pay for it.

Idiocracy at its best, my remedy for that stupidity is a better education and better healthcare system.

But no that would be a fascist/communist approach.

Shady source?

You never responded to my reply with the original source

I gave you a link to the actual government report at .gov

I gave you one of the exact quotes from the original source

Before you go saying things like "shady source"

do a little research yourself

or you end up looking like someone who is too lazy and arrogant

to actually do a little research before calling shady

on someone else. Makes the person calling shady look a little foolish don't you think?

The source was a summary of the issue,
also the OP is female,
not male,
just look at the OP avatar's name
Grandma
female

Please be a little more careful in the future before you whip off an insulting reply.

Anyway, glad you continued to participate, even if you ignored my reply
and even if I didn't agree with a word you said.
Debate is what ATS is about,
intelligent debate.

edit on 7Sun, 22 Feb 2015 07:54:56 -0600am22202amk220 by grandmakdw because: spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
What is the solution or set of solutions to address the fact that 1/3 of children and 2/3 of American adults are overweight and/or obese?

May I request practical, workable and sustainable suggestions to help us as a people (nationally, state-by-state, city-by-city ... whatever your solution deems necessary) deal with this threat to our health, or productivity, and ultimately, our national security.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

So again its the government fault that people are fat right?

I am a smoker, i pay more for life insurance and benefits, its my own fault, i am the one to blame,nobody else.

Its not the Govts fault but the corporations that push for laws favourable to their bottom line. The consumer ultimately pays the price. I noticed you dont mention the article by the other posters as to the role of diabetes to "fatness". You also put your hands up and surrender when mention is made of Monsantos role. And then expect the Govt to legislate with another tax when they should have been chasing these companies for the common welfare of the populace.

Have new taxes ever really helped the average Joe? When you drive social policy by taxation penalties your uncommon but currently untaxed vice maybe next.
Whilst we're on taxation why not tax anorexics, or maybe even people who suffer from mental illness next, because I'm sure I can find some studies where a % of these ill people were seen to have caused it willingly.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
What is the solution or set of solutions to address the fact that 1/3 of children and 2/3 of American adults are overweight and/or obese?

Whatever happened to "mind your own business"?

May I request practical, workable and sustainable suggestions to help us as a people (nationally, state-by-state, city-by-city ... whatever your solution deems necessary) deal with this threat to our health, or productivity, and ultimately, our national security.

lolz

Being fat is a national security issue?

Whatever happened to it's none of your business how much or what someone wants to eat?

All rhetorical, above, because socialized healthcare makes my weight your business now.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why do you care?

I submit that you don't; you just like the idea of controlling everyone else.

If someone wants to be fat, that's their business. If someone wants to eat crap, that's their business.

Stop making it yours, mine and everyone else's.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Thanks for talking about me, or rather, your estimation of me.

So, your answer is, no problems at all with most of the population being overweight.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why do you care?

I submit that you don't; you just like the idea of controlling everyone else.

If someone wants to be fat, that's their business. If someone wants to eat crap, that's their business.

Stop making it yours, mine and everyone else's.

What does your opinion of me have to do with the question?

Your solution then is to do nothing. Thanks for your response!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Well it is not total survallience of the population to force them into activity, that is facism and totalitarianism at its worst.

I would like for people to realize that it may be like how we thought of ulcers earlier
it was so entrenched that even doctors at first refused to believe the evidence
that ulcers were caused by bacteria
and not by stress that could be cured with self control over stress

There is some new and compelling evidence for
bacteria being responsible for mild obesity, which is the real epidemic -
And some evidence as an earlier poster stated: for diabetes causing obesity
not the other way around
It is not to far fetched to think there is still an undiscovered bacteria or virus
responsible for diabetes and mild obesity
Read earlier posts in this thread for the evidence.

Maybe instead of blaming people for lack of self control,
which may well be the case for some obesity,
we should look at what may be the root cause for most obesity
which may not end up being self control
as in the case of ulcers

But the blame on the people and their lack of self control is so entrenched
that people and doctors will have a very difficult time
accepting and believing the new evidence
just as they did for ulcers.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Thanks for talking about me, or rather, your estimation of me.

So, your answer is, no problems at all with most of the population being overweight.

Thanks!

Spot on.

It's none of my damned business what you weigh, how much you earn, what you smoke, what you worship, what you drink, what you do.

It's none of MY business.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Your question why not tax anorexics if one feels fatness should be taxed is a great one.

I believe that, I don't have time to find the source right now.
But I remember research that said that people who are too skinny are far more likely to die from
viral illness than overweight people. They also get sicker, because they have no back up energy to draw from when they don't feel like eating or drinking. Definitely tax the underweight if you tax the overweight because their viral illnesses cost the health care system more than the overweight. Good reasoning!

(I know you don't believe this but Gryph and Duke do seem to believe this)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Okay, so your first answer is to address what the solution is NOT.

Secondarily, your answer is to search for an as yet unknown bacteria or virus that causes diabetes and obesity.

My question assigned no blame to anyone for anything, least of all, an absence of self-control.

To summarize your solution, we should ignore the standard scientific understanding that over-consumption of calories and under-utilization of activity is the main cause of obesity, look for as yet unknown bacterial or viral agents that are causing the problem (who pays for that research, btw?), and stop suggesting that individuals have any real personal control or authority over their weight and lifestyle, and find something else to blame any adverse conditions on?

Thanks for your response!
edit on 9Sun, 22 Feb 2015 09:42:17 -060015p092015266 by Gryphon66 because: /eyeroll

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Thanks, your answer is to do nothing. You're not your brother's (or sister's) keeper. Let's do nothing at all to help each other stay healthy.

I've got you. You care about yourself alone. Thanks again for your answer!
edit on 9Sun, 22 Feb 2015 09:43:20 -060015p092015266 by Gryphon66 because: /retch

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Thanks, your answer is to do nothing. You're not your brother (or sister's keeper.) Let's do nothing at all to help each other stay healthy.

*laughing*

What you do is none of my business.

I've got you. You care about yourself alone. Thanks again for your answer!

Welcome.

So you're placing your trust into a "caring" government.

And I am just responsible for myself. I self-determine.

(it's a freedom thing, you wouldn't understand)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I asked a question about solutions to an existing healthy issue in the United States.

Why would you claim that I want to tax anyone for any reason as a result of my question, please?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

We should help each other stay healthy but not by forcing diets on people.

I help people make healthier choices everyday but i don't ask the government to force them to do it i do it because i am generally concerned with how we spend our money and what we choose to support and what people actually put into their bodies.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I'm not sure why you're basically repeating the same thing to me over and over. I understand you.

I have said nothing about trusting the government.

And again, why are you commenting upon your estimations about me rather than the subject at hand?

Even so, thanks again for answering my question!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

We should help each other stay healthy but not by forcing diets on people.

I help people make healthier choices everyday but i don't ask the government to force them to do it i do it because i am generally concerned with how we spend our money and what we choose to support and what people actually put into their bodies.

What an excellent response! So, a proactive step we could each make is to personally help and support our fellow citizens, like in a volunteerism situation or something?

Sounds like an excellent solution to me. Thanks for your answer!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If people could only watch TV while they were on a treadmill, minute for minute, would they watch less TV?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I respect other people's decisions.

I understand that people want to live a lifestyle that I wouldn't want to live.

It is their decision.

That being said, you should celebrate the fact that I am in the minority. Your intrusive, controlling ideology is in the forefront.

Ultimately, your ideology has won.

Pop that non-fat, non-alcoholic, gluten-free champagne!

You won!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
If people could only watch TV while they were on a treadmill, minute for minute, would they watch less TV?

Well, apparently, according to several posts above, all exercise equipment is linked into the NSA surveillance network, and also, exercise and diet don't really have that much affect on obesity: grandma was suggesting that it's really a bacterial or viral problem, and that it's really only mild overweight issues, at any rate.

Also, apparently, minding our own business means we shouldn't care what is happening to the people around us, based on what another couple of respondents said.

Volunteering our time to help others stay healthier was one proactive solution suggested so far. I appreciated that one.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join