It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Colonize planets to save the human race’ – Professor Stephen Hawking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
rt.com...

World famous physicist Stephen Hawking says humankind should colonize other planets to ensure the future of the species. He claimed armed aggression could end civilization and that space travel would provide somewhere to go.

While taking an American visitor on tour of London’s Science Museum, the physicist said colonizing other planets could be “life insurance” for whatever embattled remnants of the human race still existed following a nuclear apocalypse.

“Sending humans to the moon changed the future of the human race in ways that we don't yet understand,” he said.

“It hasn't solved any of our immediate problems on planet Earth, but it has given us new perspectives on them and caused us to look both outward and inward.”

“I believe that the long term future of the human race must be space and that it represents an important life insurance for our future survival, as it could prevent the disappearance of humanity by colonizing other planets,” he added.

“The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression. It may have had survival advantage in caveman days, to get more food, territory or a partner with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy us all.”

“A major nuclear war would be the end of civilization, and maybe the end of the human race.”

When asked which human facets he valued the most, he said “empathy.”

“The quality I would most like to magnify is empathy. It brings us together in a peaceful, loving state,” Hawking said.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

What if there are tribal societies in these extraterrestrial planets? Would this herald to a Scramble for Africa 2.0?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

He's right.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be peace in space, as much as there is no peace on Earth. War is human nature.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Authors Robert Anton Wilson and Timothy Leary (yes, when he wasn't following his bliss, or his Miss, he was a good writer and researcher) organized something they called SMI2LE (with the '2' raised up) and the first letters stand for "Space Migration". They argue that the human brain is already wired to migrate off-planet.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I believe this is the next step of human evolution, to be able to colonize other planets as a space travelling race.

What is alleged to have happened to humanity hundreds of thousands of years ago in the form of genetic tampering, engineering, and colonization will become a reality for humanity later on down the line. That is if we can get around the suppression of technology taking place and if we can keep from destroying planet Earth first.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
speaking of colonization that would take enormous time by the current mainstream science engines, one should ask Hawking and all, what drives will be used for that. Perhaps the experimental Alcubiere warp drive that ONE scientist of NASA develops officially, could be in a much more advanced level than we were told.

Together with already discovered planets with liquid water, these two inventions are capable of bringing a small colony from Earth to some not so distant planet (let say 50-60 ly or even 500 ly are our neighborhood).

Of course we can turn to those insiders of secret science projects who speak of a much more advanced space exploration and other technology that makes our mainstream science outdated for centuries ahead. If so, why don't they collaborate with NASA and the rest, to build the so necessary hyperdrives IN ENOUGH QUANTITY for ALL who WANT TO RELOCATE and assure the survival of the human race in case of a looming nuclear/other Armageddon scenario.

You don't have to be a prophet or president to see nuclear conflict is approaching fast. Pakistan alone has enough nukes to destroy the life on the planet, as once it were England and France. We have new realities in the postcold war and new nuclear powers with less restraint and doubtful governmental succession process. Scenarios have been developed constantly, what if one or more nuclear hot spots breaks out the WW3. It is something that concerns the US as well as the Brazilians even if they were not hit by a single nuke and don't have fallout on their territories. If the threshold of nuclear winter is reached, it wouldn't matter anymore.

Hawking is the latest in the raw of politicians and scientists who warned about that. He also warned recently about CERN experiments reaching too far with the god particle that at least theoretically could change the matter around us in some other form, practically meaning instant dead of anyone, for us and beyond the solar system (even the universe). True or not, realistic to be expected or not, it is yet another warning of the great scientist. It is foolish for a civilization that has been on the brink of self destruction on multiple occasions in the last 50 years, to take lightly such hi-profile warnings.

If there are secret space fleet from the major superpowers, let they be disclosed ASAP and let the process of enlisting volunteers starts. You don't need only young and strong warriors eating GMO. You need families to be saved, you need cultural traditions to be saved. What is the best heritage on Earth.

It would be sad if Yellowstone erupts and the survivors will have to save only their lives leaving behind all the earth civilization created for the last thousands of years. It would be the end of the earth's civilization, but not the end of the human race. Let make that distinguish, Hawking makes it too.

I have to congratulate Hawking who evolved much - from a pure astrophysicist with rarely understandable language, he moved to a great popularization of science, and now speaks of topics concerning the entire humanity. One of the few who are doing that. The other being Michio Kaku. If Hawking was not so much physically disabled, many people would vote for and would like to see him in hi public office. The disable situation makes him only more authentic voice of the science who cares for the humankind. So often the science simply does not care how the byproduct of the experiments will affect the humankind.

This is the 3rd warning of Hawking in a row. The one I didn't mention was the artificial intelligence and the dangers the humans to lose their civilization because of that. Besides, Bill Gates made such a warning too. I don't understand what is waited for MORE, in order to be told basic things of already changed reality, such as what is inside the chips of computers, what is the danger if we continue relying on smartphones (smarter than most of us if not all of us). And what is the exit way. Coupled with nuclear or other end times event, that we were constantly warned by movies but never really believed in.

We need to know not only the truth. We need the rescue way out. Hawking now for a first time speaks of such a way. Perhaps his revised theory of wormhole allows humans to use it for transportation to desired planet with friendly climate and without dinosaurs on it. Perhaps Hawking can help NASA and the world's governments. There are other ways, I already mentioned Alcubiere's drive. Let alone all those engineers and military who witnessed they already worked in secret programs with such devices, and now are ordered to speak out.

The time is NOW. The time is not 3 days before the disaster, not even 3 weeks. Imagine what chaos will happen with 7 bln population when they finally understand there is disaster, there is a way out, but they are not included in. Better start informing and including the volunteers right now. I'd wish we have 3 years of light and decisions taken /announced in broad daylight, not 3 days of darkness as some prophets say. It would be simpler, but not that many people would be saved in that case.

At least nobody can say he was not informed online. Everybody can search these phrases and keywords, and find the words of Hawking and others. It is one's own fault if he preferred other things to take his free time online. The ones who care, according to youtube counters, rarely surpass 1 mln people. That is not a small number, but not a big number either, for a worldwide population with top internet users in China followed by USA. If the Chinese have the excuse of censorship, what excuse the US users have, the French and German users? The internet should become hot of their questions and protests of what is still leaked truth. Of course, Ancient Aliens are not "leaked" anymore, they are official. The discovery of exo-planets is mainstream science. Hawking himself is the best example of mainstream scientists. Then perhaps the moment is indeed NOW, not the next month that may never come if many of us die in the hot war. If you will raise your voice, you'd better do it right now. Internet may suddenly stop before the real hostilities, as many wartime scenarios envision EMP on continental or LOCAL areas. In other words, none of us will have the luxury to discuss theories at the time of the events happening. We are granted that time now. It is not enough to hear Bassett speaking of congressional hearing. It needs my and yours active role, in forums and social networks. Count the numbers of pop stars getting on those videos. Shame for the intelligence online that allows to be outnumbered so easily! Perhaps indeed the collapse of earth's civilization is imminent if a pop star singing stupid texts would get 100 times more clicks.
edit on 20-2-2015 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

If you read our species history,and take into account our knowledge of the age and lifespan of RA/Sol/Sun,Then Stephen Hawkins theory cannot be denied.

There is no question that in the long term,he is correct in his hypothesis.

If we continue to expand in numbers,we have no choice other than to colonise other worlds.

We have the capacity to think ahead,yet we are a relativly young species.
Dinosaurs existed for hundreds of millions of years,without the ability to think ahead.
Think about that.
No tools,no buildings,yet they survived millions of times longer than our known history.

We need to get our act together as a species if we are to make it through the next 100 years.

Are we the species to seed other worlds?
I think we are.
We have to be.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Its basic logic. Its not putting all your eggs in one basket.
If the earth was ever destroyed that would be the end of us.

I wonder, if mankind hasnt been around for millions of years and has already colonized space, we just dont know about it.
And some of the "aliens" are actually humans. Or that we are just another human colony right here.
Total speculation of course, driven by the proposed age and location of some ooparts and "abduction" accounts of the "nordics".

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

Are we the species to seed other worlds?
I think we are.
We have to be.

I dunno, after seeing how we treat this home, Im not so sure we are.
Not yet anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

Looking at it differently
Isnt the implicit aim of genetic development, intelligence, longevity, indestructibility, working towards the ultimately aim of propagating the species – equipping humankind for space and its colonization.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Borisbanger

Looking at it differently
Isnt the implicit aim of genetic development, intelligence, longevity, indestructibility, working towards the ultimately aim of propagating the species – equipping humankind for space and its colonization.

The implicit aim of life itself is to survive.

My question is "Are we actually ready?"

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
How do we know that earth isn't just a planet our kind colonised in the past?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Um... What does it matter?...

It makes no difference whether we came here from somewhere else or not, the point is we need to get out of here anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
All attempts to colonise other planets will fail.
Until we get it right here.
Universally it would be a massive negative shift allowing such hostilities from becoming a world war to the prospect of war of the worlds.

At this present time, we are incapable of peace whilst tied to the current system of things.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

no we are not.

We need to breed modified humans

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What makes the human race so worth saving?

Hawking doesn't even recognize that he himself is part of the continuing evolution of mankind, having already partially merged with technology. Machines with intelligence and consciousness are just around the corner. Then it's possible that we will fade away like the Neanderthal.

We had our day in the sun, and accomplished plenty. There's no need for us to overstay our welcome.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Borisbanger

no we are not.

We need to breed modified humans

Ok then, so who gets to decide what characteristics go and which stay?
Who plays "God"?
The doctors?, the judges?, the politicians?

No thanks.

Unless Im misunderstanding what you mean by "modified".

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: sg1642

Um... What does it matter?...

It makes no difference whether we came here from somewhere else or not, the point is we need to get out of here anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'm predicting that it won't be so easy for ANY one person to "colonize" a planet without a background check of sorts...I believe the richest will be allowed to go first, hell maybe we will reenact the movie "Elysium". Earth will be left to the scrubs and corporate slaves. As long as we live in a monetary based economy like this we are going nowhere. Greed will triumph, not empathy...We have to fix ourselves before we can secure a future. Living in this current economy is like being in a bad marriage, you can't expect the marriage to last if you don't communicate and work on your problems...There is no longer a human race, only the elite and the poor as history can prove exactly that. I believe only the healthiest people with clean genetic lines will be permitted...but I jest...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Unless Im misunderstanding what you mean by "modified

Im talking about gene splicing appropriate characteristics for any given condition and purpose, borrowed from anywhere. Nobody has a say because if it can be done it will be

Its in us to sacrifice for the species
edit on 20-2-2015 by Borisbanger because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join