It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Niagara Falls almost completely frozen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This was posted in another thread and is just now gaining steam on the internet and mainstream media.

www.cnn.com...

Ice has suddenly blossomed across the Great Lakes, with the ice pack nearly doubling in just a little more than a week. The lakes are now more than 85% iced over, according to the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, with Lake Erie leading the way at more than 98%.

For the first time in (not quite) forever, Niagara Falls looks pretty much frozen,

I tried so hard to capture the pic, maybe someone else can grab it but the google is hating me right now and chrome says no.

It's pretty astonishing.
Also, apparently, the Great Lakes are almost locked up.

time.com...

www.usatoday.com...

edit on 2/19/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
How about a few pictures???

Nature is absolutely amazing isn't it?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Everything old is new again, I guess!?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Steady on there sport! That's a hoax apparently, wrong falls. Never trust the internet!

The sepia-toned photograph shown above, which dates to about 1909, corresponds to a view of the American Falls:

image: www.snopes.com...

Although the text that accompanies the sepia image in e-mail forwards and social media postings usually states that the photo dates from 1911, other sources assign a variety of different dates to it. Much of the Niagara River around the falls was frozen in 1912, an ocurrence that resulted in a tragic accident when an ice bridge across the river broke free from its shoring as several people were traversing it. Three people were unable to make it back to shore in time and were killed as the loosened ice plunged down the river.
Read more at www.snopes.com...

Pull yer socks up Qumulys, sheesh
edit on 19-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

Additionally:

During occasional periods of prolonged cold weather falling water and spray from Niagara Falls may freeze into ice formations, and ice mounds or floes may form in the Niagara River (sometimes creating ice bridges that stretch across the width of the river), but only once in recorded history has freezing weather actually stopped water from flowing over the falls. This instance occurred in March 1848 when a preponderance of ice above the falls reduced the flow of water over the falls to a trickle, as reported in the Buffalo Express newspaper:
Read more at www.snopes.com...

edit on 19-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks Kanga! The internet Gods must be crazy for me today.

Anyways, supposedly the water is flowing below the surface. So, so cool.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Incredible pics! Very beautiful.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Obviously it is REALLY cool.

We have some natural springs that freeze up near Natural Bridge when it gets that cold here and they put food coloring in it as it freezes so the lights shining on it at night make it look amazing. One day I'll have to get a pic of it and post it here.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Lake Ontario is over 75% frozen right now as well. Even last year's cold winter only saw around 30%. Lake Ontario has not been frozen like this since 1933-34.

It happened fast too. My husband and I were driving along the lake on the weekend and we noticed that Burlington Bay was completely frozen and the shore line was frozen pretty far out. We spent the day in Toronto and on the way back we couldn't believe how much further the ice had extended in just a short portion of the day. With more frigid weather in the forecast, I think we may beat the 1933 record.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I think I am going to grab my camera and my daughter and go take a few pics of my own this weekend. Once in a lifetime event if they do completely freeze over.

(unless of course it's a new norm

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
That takes some serious cajones. I enjoy rock and mountain, and especially tree climbing.
I think I'll be a little wuss and pass on climbing a frozen waterfall.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
and yet we got a avg of 77 this month in lasvegas when it should be 62 man its going to be a hot year

... ill post pics of me cooking a egg on the street next month lol

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ha ha ha ha!!!!!! The thread caught my attention, as I am editing 3D footage of Niagara Falls from Tuesday. Lo' and behold: I'm in the CNN photo, walking away from taking my 3D shots.

I love this forum!!!
edit on 20-2-2015 by shefskitchen because: I originally stated the photo was taken Monday morning. It was Tuesday morning.

new topics

top topics

join