It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My review of the kingsman, no spoilers, well maybe a few

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I don't normally do movie reviews because so few movies really grab my attention enough to drop down the cash at the movie theaters. Red box is much cheaper.
The kingsman on the other hand had me actually looking forword to seeing the flick with high hopes and whatnot. There's a first time for everything I guess.

I will start by saying that this movie is kind of like a mix of James Bond and Austin powers. Real spy's with some comedy thrown in. The fight scenes were pretty good and not filmed really close up so you have no idea what the hell is happening. Of course there were scenes with dozens of henchmen shooting thousands of bullets and still missing the good guys, but I can let that slide for entertainment purposes. The bad guy and his evil henchwoman was a bit over the top, but was at least not some cheap retread of other movies. We also had many of the cliche backstory within a story crap that is so over used that it has been beaten to dust. I'll give a few examples.
Poor kid with single mom.
Moms boyfriend is an abusive jerk.
Kid is extremely smart but under achieves.
Rich guys pick on the poor kid because he's poor.
Poor kid comes back at the end and takes out moms boyfriend.
Etc. etc. etc.

I feel that they missed a chance at this being a great movie by taking shortcuts in storytelling like the ones i just listed. The premise was great but fell short in execution.

Overall the family and I enjoyed the movie but I had two major complaints about it that I feel we will be seeing more of in the next few years.

First of which is the frequency of F bombs being thrown around. I'm not a prude that is easily offended by any means. But this has been taken to the extreme. Use that word as a point of emphasis to drive the idea home, don't use it like a vowel. Before long they will be making sentences with only f bombs. You become numb to it and it loses its impact. I remember watching the movie paul a few years ago and I think that movie would have been much better if they had backed off the word there.

Anyways, my second complaint is a rather crude sexual situation with a Swedish princess and our hero. I will not go into details here but I think they crossed a line for this type of movie. Especially since I was sitting next to my 12 year old daughter. We don't shelter her, but there is a time and a place to be exposed to certain things. This was not the time and we didn't expect something of this nature from this type of movie. That kind of thing needs to be left to the raunchy movies like bad grandpa. I am aware the movie had an r rating but this one seemed to be over the top.

Well thats my opinion of the flick. pretty good, but could have been so much more.

What say you ats?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Butt...butt wait...!!!!!
You took a 12 y/o girl to an "R" Rated movie!???

Boy did you get it in the end! ( I can only imagine the shade of red you turned when that line was offered... god I'm so sorry.. )
I kinda gotta chuckle. Lesson learned In THE END I guess.

I didn't see it yet, and knew.
I'm sorry that happened to ya though.

Edit: yes the movie had a high caliber cast.
Samual L. Jackson should have been a clue.

Kinda like my mother covering my ears and hiding my face at 7 when my dad hit his foot with an axe. Little Ralphie saying Fudge seemed Disney by comparison.

edit on 20-2-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2015 by Bigburgh because: FAT FINGERS AND HAND HELD DEVICES! NOT COMPATIBLE!!!!!! Op i'm sorry that happened to you..;-)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Butt is right,,,,lol

Like I said. We don't really shelter our daughter from the world and she has watched other r rated movies. I would much rather her be exposed to some things when her parents are around to kind of explain things.
That particular scene was just over the top.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

An R rating means don't take your kid with you!

12 is a child and a child doesn't need to be exposed to the things that are in R rated movies

Sorry I totally disagree with you on this one, maybe if she was 16, but 12.

Bad parenting, bad judgement to take a 12 year old to an R rated movie.

BTW, I was a college prof and taught child development and parenting. I give you a D on what you did and a C on your reasoning. Because unfortunately most parents these days seem to have poor judgement when it comes to TV, movies and video games.

I wanted to go see it but read the reviews from several reviewers before deciding whether or not to spend my money on it and why it got an R rating. The reviews all said there were lots more than necessary F bombs and also mentioned the sex scene you did. We decided that a movie which relies on the F bomb for dialog was one we didn't want to see.

I suggest you read movie reviews before taking your little girl to something that might and probably is inappropriate for her to see.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Butt is right,,,,lol

Like I said. We don't really shelter our daughter from the world and she has watched other r rated movies. I would much rather her be exposed to some things when her parents are around to kind of explain things.
That particular scene was just over the top.

LOL..

No! It was painful.......! ( even an adult has a hard time taking that )
Look.. you are a respected member....
You are a beloved cast member here...

Man I had the privilege of a 4 y/o... ( girl .. not mine.. she was a treat.. )( god I loved her.. taught her to ride a bike.. and math. )
She's gone... ( don't ask.. they are not here anymore.. EFFING DRUNKS.....)

Long story short.. I feel for you.
I have the OMG! Factor and sheltering...
But you don't shelter...( logic from here right? )
Wish I had more to offer on that...
God I would have been embarrassed ....

But why?
It's an R rated movie..

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Get it!
Took the class..
I'm a male... and a Nurse!..( I'm a Murse ).
Lol..
Love when you pop in!

edit on 20-2-2015 by Bigburgh because: men are just as capable as being a care giver... ;-)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Maybe you shouldn't have taken your 12 year old to an R rated movie. I find most R rated movies have lots of profanity, sex and violence. That's why they have an R rating. Just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

Maybe you shouldn't have taken your 12 year old to an R rated movie. I find most R rated movies have lots of profanity, sex and violence. That's why they have an R rating. Just sayin'.

See.. even the Navy gets it..

Lol..

See ya soon Hoosier!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I'm honestly not interested in your opinion of my parenting ability because I know we are raising a find young lady. That being said. She was grossed out by this scene but Was much more traumatized by the topless lesbians we saw protesting in New York last summer. They didn't give a damn about a child's innocence.
I read several reviews of the movie before going and was well aware of the possibility of colorful language, sequences of strong violence and some sexual content.
Judging from the post of many folks on this website, Americans are very sheltered especially when it comes to human sexuality. I'm very comfortable discussing such things with my daughter. I know a whole lot of people don't talk to their kids about the subjects they will encounter in their lives. Butt,,,that particular scene was over the top of what should have been in that movie. That stuff needs to be saved for raunchy comedies.

I think some of these comments are hilarious.
R movies have cussing,,, really? Have you ever been to a sporting event? Plenty of cussing there.
R movies have violence,,,really?ever watch the news? Plenty of beheadings there.
Nudity? See above lesbian sentence, nice public street and topless bodies everywhere.

I have no issue with most of those things, but that scene was gross and should not have been in that movie.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Anyways, my second complaint is a rather crude sexual situation with a Swedish princess and our hero. I will not go into details here but I think they crossed a line for this type of movie

Funniest part of the movie!!!

Its your fault if you took a 12 year old kid to go see the movie.

I kind of feel sorry for you OP, its a pretty decent review and we should be discussing the movie and not your parenting choices which are nobody else's business. On saying that you cannot complain about adult content in a R rated movie because you kid was sitting next to you when really she shouldn't have been. The ratings system quite clearly tells you that its inappropriate for children, so you cannot really complain about content in the movie that you deem to be inappropriate when you ignore that warning.

Personally I loved the movie, last years movies were pretty much all rubbish with a few exceptions but this was the first big movie I was really getting excited for and it delivered.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
You guys are under the impression that I'm upset that my daughter was exposed to this scene. I'm not. I look at these things as a time to talk things out with her. I was only pointing out that her presence made the scene that didn't need to be in the movie really stand out how out of place the scene was to the movie.
If you read the paragraph again you will notice that I was criticizing the movie for resorting to such crude humor when the movie should have held a higher standard. They had a cast that is capable of so much more and they wasted that talent with bad writing.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

No no..
Sorry.
I do not question your parenting..
I'm just a wee bit embarrassed on my end.
I was feeling your pain..
And joking aside...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

It wasn't that bad. It was a, that's going to be talked about on the ride home moment. Really no biggy.
my biggest problem was that they resorted to that type of humor when for the first 2 hours they didnt.
do you really want to waste the talents of Micheal Caine on butt jokes? That's like asking monet to paint street signs.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Loved the movie.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I kind of disagree with you here I mean I didnt know that this movie was rated R from the previews it looked like something that would be PG 13. But I mean its rated R I mean theres a reason why its rated R.

I like horror movies alot and I sometimes will see little kids in the theater's running around and sometimes saying to myself am I at the right movie\? This is rated R right?

top topics

join