It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"5 Important Things From History That No One Can Explain"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Cracked always has a high rate of entertainment value...

Number 1 is the most intriguing to me personally.

S&F KJ!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

5. We Don't Know What the Ancient Egyptians Actually Looked Like
We have mummys to use as prototype ancient egyptian examples. Presumably the mummys are more beautiful than the slaves.

4. There Are Giant Stone Heads in Central America, and We Have No Idea How They Got There

3. There Is a Huge Network of Mysterious, Man-Made Caves in China

2. We Can't Read One of History's Most Important Languages

1. The "Sea Peoples" Destroyed Virtually Every Major City of the Ancient World ... and We Have No Idea Who They Were

Don't know about the other four. Makes for good net surfing excuses. I'll subscribe to this one.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Twice you've said that you don't know why Religion was created...

& twice you've said that Religion was created to control the masses...

Not to derail or start a Religious discussion...

But stop it!
Edit: Not in a rude way.

I can see how that could be read wrong...

Sorry!

But stop it!

edit on 20-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

1. The "Sea Peoples" Destroyed Virtually Every Major City of the Ancient World ... and We Have No Idea Who They Were

That brings to mind that USO's were seen in Christopher Columbus's time and are claimed being seen today!

Great post!

Thanks

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I'm pretty sure that these people were said to have used boats not aircrafts or submersibles.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjackmaybe the sea people were survirors of atlantis or maybe they were just a group of nomadic pirates hit an area steal what they can go to next town spend the plunder then hit the next town

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Okay okay I looked into it and can't seem to find the method they used for this particular cave system but did find a technique called radiometric dating which I will be honest went way over my head. Look I am clearly no scientist but I am just saying I believe there is a lot we don't know about ancient history.
edit on 20-2-2015 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

I got this link from one of the sources Cracked used in its article.

Inside decoration?

According to Cao Dingyun, an expert in ancient writing, the cliff painting features the Chinese character "moon". The picture probably reflects a historical episode in the Han Dynasty (206BC-220AD), then the caves should be built in the ancient times during or after the period. But at a time of low technological level, how did the ancient people actually dig out the stones? For a vertical cave, the most obvious problem is how the stone stocks are carried out. The only link between the cave and the outside world is a patch of stairs. But the slope is very steep, and each stair is 60 centimeters from the other.

Looks like it was dated using ancient linguistics.

Look I agree that there is much we don't know about ancient history, but you can't just make up things that conflict with what we do know unless you can produce evidence that actually contradicts established knowledge.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Not much evidence if you ask me, but he is the expert.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Huh, well that's strange... the 2nd and 3rd images of Olmec stone heads pictured in the article (pg2 i believe) appear to be the same head, if you look at the imperfections around the mouth and the huge missing chunk on the "helmet/hat" in the front, to the right. Yet, they almost appear to be made of two different materials. The sheen/texture is different.

Different lighting conditions? Photo editing software used to "enhance" one of the images?

I should have also checked the surrounding areas... bonehead move on my part, but Im still 99.99% sure they are one and the same.

Whoever made the caption for the 3rd image from the top didn't seem to notice that... and I'm beginning to suspect the 1st image, severely cropped as it is, is also of the same Olmec stone head as well...
edit on 2/20/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Just googled 'Sea people' and it brought me to The sea peoples.
And it's been documented by the Egyptians, and a personal documentation of Ramesses the third, over about a 250 year period, it also explains that there were in total 9 peoples, all were identified, all attacked at different times, all had grudges against the places they attacked, and all banded together in different times and variations.

not so much a mystery...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

100% the same head with different background plants. Now has become the mystery of the stone head (single).

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Game of Thrones like world 50,000 years ago. Maybe some massive global cataclysm wiped out pretty much all the evidence save for some pyramids, cave systems, etc. Why is it that every culture talks about a great flood?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: works4dhs
Stitchin's theory on the Olmecs is that they were interlopers from Africa, forcing the natives to work the mines till they were overthrown. Among his evidence is the phenomena of those stone heads found marred.

Sitchin was obsessed with mines and mining, thinking it was the key to all advanced culture activity in the ancient world.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Why though? Why mining?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Gold.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
There's a thread HERE posted by Kantzveldt in 2013 on these caves, I've posted the op below because it has some nice pictures.

originally posted by: Kantzveldt
There have been two very large and mysterious cave complexes discovered in China in recent years, which are related in architectural and decorative style, nobody has any idea who built them, the best guesses aren't even very educated...

The two systems are at Longyou, 24 chambers thus far discovered, and Huashan, 36 chambers thus far discovered, of which one is open to the public.

This is Longyou;

In June, 1992, a villager named Wu Anai, decided to pump the water out in one of the locally known caves revealing the first of many man-made caves in the region. After 17 days pumping, enough water had been removed to reveal the cave including several carved stelae, thus confirming his idea that they were not natural reservoirs at all, but rather man-made. The floor of the grotto occupies more than 2,000 square meters, with the tallest point of the cave exceeding 30 meters. The four steles of cave 1 are symmetrically distributed. Following this discovery, he continued to pump out another four caves only to find that they all bore the same markings on the walls and ceilings.

Longyou Caves

And this is Huashan;

One sees everywhere the quite distinctive concern with carved pattern;

There has been some suggestion that this might relate to similar markings found on local pottery from around 500 Bc, but really nobody has identified this style with any certainty.

Also named Mystical Grottos in Flower Hill, the Chinese name is Huashan Mi Ku, found by a farmer when he climbed up the Flower Hill (Huashan) to cut wood in 2000.

There are totally 36 grottos distributively found in the foot of the Flower Hill now, they extend about 5 kilometers along the hill. The grotto interiors show evidence of having been chiseled. As no debris has been found in or around them, archeologists and scientists have yet do discover when and how they were built. Who built and for what?

is particularly worth mentioning is that the Grotto No.35, which is the largest one of its kind that found in Huashan now, extolled as the Underground Palace and Cool Palace, 18 meters in highest point, 170 meters in length, with an area of 12,000 square meters. There are 26 stone pillars triangularly supporting its ceiling, inside the grotto, there are many stone rooms, stone beds, stone bridges, stone storied buildings, stone gutters, and stone pools

Huashan Mystical Grottoes.

Very surprising then that no historical accounts of these caves exist or that artifacts have not been found inside, as to who built them my best guess for what it's worth would be a sect at the beginings of Taoism.

. The first reference to Huashan, which means "Flower Mountain", comes from the Chou Dynasty, 3000 years ago. In fact, the Chinese character "hua" (flower) was invented to name this mountain, which has five peaks that unfold like petals of a flower. Taoists, attracted to this powerful Five Element feng shui, have been coming to Huashan to meditate for at least 2200 years, according to Han dynasty records.

Taoists and Mount Huashan

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Why do you think it important to point out the level of anothers education on a given subject?
Respect his right to question , research ( if he so wishes ) and make up his own mind.

I am far more educated than you in many things , but would never dream of deriding you for it .

edit on 20-2-2015 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2015 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

True, but there certainly is more evidence for this argument than a civilization predating all known civilizations.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gideon70
Why do you think it important to point out the level of anothers education on a given subject?
Respect his right to question , research ( if he so wishes ) and make up his own mind.

I am far more educated than you in many things , but would never dream of deriding you for it .

He admitted to being undereducated on the subject when he said he hadn't heard about them before then decided to throw out the evidence that said how old they were. It wasn't like I was guessing at his intelligence level, he provided it, and I showed that given his knowledge on the subject he was wrong to just dismiss the accepted account just because he wants another hypothesis to be true. I'm not deriding him for it. I'm pointing out how he is being intellectually dishonest with how he questions information. Heck he even admitted to not having read the article (which if he had would have told him how old the caves were).
edit on 20-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join