It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sundarban Islands Disappearing Into Sea, India-Bangladesh Unprepared for 13Mil. Person Exodus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I asked recently about when would we actually start seeing evidence of the oceans rising. Well, my question(s) has been answered, unfortunately, as islands off the coast of India-known as the Sundarban Islands are disappearing into the ocean due to rising seas because of Global Warming. Indian officials are slowly preparing for the worst as they are expecting a mass exodus of refugees into the mainland, but they are not preparing fast enough, and in some instances, not at all.

Seas are rising more than twice as fast as the global average here in the Sundarbans, a low-lying delta region of about 200 islands in the Bay of Bengal where some 13 million impoverished Indians and Bangladeshis live. Tens of thousands like Mondol have already been left homeless, and scientists predict much of the Sundarbans could be underwater in 15 to 25 years.

That could force a singularly massive exodus of millions of "climate refugees," creating enormous challenges for India and Bangladesh that neither country has prepared for.

How can this be-some may ask...? Albeit, the Sundarban Islands are low-lying Islands, this paragraph from the story explains it nicely.

With rising temperatures melting polar ice and expanding oceans, seas have been rising globally at an average rate of about 3 millimeters a year -- a rate scientists say is likely to speed up. The latest projections suggest seas could rise on average up to about 3.3 feet this century.

That would be bad enough for the Sundarbans, where the highest point is around 9.8 feet and the mean elevation is less than a meter above sea level. But sea rise occurs unevenly across the globe because of factors like wind, ocean currents, tectonic shift and variations in the Earth's gravitational pull. The rate of sea rise in the Sundarbans has been measured at twice the global rate or even higher.

This is a preview of what's gonna happen. I hope this isn't also a preview of the response by officials because the Indian government has been slow to respond so far according to the article. "Coming Soon to a Landmass Near You!" What says ATS?

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 20-2-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Gotta love living on a water-based planet, never a dull moment!

The humans will live, but this is earth's body, not yours. Change is inevitable.

Cheers Gaia

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Yup it's LIKELY TO SPEED UP ahhh yup aaahhh Yupper Durn likely to speed up alright maybe money will stop it oh yupper yup yup.

3 mm per year and if it doesn't speed up??? Yup yup yupper yup

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

is this the same area that was reported on a new land mass emerging , or am i thinking of somewhere else .

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

is this the same area that was reported on a new land mass emerging , or am i thinking of somewhere else .

I recently read about some new land appearing in the gulf near the Louisiana coast. Check this link:

www.news.nom.co...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I am wondering if it is not so much as seas rising, but possibly the land is sinking.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
I am wondering if it is not so much as seas rising, but possibly the land is sinking.

I don't think so. Why would Glacial Melt cause land masses to sink?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I wasn't thinking so much that glacial melt causing land to sink, but possibly the land in question undergoing the same or similar phenomenon that is found in Venice, Italy. However i also think it is possible that the two (sining lands and rising seas) to occur simultaneously.
Just points to ponder

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

Any new land mass emerging would be due to volcanic eruption, which, by the way, is increasing because of the sea level rise due to added weight (pressure) on the crusts around these volcanoes from extra water.

new topics

top topics

join