It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Coat Disorder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
My blood pressure is always higher in the doctor's office than it is at home. Why is this?

You could have white coat hypertension. White coat hypertension occurs when the blood pressure readings at your doctor's office are higher than they are in other settings, such as your home. It's called white coat hypertension because the health care professionals who measure your blood pressure sometimes wear white coats. It was thought that white coat hypertension was caused by the stress that doctor's appointments can create. Once you'd left the doctor's office, if your blood pressure normalized, the thought was that there wasn't a problem.

SOURCE

This recently happened to me. I hate white rooms and people who dress in all white bother me. I get anxiety when being inside of a room with white walls.

Here is the deal. I went to the Doctor the other day to see about an ear infection that has been throwing me off recently. They took my blood pressure and it was high. 175/90 or so. The doctor stated that my BP was too high. Anyway, I didn't think much of it at the time, I figured hey, I guess I have hypertension too. Well, the Doctor prescribed me with Azithromycin (250MG) and Lisinopril (10MG) - So I took them at about 3pm, went home and I took my blood pressure myself around 7pm. My blood pressure was 123/70 at home......That is a HUGE spread isn't it? This is after just ONE pill. So this means that I was prescribed with a blood pressure med when I didn't have high blood pressure issues at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the white coat disorder a real thing?
edit on 20-2-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

What you have presented is not evidence you do not have hypertension. That would require you to take the reading at home without medication.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What you have presented is not evidence you do not have hypertension. That would require you to take the reading at home without medication.

But will a single pill (10MG) bring your BP down from 175ish all the way down to 123? This was over a span of 4 hours.

I wasn't taking anything prior to that.
edit on 20-2-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I experienced this disorder although my difference in measurements wasn't as dramatic as yours -- only about 20 points. I'd certainly get a second opinion or at minimum, another BP test.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
My brother in law has this. His blood pressure at home is ridiculously low. Put him in a doctor's office and take it and you'd think he should be dead because it's so high. He did a flight physical years ago and it was so bad they had to teach him how to take it, and have him take five readings at home and they used the average.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
My brother in law has this. His blood pressure at home is ridiculously low. Put him in a doctor's office and take it and you'd think he should be dead because it's so high. He did a flight physical years ago and it was so bad they had to teach him how to take it, and have him take five readings at home and they used the average.

I wonder what plays a role in it? Is it as simple as anxiety? People do tend to get a little worked up being at the Doctor's office. Nobody wants to be there and you usually have long waits.

I know that I waited damn near 2 and a half hours when I went the other day. That in itself is torture

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

With him it seems to be anxiety. As soon as he sees the lab coat he panics and his blood pressure skyrockets.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

With him it seems to be anxiety. As soon as he sees the lab coat he panics and his blood pressure skyrockets.

I'm the same way. I think part of the problem, is the fear of them discovering something else being wrong with you while you're there to get whatever ails you checked out.

"Fear of the unknown" so to speak.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BloodydaggerIs it as simple as anxiety? People do tend to get a little worked up being at the Doctor's office. Nobody wants to be there and you usually have long waits.

I know that I waited damn near 2 and a half hours when I went the other day. That in itself is torture

There you have it. You answered your own question.
It must be anxiety. And everybody has long waits for the doctor these days.
I hate having to go to the doctors and sit with other people all spreading around our germs, for long periods of time.
Some people also are worried about what a doctor might tell them, especially during a medical.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Maybe this is better over in skunk works - but a thought based ONLY on personal observations. I seem to be more highly photo-sensitive than the people around me. When we come from a darker building out into the sunlight - I am the only one shielding my eyes, blinking, and stumbling blindly for a while. It is actually painful, and I can feel the tension, stress and fear as I wait for my sight to adjust.

Perhaps your dislike of white walls, white coats, and the resulting spike in your BP could be from something similar - white would reflect far more light than other colors, and the increase in the light levels might trigger that same stress reaction that I am familiar with. It's just a thought.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I do not know about any of this.

All I know is that my blood pressure was once recorded at 235 over 90, at rest. It is not always like that, but the fact that the result ever came up at all is just a little crazy if you ask me!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I do not know about any of this.

All I know is that my blood pressure was once recorded at 235 over 90, at rest. It is not always like that, but the fact that the result ever came up at all is just a little crazy if you ask me!

Good lord, 235?! Isn't that heart attack levels?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That's about where my brother in law hit the first time. It went higher the second and third times.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Not for me.

I had a chat with my doctor about this, and he asked me a couple of questions.

Having answered "no" to questions like:

Do you ever feel dizzy, or light headed, do you ever feel chest pains, or a serious and unexplained pain in your left arm? Do you ever feel like you need to rest, even though you may not have done an awful lot.

My answer to all of these, is no. I never feel a damn bit of anything negative about it, it's just sometimes my BP is high as a kite. My doctor pretty much told me, that since I was and continue to be asymptomatic, that there is probably very little cause for concern, since clearly my body is capable of handling the stress that a BP like that places on a body. He came to that conclusion based largely on the fact that as you point out, anyone else would have been either mid way through a heart attack, or at least feeling very peculiar indeed.

Me, I just felt like I always do. Ready to rock. This was all looked at when I was in a phase of hiking about twenty miles a week, in between one thing and another.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Anxiety related for sure. Or stress related. Same reaction occurs in your body. You might want to purchase a blood pressure machine for home use. Or make regular appointments to your nearest fire hall.

I had 190 over something or other and was prescribed blood pressure meds. Funny thing... it only ever went up when I was at work. Work was an extremely high pressure, dysfunctional room of bumbling non-workers.

I did buy a kit for home use and when at home my blood pressure was regular. But at work I could tell it was skyrocketing due to the headaches and neck pressure.

Now that I no longer am working my doctor says I no longer need the meds. Yup, work was killing me!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I suffer from this too, and my doctor even acknowledged it, calling it White Coat Syndrome.

He said it's well known for most GPs who have enough experience under their belt to recognize it. He had me wear a 24 hour cardiac monitor, and showed how my BP went up from the time I headed to his office until just before the visit was over, then it went down to normal.

According to him it can be a multitude of things: having to wait to get seen (which with him I hardly have to wait), having to be there instead of doing something you'd rather do, fear of doctors, fear of hospitals, being in fear that there might be something seriously wrong with you, etc.

His nurse always has me sit for a bit, then she makes me take deep breaths through my nose and exhale through my mouth. Works every time and drops my BP.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is a very real condition. I have two close relatives who suffer it. Strangely enough, they do not experience it at their regular doc's office, only when they are going into new situations. I've sat and watched one have his BP taken at the regular doc's office and it be perfectly normal, then walk to the medical facility next door, a few steps only, and have it be 50 points higher.
Both have monitored their BP at home and it is always perfectly normal. It really does make me wonder how many people out there are on meds who actually have no need of them.
There could some slight (20 points or so) variation in readings due to the appliance being used. A nurse friend of mine swears that the digital machines run up 20 points higher than the standard cuff.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Yes the missus has the white coat syndrome as well, its fairly common. Just be careful to take your B.P, at home or you'll end up on statins and blood pressure pills. With all the serious various side effects. My tip is that my Blood pressure was actually very high, because of the triglycerides blocking the circulatory system. Needles to say the heart has got to work a lot harder to pump the blood through this fat. What was 180/85 is now 117/75 purely by cutting out the type of fat that causes the problem. Which is mainly milk fat.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

But will a single pill (10MG) bring your BP down from 175ish all the way down to 123? This was over a span of 4 hours.

I wasn't taking anything prior to that.

It really depends on exactly what you are taking. It's possible the result you noticed is from either option, or a combination of the two. I was not saying your claim is untrue, only that the method you used to test it was faulty and is unable to show you the cause. May I ask what medication/dosage you were prescribed?

I would recommend you monitor your BP before taking more medication, especially because if your BP is normal you could create a problem by lowering it too far. If you notice your BP is perfect for the next week or two with no medication taken it's safe to assume you have no problem.
edit on 20-2-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with my blood pressure, as long as I don't eat a few foods, it stays pretty good. With my heartrate at one ten normally while sitting my BP is about 150 over 85. The lowest my BP has ever been is 140 over eighty. I was in excellent physical shape then too, but I have hereditary tachychardia, probably caused by low blood volume.

I can feel my BP when it goes up. When I am working hard my heart beats around one eighty with no problem, if it goes over two ten then I start to have some issues. If I start off too fast with exercise, my BP follows my heart rate up, slowing down temporarily a little causes the BP to drop back down then the high heartrate does not bother me at all.

See, I am not normal, this is hereditary. My uncle had this, my father had it, and one of my daughters has it. You learn to live with it and learn your limitations. Beta blockers and calcium channel blockers do not work right and the side effects are not good. When my heart rate drops below ninety, I better be laying down or I have problems. Even at night my heart rate is around ninety plus, verified by a sleep study.

So, they can try to worry others about this stuff, it does not worry me at all. Worrying about things makes my BP go up so I just try to take things in stride and learn to live with it. Nurses always oooh me when they take the BP but the doctor never says anything, it is on my charts that I have tachychardia and they usually know that BP is higher with it. If a doctor starts telling me I need meds, then I need a different doctor, I have tried about five kinds already and none of them ever even reduced my heart rate and they all gave me problems after a couple of months.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join