It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP loses bid to cut maximum $13.7 billion Gulf spill fine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

A U.S. judge on Thursday rejected BP's attempt to reduce the maximum civil fine it could face for its role in the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill, leaving it potentially liable to pay $13.7 billion under the federal Clean Water Act.

- A US judge rejected BP's appeal to pay a cap of $3,000 per barrel under the country's Clean Water Act.

- Government prosecutors claim the firm is liable to pay $4,300 per barrel spilled to account for inflation.

- The court has yet to decide the amount of responsibility and final penalty the firm will pay for the disaster.

With the reduction BP was looking for, they would only be required to pay $9.57 billion instead of the proposed 13.7 billion. Just another corporation who thinks they don't have to follow the rules. Accidents happen, but it's how you deal with them that rebuilds the trust of your consumers.

BP was more worried about maximizing their profits DURING the disaster rather than cutting their losses and minimizing any more damage done. How do we stop the leak AND extract the remaining oil? Disgusting...

BP said it has incurred more than $42bn in liabilities for the spill, which includes the cost of the cleanup, victim compensation and potential fines.

C'mon, I think your pockets go a little deeper than that! BP accepted criminal responsibility in 2012 and forked over 4.5 billion to keep Uncle Sam quiet. Sorry, that doesn't bring back eleven dead workers and the countless dead, sick and dying marine life.

Their negligence lead up to the accident and I'd hate to think how many other companies out there are cutting corners, slowly polluting our water. Anyone care to get creative? What punishment do you think fits the crime? I would like to say only one thing to those who played a role in this...

Burn in hell.
There shall be no mercy for the wicked.

Link 1
Link 2

edit on 20-2-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yes, do not make it cheap to cheat and cut corners. Small fines. They will still do it. because they will still profit.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
They definitely need to pay a hefty fine for the damage the have caused and future damage as well remember sometimes it takes time for things to come to fruition, if they get hit hard you can expect to see gas go up a couple dollars to compensate there losses...a reply to: eisegesis

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Yeah, after I heard BP was more or less responsible for the spill, I didn't care what happened to them.

Any disaster this large should be considered a "kiss of death" for a company found guilty of wrong doing.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
So, they wreck the gulf and want to get out of paying for it. Screw them. Throw the book at them.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
So, they wreck the gulf and want to get out of paying for it. Screw them. Throw the book at them.

The book i say the library!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Come on now! Are you still mad even after all those warm fuzzy BP commercials about how dedicated they are to making things right? I'm surprised they didn't try to have the money they spent on propaganda deducted from the fine.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Okay, I'm guilty! I bought stock in the pelican scrubbing business and now, thanks to BP, I'm now too rich to care about the environment!

edit on 20-2-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
sue em to the ground.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It is disappointing the US authorities don't deal in such a punitive manner with US companies. The vast Mississippi Delta dead zone where no life exists was home grown, for example.

Reading up about this, it has become an industry where companies have a legal right to extort money from BP.

Sham justice.

Regards

top topics

join