It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nanny State: Feds propose monitoring how long you watch TV to control obesity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
We must never forget that in our country suspected witches were burned at the stake!

We were a religious police state then, there are many that still have those religious beliefs today and the wish to take us back to those times.

Let the inquisition begin!

Grandmadw you were seen flying by the entire village, you are therefore accused of being a witch!

Those that take the power of office[s] that has had a sordid past and as such I see the need for the power of office to be held in check by the voice of the people, not the corporations!

I recently read that obesity is being caused by diabetes, rather than the previous belief that it was the other way around.

edit on 21-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: code troubles

edit on 21-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: clarified that offices of power had a sordid past, not those that are currently being seated to them

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
We must never forget that in our country suspected witches were burned at the stake!

We were a religious police state then, there are many that still have those religious beliefs today and the wish to take us back to those times.

Grandmadw you were seen flying by the entire village, you are therefore accused of being a witch!

Those that take the power of office had a sordid past and as such I see the need for the power of office to be held in check by the voice of the people, not the corporations!

I recently read that obesity is being caused by diabetes, rather than the previous belief that it was the other way around.

LOL

Yes, the people need to take control
but sadly
most of them
love being taken care of by Nanny
and not having to think for themselves.

On another note: maybe Nanny doesn't need to get involved at all!

one of the latest theories is that obesity is caused
by a gut "infection" or certain "bacteria" or lack of a certain bacteria;

www.webmd.com... Your Gut Bacteria May Predict Your Obesity Risk
www.scientificamerican.com... How Gut Bacteria help make us fat and thin
calorielab.com... Fecal Transplant May Cause Obesity
ofid.oxfordjournals.org... Weight Gain After Fecal Microbiota Transplantation

before one laughs at that remember we used to think ulcers were caused
by stress and if you controlled your stress
(through self control alone) stomach ulcers would go away

seems the same may be true of a great number of cases of mild obesity

especially in cases like mine
where I exercise regularly and vigorously
eat very healthy and far far less than my skinny couch potato hubby

edit on 2Sat, 21 Feb 2015 14:49:14 -0600pm22102pmk216 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Kinda makes sense if you start putting stuff in at both ends.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Very true, it was a major contribution/catastrophe and propelled the emergence of the enlightenment.

The lessons were formative in our country's constitution and bill of rights when we were later founded.
edit on 21-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

As per gut bateria's; the article I read claimed that the gut bacteria was causing both the diabetes and the obesity.

Up with Probiotics, not nannies!

edit on 21-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: typo

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Kinda makes sense if you start putting stuff in at both ends.

LOL

The studies are showing that somehow obese people
may be "catching obesity" somehow
OR through some medical treatments, losing the ability to keep, or fight the good bacteria that keeps one thin.
There are several schools of thought on this one.
But many point to some sort of gut bacteria as a cause of mild obesity in people who exercise and diet.

However, it looks quite promising as an explanation for all the mild obesity we see, and for the fact that it runs in families.

My hubby comes from a naturally skinny family, whereas I come from a naturally mildly obese family.

I have always been overweight except as a young girl.

In college I would eat only one serving of veggies a day, and was just barely within normal weight.

Interestingly, my hubby was mildly obese at one point in a time (did he "catch" it from me?) when he did Army Physical Training 5 days a week and frequently skipped meals because he was too busy to eat.

Then he became ill and had a series of surgeries and many different antibiotics, etc.

While ill, he ate like a pig, bags full of chips in a sitting, sat in front of the TV nonstop, and lost 20 pounds.

He is now back to "normal", as normal as a Grandpa can be, good for his age.
And he has stayed skinny despite his very poor eating habits and couch potato lifestyle.

While I, continued through all of this to diet and exercise and look the same as I have for many years.
BTW, before you ask, I've had my thyroid tested, retested, and retested, overall healthy as a horse but
slightly obese. UGH!

edit on 3Sat, 21 Feb 2015 15:00:41 -0600pm22102pmk216 by grandmakdw because: additon

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Very true, it was a major contribution/catastrophe and propelled the emergence of the enlightenment.

The lessons were formative in our country's constitution and bill of rights when we were later founded.

Just a question?

Are you saying that it is a good thing that the
70 year old florist
who employs gay people
but who refused to do a gay wedding
out of her personal belief system
deserves an atheist/state run/ Nanny state run inquisition?
Deserves to have the enlightened Nanny state put her out of business and take everything she has ever worked for leaving her destitute from the fines and penalties imposed by the state?
In the end, leaving the widow destitute, and her gay employees out on the street?

Because she was standing firm on her religious principals?

Do you think the current Nanny state is a good thing
to protect everyone from people who have religious faith?

That is kinda what it sounds like you and Alaskan Dad might be implying,
unless you are being sarcastic
or I am totally misreading your quips.

edit on 3Sat, 21 Feb 2015 15:08:51 -0600pm22102pmk216 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Definitely not what I would say or am saying. I will go back and see where that might have been implied!

Ok, so I was just being slightly snarky (a micro-aggression, if you will
) and responding to his suggestion that this country burned witches by pointing out that this country (formed later) was established upon principals derived from the lessons learned from those and other violations of liberty and justice.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Definitely not what I would say or am saying. I will go back and see where that might have been implied!

Ok, sorry for the misread

I wasn't certain. Apologies

Additional apologies to AlaskanDad, I reread and now see you too were being sarcastic.

edit on 3Sat, 21 Feb 2015 15:21:07 -0600pm22102pmk216 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It took some time searching through my history but I found the article I was referencing and here it is:

What if Diabetes Causes Obesity - Not the Other Way Around?(source)

Surgeon Peter Attia demonstrates that the obesity crisis might be hiding a bigger problem. As a young surgeon, Peter Attia felt contempt for a patient with diabetes. She was overweight, he thought, and thus responsible for the fact that she needed a foot amputation. But years later, Attia received an unpleasant medical surprise that led him to wonder: is our understanding of diabetes right?

Could the precursors to diabetes cause obesity, and not the other way around? A look at how assumptions may be leading us to wage the wrong medical war.

Wait there is more startling news on obesity:

Millions of people around the world consume diet drinks with artificial sweeteners to lose weight or to prevent diabetes. They are sabotaging their weight-loss efforts.

Artificial sweeteners cause diabetes and obesity.

Research at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel was done on the big three artificial sweeteners:

1. Aspartame, found in many diet drinks.

2. Saccharin, found in Sweet ‘n Low.

3. Sucralose found in Splenda.

All of them raised the risk of diabete Read more

source

Ouch!

Take some time and let this sink in,

the corps might be responsible for the recent outbreak in both diabetes and obesity.

Do you think the current Nanny state is a good thing to protect everyone from people who have religious faith?

No I am saying; we must be careful of allowing religious belief in shaping the laws of our society, all religious beliefs or faiths. In our church I have seen prejudice and fear of other Christian churches, not to mention all non Christian faiths.

edit on 21-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: typo and added source to second ex quote

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

spend countless hours a day reading a good book.

One of the OPs the other day was on how small a new generation of probe drones would be. They would use sniffer technology I guess to see if you have more than "5 books and if any of them were larger than 300 pages"
You would probably be classed as an Enemy of the (Corporate/Fascist) State

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

they have cameras installed

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

not because they're better for us but because they're better for the planet.

Yeah right. Corn syrup and soy must be better for the planet. Its just about in all processed foods

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

It is beyond evident that making poor health choices is criminal.

Are you being sarcastic otherwise it sounds to me like you have become one of the authoritarians?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So we have a shady source for the op, we have the op going on a rant on everything he thinks is wrong with the gubernment.

Great thread for fake outrage, freedom comes with responsibilities, murikains think they need more calories than a healthy human needs and they call it starving, they do not want to be told that there way of life is unhealthy, on top of that they complain when they have to pay for it.

Idiocracy at its best, my remedy for that stupidity is a better education and better healthcare system.

But no that would be a fascist/communist approach.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

It is the multiple vectors of staggered attacks

I like this sentence. Pure gold.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

It depends ... If a lifestyle was forced on others it would be Tyrannical
If information/education were given to all ... it would be a good thing but only if one still had free choice

However one must learn to discern between education and indoctrination
edit on 21-2-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
So we have a shady source for the op, we have the op going on a rant on everything he thinks is wrong with the gubernment.

Great thread for fake outrage, freedom comes with responsibilities, murikains think they need more calories than a healthy human needs and they call it starving, they do not want to be told that there way of life is unhealthy, on top of that they complain when they have to pay for it.

Idiocracy at its best, my remedy for that stupidity is a better education and better healthcare system.

Shady source?

How about the actual report
www.health.gov...

A quote from the report itself:

to document and quantify the array of sedentary activities people engage in (beyond TV viewing and (or) computer screen time). It also would be beneficial for researchers to document the potential benefits and implications of reducing one type of sedentary behavior (e.g. screen time) on other sedentary behaviors (e.g., reading for leisure, arts and crafts, listening to music) and indices of health (e.g. sleep quality and duration).

ie they want to monitor the sedentary activities of people, TV, computer etc time

This is the recommendation

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

It depends ... If a lifestyle was forced on others it would be Tyrannical
(snip)

It is very, very important at this step in the thoughts to remember that not all is only black/white.

For example: The rule is that an ambulance vehicle gets the right of way. Or, at least, you wouldn't push it off the road because it blocks your way. Right?

Black: TYRANNY! I WANT MY ROAD!
White: I have no idea to overdrive this, it would always end up in "wait till it is your turn. don't be a dumba**!"

Okay, so sometimes rules (which are forced lifestyles by others onto you) are a good thing. Therefore: never condemn every rule which does not immediately brings a benefit to your person. Sometimes, the benefit might come later (you could need an ambulance), or maybe even never.

And what about those rules from the bible? I heard that the bible is still regarded as a kind of beacon of morale imperative? Aren't those rules --- tyrannical, too?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Can their smart devices detect when a person is watching television while walking on a treadmill, or riding an exercise bike? Not that it should matter anyway, but I just wanted to point out a potential flaw in their plan...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join