It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Dan Wesson Mod. 15/Pachmayr Presentation grips question

page: 1

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:05 AM
Pic drop incoming in 3.... 2..... 1.....

My new baby: Dan Wesson Model 15

Detail of left side thumb cut

Detail of bottom grip, with Pachmayr markings.

Lately, I've had the itch to go a bit more "old school" in a pistol, owning nothing but polymer striker-fired handguns so far in the journey of owning and shooting arms.

Well, this baby drew me in like a magnet at the LGS the other day, and I'm the proud new owner of this Dan Wesson Model 15, chambered in .357 Magnum, with the 6" vent-rib barrel, built in Monson Mass. It was sold to me not as a Pistol-Pac, but only with the included barrel and shroud. Oh well, a 4-6 inch .357 is right around what i had in mind. Judging by the turn ring, worn bluing on the cylinder, other edges, etc. she definitely wasn't a safe-queen. Saw quite a bit of wear in a holster, or maybe some use in competition.

From the research I've done so far, DW serial numbers were a bit all over the place, so I haven't been able to exactly date the pistol itself, but what interested me more were the grips. Can't find anywhere that the Pachmayr Presentation grips that came on it were ever a factory option. (Perfect feeling grip, by the way.)

Nearly all other modern Pachmayrs I've seen had that little bronze-looking round insert on both sides. So, what I'm wondering, is was there a time in the past they made them plain, as seen, or was it maybe a spec order option? Anyone able to tell roughly when the Pachmayrs were made from the provided shots?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:04 AM
I would suggest that these grips are from the mid 70's to early 80's. I did a lot of shooting back in the 70's and 80's. This was a popular setup back then.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:21 PM
a reply to: Ceeker63

Ah, thanks. I can see why it was such a popular setup, handles like a dream. From what I've read, the DW's pretty much dominated silhouette shooting back in the day, due to the accuracy of the swappable barrel system.

Thanks again, fellow okie.

new topics