It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Nano tech spell the end of worth ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I was just thinking about nano technology and came to the conclusion nothing would have 'worth' anymore.. you could turn wood into diamond, or dust into gold dust, everything on earth merley consists of atoms so nothing would have value over anything...... im making sense?? if i am.......the whole world would be turned upside down! *not literally*

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Mr Lukas]

[edit on 17-12-2004 by John bull 1]

Nox

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You're looking too far into the future.

By then our values and beliefs would have had ample time to evolve.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If nano tech can do that stuff in the future nano tech would be the thing that had value. So instead of gold and diamonds being worth alot nano tech will be in its place.

But I dont think nano tech willl be changing things at a atomic level anytime in the near future.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Id like to think we would have evolved more spiritually and morally, but 'worth' has been the most fundametal thing in a civilisation, if its cavemen swapping sharp rocks for meat or some guy working to pay his rent, even though it will be far into the future.. money will still be a huge factor... and if nano tech makes worth useless.... what the hell do we do?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
With nanotech there will still be valubles it will just be purely virtual or rare elements.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
i just had a silly thought regarding the whole subject, you cannot put a price on talent, so i guess entertaining people would be the way to live in a 'post worth world' the term 'singing for your supper' is quite relavant....... am i making sense to anyone?? it sounds good in my head...almost... im thinking about it to much.. im going to bed.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Lukas
i just had a silly thought regarding the whole subject, you cannot put a price on talent, so i guess entertaining people would be the way to live in a 'post worth world' the term 'singing for your supper' is quite relavant....... am i making sense to anyone?? it sounds good in my head...almost... im thinking about it to much.. im going to bed.

Yeah you make sense, but they are going obsolete as well, just look at video games. Sure they still use voice actors but pretty soon that won't be necesary anymore.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What makes the value diamonds important? Gold is still rare, as is pallidium, etc..

I don't get your point. Who cares if diamonds become worthless. The useful work that can only be done by individuals will still have worth, and it will be exchanged for other things of worth (usually involving the time of other individuals).

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
i guess it opens into a new subject of 'human worth' and that were becoming more obsolete.... well... us men are anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

i guess it opens into a new subject of 'human worth' and that were becoming more obsolete.... well... us men are anyway.

Well yes it does open up a whole range of issues. But there is somthing you're missing. And that is Human Enhancement or another way to put is is Intelligently directed evolution(no its not some kooky Creationist Theory) Through the use of Genetics and Nanotechnology. Do you play Video Games? If so I suggest you check out System Shock 2, Dues Ex 1 & 2. If not I suggest you read this site here.

www.betterhumans.com... its primarily a news site but has alot of out-of-box opinion columns about human enhancment.

and also read Engines of Creation by K. Eric Drexler, the grandfather of nanotechnology. And if you're technically inclined then check out Dr. Feynmans(the Great Grandfather of Nanotech) seminal presentation "There is plenty of room at the bottom" google it up and be amazed.

[edit on 16-12-2004 by sardion2000]

[edit on 16-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the links, hopefully they will quench my nano worth thirst!

Nox

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Id like to think we would have evolved more spiritually and morally, but 'worth' has been the most fundametal thing in a civilisation, if its cavemen swapping sharp rocks for meat or some guy working to pay his rent, even though it will be far into the future.. money will still be a huge factor... and if nano tech makes worth useless.... what the hell do we do?

Dude,

I wouldn't worry about the "end of worth" any time soon. It doesn't matter if "nano-tech" will be able to implement alchemy. Where is the ENERGY going to come from to perform alchemy?

Energy will always have value.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
You cant turn wood into gold, you can turn any thing made of one elemnt into something else made of that element.
I think by the time are tech. has become sophisticated enough to make something appear out of thin air in a few seconds time, our values and mindset will be different, as is, I find money to be a horrible thing, I only use it because I have to, money will not always be a neccessity.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Only the future will tell... And I plan to be there. To the cryogenics lab!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Aren't you planning ahead?

I see that happening decades, if not centuries in the future.

I don't think we have even reach stage 1 of nano tech, let alone stage 299 (I just like that number

So no worries.

Surf

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Like the Federation in Star Trek, I don't think they have a currency because the replicator technology can make anything from anything, so their would be no point!

Nox

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So why do those trekkies need to look for their precious dilithium crystals?

Trust me, worth exists in the future.

Energy will always have worth. Currently, we use money to measure energy (effort).

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
well, time shall tell, but i'll be long dead by then hopefully.

top topics

join