It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any advice on buying an air compressor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
So here is what I need the thing to do.

Run nailers, all nailers (easy).

Run a sander.

Run air tools for automotive.

Run paint guns for exterior and interior painting.

Needs to last.

Needs to be easy to maintain.

I don't mind spending money for quality. I'm looking at a DeWalt Link but not sure if it's going to be able to tackle painting. 5 SCFM seems to be adequate for what the paint sprayers require, but I'm wondering if they low ball that number.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Get a Makita, I have not been disappointed yet.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I always used SIP but yeah that post above - you can't usually go wrong if you have Makita branded tools.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

From what I've been led to believe is that to paint properly and you'll need 2.5-3 hp, which generally means 15 amp instead of standard 10 amp.

The Dewalt you've linked to is quite little, it'll probably handle hobby painting but if you want to do a house, you'll be cursing it forever.

ETA: This has the specs I'd recommend..

www.peerlessproducts.com.au...

It has good specs for a 10 amp

Only problem is it's an Australian compressor lol

edit on 20/2/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Borrow the missus if you want , plenty of air comes out of her mouth , oh wait you said easy to maintain .

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1 Any air tool uses a lot of volume of air. To prevent the compressor from having to run all the time. You need a large tank to store all that air. Buy a compressor that has pistons and a oil sump. If it has a after-cooler that is even better. When it comes to air compressors "The Bigger, The Better".

You did not mention if your compressor had to be portable or stationary.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Campbell Hausfeld 5-HP 80-Gallon 4-Cylinder Dual-Voltage Single-Stage Air Compressor

I have ran this compressor in my shop for 6 years now on 220v. It never gives up and can run a DA sander for over 5 min before it cycles back on. Pricey and stationary. Its about $1000USD.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
What he said... I have one and have NO ISSUES !
I do all you do you plan on and more.
Be mindfull of the hose size or it will NOT matter what you get.
3/8" is good for most every app you will ever need.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Hilti. If not Hilti, Rigid.

Settle for nothing else.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I have a Thomas pancake duel tank compressor that I used for years in building houses. It puts out 5 cfm at 125 and could keep up with just about any tool I used. The drawback is I paid 500 bucks for this back in the mid eighties, but I still have it and it works good. I put two new pistons in it ten years ago, but it is the only air compressor I ever saw that kept up with my needs. I hate waiting for the compressor to build up.

I also have a thirty gallon five horse tank compressor, an eighty gallon five horse commercial compressor for my shop and a little fifties antique air compressor that looks like the atom bomb they dropped on Japan in the forties. No, I"m not too OCD
I only have thirteen spray guns and twenty eight air tools along with half a dozen air nailers and two gas nail guns.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The small compressors are fine for nailers, but sprayers and tools which require a high duty cycle will outpace any of the small portable units out there. I bought a Quincy Q13160VQ and it is the bee's knees. Very quite and hasnt given me any issues. Just buy the biggest unit you can afford, especially if you are going ti be doing any continuous duty stuff. You can always buy a small cheap pancake compressor for the nailer.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should have mentioned that I want portable. Now I want something bulletproof that can just run any nailer I throw at it. Figure that's doable for around $300-400 .

Thinking I'll have to sacrifice the ability to paint and get an electric paint gun. That's fine. I might just do it the old fashioned way way too since it will probably be faster than me learning something new.

I'm fairly handy at most things, but have always been a horrible painter. There's the patience thing, and for some reason I just lack skill too.

new topics

top topics

join