It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific Barreleye... the Fish With a transparent head (VID)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
File this under CRAZY COOL NATURE! From STRANGE ANIMALS.info

The Pacific barreleye fish is one the weirdest creatures lurking deep in the ocean. Named after its eyes that are literally shaped like barrels, the species' most unique trait is the completely transparent head.

M. microstoma is the only representative of the genus Macropinna, belonging to the Opisthoproctidae family.

Although known to scientists since 1939, it was photographed alive only in 2004. Old drawings and photos do not show the transparent head, as it is usually destroyed when they are brought up to the surface.

Description
The species most distinctive trait is the transparent, fluid-filled dome on its head, through which the lenses of the eyes can be seen. The barrel-shaped eyes can be rotated to point either forward or straight up, looking through the transparent dome.

The mouth is tiny and most of the body is covered with large scales. Most caught specimens are 15 cm long, but they can grow to be at least 44 cm. The small mouth suggests that they are very precise and selective in capturing small prey.

They have large, flat fins which allow them to remain nearly motionless in the water and to maneuver with great precision.

The green pigments in the eyes may filter out sunlight coming directly from the sea surface, helping the fish to spot the bioluminescent light some jellies and other aquatic creatures emit.

They are oviparous (egg-laying) with planktonic larvae.

Video taken with the help of a remotely operated vehicle showing a Pacific Barreleye fish.

They are solitary animals that spend most of the time motionless, with the body in a horizontal position and the eyes looking upward.

Just another Crazy addition in the "Evolution" of the species on our beautiful planet!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Cool. as an avid fisherman, I'd love to catch, cut into and eat that transparent head. Looks Delicious.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Brought back some memories!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Brought back some memories!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Based off the title of that thread its no wonder I couldn't find it in the search..OH and your images are missing in the thread as well
edit on 2/21/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

Just another Crazy addition in the "Evolution" of the species on our beautiful planet!

What do you think the benefits of this "evolutionary step" are?

Competition?
you better back off buddy, my brain is way bigger than yours
or
hey beauty, look at my brain, isn't it sexy

just fooling around, old story but it's still a cool animal

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Yeah not flaming your thread, it made me look back on a load of stuff from then. I used to use a photo shack site before I knew about ATS media storage.

Can't beat a see through fish.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Yeah not flaming your thread, it made me look back on a load of stuff from then. I used to use a photo shack site before I knew about ATS media storage.

Can't beat a see through fish.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

What a great critter of the deep.

See through dome head with eyes where I thought were brain lobes-check.
Fish "nostrils"(Hahhah what? gills I think they are called)which look like eyes-check.

This is a sneaky deep sea critter,who has learned some weird but amazing ways to get on in life.
Good luck to the species I say,they have it tough it todays world.

join