It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity or the need to change.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hello all.
I have a question to ask that may seem, at first, to be completely barbaric. But on reflection may actually merit some examination.

My question is this: should we really use the concept of humanity in our discussion of current world events?

My point is this. We are living in times of huge inhumanity in the world;
TERRORISM: People are being killed in such barbaric ways that they defy belief.
CRIME: It seems that crime itself is almost applauded.

My question is this. At what point should we stop thinking as humans, using humanity as an excuse to NOT punish abusers in a reciprocal way. Put another way, when should we decide to impose The rule that 'The punishment should fit the crime'? And when we talk about punishment, shouldn't it be more than repayment?

Taken to its logical conclusion it would be something like this:

CRIME: If you steal a loaf of bread, you should create loaves of bread in return. If you kill somebody on purpose, not only you but those you love should be killed.
TERRORISM: Terrorist uses a suicide bomb to kill innocents. Family of terrorist is placed in an area where a bomb is exploded.

Of course the whole idea has so much range. It's a bit science fiction really. However, and here is my point, the whole idea of justice and punishment is primarily based on religious ideals. And yet we are seeing that those very ideals are creating an inability to punish in a way that would actually make a difference. If a terrorist's only fear is that he will die, will he falter? If he fears for the life of his family...does that change things? If a killer only has to worry about being caught will he think again? What about if he has to worry about his whole genetic line?

Just a very brief idea of what I am trying to talk about. We live in a society where humanity is sovereign...until it isn't, then what?

It is an exercise in philosophy, don't kill me for the message.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I get where you're coming from. I do.

However two wrongs don't make a right. At what point do we stop and take a look at ourselves and realize that we don't want to descend that far down the rabbit hole? Because at some point you'll become what you are trying to combat.

That being said, I think there are some problems that need to be dealt with much more harshly than we do, and I think we have lost our sense of perspective on right/wrong and good/evil in our rush to not be mean and not be judgmental.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Your points are valid. I proposed the question because of actual conversations I have had lately.

Let's look at the case of Ed Gein. Ed Gein was purely a product of his mothers behaviour. If she had been alive, she would have had to stand trial.

edit on 19-2-2015 by Jonjonj because: add info

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

And I understand. I'm just pointing out that while I think we do need to toughen up, I think we have to be really careful about how far we go and where we draw that line.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Jonjonj

And I understand. I'm just pointing out that while I think we do need to toughen up, I think we have to be really careful about how far we go and where we draw that line.

I think the point is to what Level are we prepared to go to protect that which we don't seem prepared to protect right now.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I guess no one wishes to debate the issue, MODS you can delete this thread as it will save space. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
If we had harsher & faster enacted death penalties there would be a lot less people committing crimes.

top topics

join