It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go to Prison for File Sharing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Go to Prison for File Sharing? That's What Hollywood Wants in the Secret TPP Deal

With the Drug War winding down, we thought the US of A might spend less on prisons. We now have Hollywood to the rescue of the private prison corperations and of course Hollywood expects the citizens to pay for it. I wonder if they had to pony up the cost of their proposed laws how they would feel about it?

Dangerously Low Threshold of Criminality

The US is pushing for a broad definition of a criminal violation of copyright, where even noncommercial activities could get people convicted of a crime. The leak also shows that Canada has opposed this definition. Canada supports language in which criminal remedies would only apply to cases where someone infringed explicitly for commercial purposes. This distinction is crucial. Commercial infringement, where an infringer sells unauthorized copies of content for financial gain, is and should be a crime. But that's not what the US is pushing for—it's trying to get language passed in TPP that would make a criminal out of anyone who simply shares or otherwise makes available copyrighted works on a “commercial scale

Penalties That Must be "Sufficiently High"

The penalties themselves could be enough to intimidate and punish users in a way that is grossly disproportionate to the crime. Based upon the leak, which showed no opposition in key sections, it seems TPP negotiators have already agreed to more vague provisions that would oblige countries to enact prison sentences and monetary fines that are "sufficiently high" to deter people from infringing again. Here is the text:

penalties that include sentences of imprisonment as well as monetary fines sufficiently high to provide a deterrent to future acts of infringement, consistently with the level of penalties applied for crimes of a corresponding gravity;

source

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I think this is almost an argument for regulating the internet right? I mean we all want a free internet. But so many people abuse the internet in this way and others. I know people who abuse it.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Amazing...because movies and profit are definitely more important than any actual individual citizen.
I don't agree with theft of any kind, intellectual or otherwise, but it sure is amazing how quickly issues like this get raised and taken care of...but find some problems in say the tax code and how its exercised, or police confiscating personal effects without trial for suspicion of a crime, well oddly enough those items seem to drag out endlessly with no conclusion in a positive light for the lowly taxpaying lemming.

Good OP

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I do not condone stealing music or movies either, nor do I feel obligated to pay for the policing and imprisoning file sharers.

I will add that I feel copyrights should have a shorter lifespan. Consider how long the media lasts, LP's, 8 track, cassettes, VCR and so on. We buy the right to listen to music and watch movies yet much of the media is now obsolete and as such a lot of what we bought is no longer usuable.

Edit: Bluejacket just wanted to clarify I agree with you!

edit on 20-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: Typos and the Edit stated

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is a total crock. Your internet provider tracks your movements on behalf of Hollywood anyway. Ever torrent a few movies and get that message that says " Warner Bros. has complained to us...." ?

Then if you continue they re route your internet service to a "platform" that only let's you access approved sites.

If you are caught illegally downloading a movie you should be fined the $10 or so the company is out for theater admission. Some will argue that the fines should be stiffer because you were probably downloading other movies too, but the law doesn't work that way.
For example if you were caught with say a gram of an illegal substance they don't get to charge you for a pound because you probably had it at some theoretical point.

Soon movie theaters will be a thing of the past and Hollywood needs to figure out how to move into the digital age profitably, but since they are mostly a group of unoriginal morons they can only re-hash old ideas like "throw 'em in jail!"
edit on 20-2-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Squid me!!

No fear here.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Great reply!

Unfortunately I can see the use no knock raids as they would not want anyone wiping their hard drives!

SAD

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If hollywood, game publishers, and music publishers didn't charge an exhorbitant amount for their content, this would be a non issue. All too many times, publishers push out crap, then charge top dollar for that crap content. I don't want to risk paying $30 for a Blueray, or $60 dollars for a game that sucks, then be left with no option for a refund if it's not good.

So until retailers give me the option to fully refund opened movies, games, or CD's I will torrent them. If I like them, I will buy them the next day to support the creators. If not, I delete said content.

I won't be held hostage to bad content.
edit on 2/20/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I do not condone stealing music or movies either

Copying is not theft.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

Agreed-

But is sharing?

Lol's maybe it's just another form of profit sharing.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The Internet changed everything. Information sharing became literally the push of a button. In the old days - you spent hours slaving over a hot photocopier, glancing over your shoulder for the librarian to come and stop you from copying that entire textbook, a dime at a time. You set your big boxy tape recorder next to the radio so you could hit RECORD as soon as you heard the first note of that great song. Heck, I remember when a selling point of Silly Putty was its ability to make a copy of the Sunday comic papers. This is not a new problem. The tech and the scale are what is new.

I firmly believe that intellectual rights need to be protected. I most strongly believe that sending armed policemen out to protect corporate interests is excessive, dangerous, a waste of resources and proof that we are simply incapable of accepting defeat. This is no longer possible to control technologically. Even China can't keep the entire Internet out. So the point will come - how much force are corporations willing to put on the streets to stop this? Boots on the ground in Little Falls over Grandad's copy of the original M*A*S*H movie? I thought I remembered Grandpa telling me how he faced bullets so folks could have freedom. Sorry, Grandpa.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Wait, what?

Sharing is theft?!
edit on 20-2-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Ok. But...please read the FBI warning on every movie, dvd, C.D. etc. Explain what it means to you. Then Ill tell you why youre mistaken.

Please enlighten me.

MS
Copyrighted Author 2009-
Trademark Co-Owner
Musical Copyright owner 1968-2015

Video Producer (+30) Music and commercial 1975-1994

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Copying Is Not Theft

Copying is not theft.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

No ones going to jail for file sharing. The jails are so full...they are cutting sentences...so no.

MS.
Copyrighted Author 2009-
Trademark Co-Owner
Musical Copyright owner 1968-2015

Video Producer (+30) Music and commercial 1975-1994

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Ah but you are leaving out the fact that the Drug War is under more fire from the general public then ever before in its entire history. If the Drug war ends how do you think they will fill the private prisons? and remember they want non violent criminals that can easily be induced into slave labor in said private prison!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I think youre grasping at unrealistic possibilities there. No matter what you may or may not believe.....this is just about file-sharing and convictions to prison.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

A comedy cartoon is in no way the LAW. But...I get it. Take people at their level I suppose...ok. Thanks much

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

No it's always about profits with corporations and the TPP is no exception, it is being written to increase profit,

period!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

As a kid in the 80's I used to record music off the radio all the time or from a friends cassette/CD. Did the music industry care then? Would they care now? Did I break any laws hitting record?

Now if I copy a file from the internet I'm a criminal. Lol, this world....
edit on 20-2-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join