It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropopause drops to 7500 feet over Cincinatti

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's where that dip in the jet-stream is.

Yep.

The jet stream dips are not in the exact same spots year after year, nor is the degree of dip the same all the time.

There is also the "zonal flow" and "meridional flow" jet stream that also determines how far south the cold air gets pushed. This can also vary from year to year.

Here's some basic info about it:

When the upper level winds are parallel or nearly parallel to the lines of latitude the wind pattern is termed zonal. When the winds cross the latitude lines at a sharp angle, the wind pattern is termed meridional. In a meridional pattern the jet stream will have highly amplified troughs and ridges. Low pressure systems tend to move faster (west to east) when associated with a zonal flow. A highly meridional flow can cause atmospheric blocking and spells of much below and much above normal temperatures. A meridional pattern, which its highly curved flow, generates more vorticity than that associated with a zonal flow. Forecasting becomes more challenging when the jet stream has a meridional pattern.

Link

As for this "drop in troposphere" thing ?

The only thing I'm aware of is that it does drop at various latitudes during different seasons... the colder it is the more the tropopause will drop due to less convection... but dropping 7500 feet (in one spot) and whether or not that's normal ?

Ya got me.

edit on 20-2-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Iwinder

Actually this could cause problems for air travel, but not for the reasons you think. There's a relatively new icing phenomenon that has become a little more common with the newest generation of engines.

What happens is ice crystals start to form on the inlet, and non moving parts of the engine. Eventually that ice breaks off and goes through the engine, where it gets stuck and causes a blockage, resulting in a power rollback.

Under normal conditions, as they come down into warmer air, usually by 10,000 feet, it melts and they can recover. In this case, with such cold temperatures so low, if they suffer a rollback, it could happen almost on the ground with no time to recover.

Thanks for answering my question Zaph that is much appreciated. So whenever this happens I assume its not a good idea to fly over or through these things :-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

Thanks for the video, both Graham and Randall are two people that i look up to personally. Big fan.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777
a reply to: kosmicjack

i live in cincinnati ohio have all of my life
and man oh man is it cold the paast few winters have been hell negitve 12 and so on i grew up here so i know this is not normal winters im freezing under blankets right now i think ohio is drifting north or north is drifting south

How about the winter of 77-78. We had -20 degrees for 20 days and Cincinnati survived. The Ohio River froze-over and there were people walking to northern Kentucky from downtown Cincinnati. All river traffic stopped even crushing boat hulls so this is no big event in my mind.

I looked out my window to see the sky falling. It looked OK to me! Nothing happening. It must be global warming...er...global cooling...er...climate change. What are we calling it today? How about winter? I think winter is cold but the politicians aren't sure.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
'Ice Volcano' forms at NY state Park

The arctic conditions have turned a fountain at a state park in western New York into a five-story-tall "ice volcano."

The pressure-fed fountain is in a pond near the Glen Iris Inn at Letchworth State Park, which straddles the Wyoming-Livingston county line 40 miles south of Rochester. Days of subzero temperatures have formed a solid cone of ice several feet thick with water still spouting out of the top.

Park officials tell local media that the formation dubbed an ice volcano is at least 50 feet high.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Actually if i had to put my money on it id bet that the advanced civilization exist before the first cataclysmic event starting before 15,000 years ago and that the inhabitants of these ancient relics lived in and around these monuments during the younger dryas first for survival reasons and secondly because because of their religions.

That's possible I'd admit. I think it's more likely though that societies and mans advancement was set back by climate change events. The reason I say that is an advanced society would leave more evidence, since they would be using more advanced, durable materials. Still I'm open to that idea.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Well, I can tell you that we shattered a 130 year old record for lowest temperature for Feb 19. The old low was -5 F set in 1885 and Cincinnati officially hit -12 F at the airport. Middletown recorded -15 F. As for me, I was just pretty freaking cold shoving people in the van all day and didn't smoke as many cigarettes as a result.

So we might be able to conclude that a lower altitude tropopause reduces outdoor smoking somewhat. That or I am becoming more of a wuss to cold as I get older despite having dressed rather warmly.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

I was just pretty freaking cold shoving people in the van all day and didn't smoke as many cigarettes as a result.

So we might be able to conclude that a lower altitude tropopause reduces outdoor smoking somewhat.

LMAO! I bet it does...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

It was so cold just outside Dayton the dogs could barely do their business. The ground was hurting their feet after a minute or two.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

But the remnants of the ancient past are durable. Look at the pyramids...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Ahabstar

It was so cold just outside Dayton the dogs could barely do their business. The ground was hurting their feet after a minute or two.

Mine likes to pretend her leg is broken and she can't walk anymore. She'll do her business, jump about in the snow, eat a bit of snow, then start "hobbling". LOL Once she starts hobbling, that's when I know she's had enough. If she sits her butt down, then she's REALLY had it up to here with snow! LOL Although, how she thinks planting her butt on a freezing sidewalk is going to improve her situation, is beyond me, but whatever. I then start walking away, and she starts "limping" after me like her back leg is broken. Once she's inside the lobby of the apartment building, you'd think an Evangelical preacher healed her or something. Hallelujah! She can walk normal once again! LOL

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Our rottweiler mix does that. Our pitty mix sous down and bites at his foot then dances around. But they're fine with fighting with each other.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Anyafaj

Our rottweiler mix does that. Our pitty mix sous down and bites at his foot then dances around. But they're fine with fighting with each other.

It's too funny how they react in this weather. Mine loves the snow, and hates it in the same breath. LOL She's part Chihuahua, part Jack Russell, and part Mini-Pinscher. She's on page 1

Post your dog Thread

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

i agree i deont look up at sky falling anymore lol
i was born in 79 but its cool i know what you mean

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777
a reply to: buddah6

i agree i deont look up at sky falling anymore lol
i was born in 79 but its cool i know what you mean

I was born in 1970. For me, this stuff is normal. I went through a massive blizzard in '81 I think it was? We had gone down to Jersey for Christmas vacation I believe, at my Nana's house, when we got back, there was a huge 13 inch block on ice and snow worth in our driveway so we couldn't park our car. My sister and I had gone through 3 pairs of gloves and were on double sock by the time a guy from the paper had come by and taken our picture. As kids, this was huge excitement making the local paper. It's still in a scrapbook somewhere that my dad has, though Lord knows where with that man. The paper guy took the photo at the right moment as my sister and I were hauling away and 13 inch block of ice that was so heavy it took the two of us to move. It was about 2 feet, by 3 feet, by 2 feet. We had been using a shovel for the snow on top, and an ice chopper to get through the massive ice below.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I have a gut feeling that we might be witnessing the early stages of the next Ice age. IMHO yes we have warming, but maybe its destabilized the climate enough so it suddenly dips to a deep freeze. I live in the deep south in an area that usually doesnt see very much cool weather and we have had WEEKS of the coolest weather in my memory. Something is going on and its not normal.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

I have a gut feeling that we might be witnessing the early stages of the next Ice age. IMHO yes we have warming, but maybe its destabilized the climate enough so it suddenly dips to a deep freeze. I live in the deep south in an area that usually doesnt see very much cool weather and we have had WEEKS of the coolest weather in my memory. Something is going on and its not normal.

Weather is a dynamic thing and is always changing. This weather is not a problem to worry about. Many things affect the weather. In the 1790's, volcanoes in Iceland erupted putting so much ash in the air that it changed weather in western Europe for 10 years. This was called the mini-iceage.

Volcanoes in Alaska have been erupting this year. This may have caused the "Trans-Canada jet stream" to move farther south bringing artic air deep into the US. So far, this winter has been fairly mild overall.

If you have this type of weather for ten years in a row or if you have a super cold July then there may be a problem. Just remember, climate change is a method to move your money from your pocket into the pocket of someone else.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6

originally posted by: openminded2011

Weather is a dynamic thing and is always changing. This weather is not a problem to worry about. Many things affect the weather. In the 1790's, volcanoes in Iceland erupted putting so much ash in the air that it changed weather in western Europe for 10 years. This was called the mini-iceage.

Volcanoes in Alaska have been erupting this year. This may have caused the "Trans-Canada jet stream" to move farther south bringing artic air deep into the US. So far, this winter has been fairly mild overall.

If you have this type of weather for ten years in a row or if you have a super cold July then there may be a problem. Just remember, climate change is a method to move your money from your pocket into the pocket of someone else.

I agree, but the "someone else" I think is big oil if we ignore it at our peril.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It's the sun. It has gone to sleep at the height of the solar maximum. Ice age coming.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fromabove
It's the sun. It has gone to sleep at the height of the solar maximum. Ice age coming.

Ice Age...what was the animal in the movie chasing? Was it an acorn? Sorry, I was just having a moment...lol.

The spring equinox will be here in a few weeks and hopefully it'll warm up a little.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join