It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone here in forensics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
hey all,

My little sister is about to start college. Shes a hard worker much more so than myself in the educational department im proud of her. She wants to get into forensics and is taking biology and math classes. im wondering if anyone here has a background id like to talk to you about getting some info so i can help he make the right choices.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
I can't be of much help. I've done some computer forensics, but I wish her the best of luck in her career choice. She might consider contacting a veteran in the field, and ask them what they would do differently if they had to do it all over again. One last thing I'd like to add. Forensics is a field that exposes you to things you might not want to see. I hope she's a strong girl.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Baylor University in Waco Texas has a great forensics department. They began it before CSI, etc started making it a popular major.

I highly recommend their program. It is pricey, but the education there is first class.

To stave off the cost, she can go to the Baylor website and look up all the required classes, then take all the freshmen and sophomore level classes that are required at a local community college. Then when she has finished the lower level classes that are required for the program, transfer over to Baylor for the actual forensics classes.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
Baylor University in Waco Texas has a great forensics department. They began it before CSI, etc started making it a popular major.

I highly recommend their program. It is pricey, but the education there is first class.

To stave off the cost, she can go to the Baylor website and look up all the required classes, then take all the freshmen and sophomore level classes that are required at a local community college. Then when she has finished the lower level classes that are required for the program, transfer over to Baylor for the actual forensics classes.

As someone who only did a year and a half of college because of cost, let me second community college! I had a counselor suggest an out of state college that I truly couldn't afford! I had to quit before the second year was over because I couldn't afford another $40k loan! And then to do it for 4 more years? No. I second Grand. Look up the classes you need, take them at community if you can, then transfer as late as you can. The longer you can stay at community the more money you will save. Don't make the same mistake I made.

Edit, I was a Education Major, Journalism Minor.
edit on 2/19/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I looked it up:
She can take in community college and transfer in:
English (2 freshmen level)
Calculus
4 semesters of the same foreign language
the first Anthropology course (Intro to Anthropology)
Intro to Psychology
2 Physical Education courses
Beginning Biology
Beginning Chemistry
Beginning Geology
Any other lower level Biology classes

Taking these before arriving at Baylor will save time and about a year+ worth of expensive tuition.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yeah exactly im hoping to hook her up with someone that can help mentor her.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Yeah thats what i said but shes really got her head set on this college.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Does she want to go into Serology or Microscopy?

I did my undergrad intership with the Dept. of Criminal Investigations.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Microscopy.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Microscopy.

She should focus on inorganic and organic chemistry.

Also look for internships.
edit on 19-2-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Ahhhh ok nice. yeah im going to show her the thread when she crawls back out of bed. i appreciate the input

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I know a forensic anthropologist... if that counts.

I am relieved as when I saw the thread the first thing I thought of was "Great, who has onequestion wasted?"

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Youd have to reeeaaalllly push some big buttons to get that reaction out of me. LOL.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Once my counselor kept pushing and pushing and pushing, eventually I did too. And it was a good small college that was an offshoot of a German college in a tiny Ohio town. I loved being there and would have loved getting a Masters degree, but looking back, it wasn't MY idea, it was his. Probably commission based or something.

Heidelberg University In Tiffin, OH

An offshoot of
Heidelberg University In Heidelberg, Germany

One thing I did like, and would have LOVED to do, was participate in the exchange program. That is one of my main regrets. They had an exchange program with the German college. They would send German students to the US college, and we would send US students to the German one for one year. I would have loved to experienced that.
edit on 2/19/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Also remind her this will save her a TON of money, and LESS loans to repay down the line.

(Always a plus!)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I used to be LEO for a large department. 'Crime Scene' investigators were officers who were assigned to that division. Most of their work was pretty mundane- dusting for fingerprints at burglaries and such, taking photographs of criminal mischief. Of course they were called out to the gruesome scenes to photograph as well. For field forensics for the real gnarly stuff (murders) the Medical Examiner was called to the scene before moving/transporting the body for full autopsy.

Now, I think the department was moving to replace LEOs with civilians to cut costs. But I wouldn't swear to that (it's been a few years).

Beyond that I would advise her to really research job opportunities and requirements (as with any field) to be sure there will be a place for her out in the real world. Have a clear cut goal so she knows exactly how she should focus her studies.

Beyond all that I have no idea what job you could actually do with a degree in forensics other than private companies? I would assume that police departments and the government would contract to such companies (for instance- rape kits are done by medical staff at the hospital and then they are sent to companies for DNA mapping). There MAY be an actual full time position with an especially large entity such as the FBI, but I'm sure that's extremely competitive.

Hope this helps, be sure and let me know if I can expound on any of this.

new topics

top topics

join