It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropopause drops to 7500 feet over Cincinatti

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: kosmicjack

The stable climate is essentially a gift from the universe. My current opinion is that we are about to hit an ice age.

I've been watching the winter temperatures all year this year. So far all winter its been warmer in Alaska then it's been in Pennsylvania. What am i talking about?

source

Siberia enjoys a well-deserved reputation as one of the coldest places on Earth. But the last time the planet got really cold, Siberia apparently didn't go along for the ride, providing animals a warm oasis from the Ice Age

During the last glacial period the Siberian tundra was actually a haven for wildlife. Weird right? It wasn't until the cataclysmic event at the end of the younger dryas that the climate changed in that region. On top of that the human population is experiencing lower birthrates.

Thanks for the thread Kosmic i was about to put a thread together about the coming glacial period.

I can tell you now it's going to hit negative 35 tonight in PA near Pittsburgh where I live. Brrrr! Apparently cold in Kentucky too because the police issued an arrest warrant out for Queen Elsa of Frozen. LOL I could really use some warmth right about now. I wouldn't do good in an Ice Age. Not with Raynaud's Phenomenon anyway.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Right now its 30 degrees in Alaska and 10 degrees in Pennsylvania.

Supposed to hit negative 35 tonight near Pittsburgh.

It's -10 right now with an advisory.

Wind Chill Advisory from 2/19/2015 6:37:00 PM to 2/20/2015 12:00:00 PM

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY...
* WIND CHILL...15 TO 25 BELOW ZERO.
* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH THIS
EVENING...DECREASING OVERNIGHT.
* LOW TEMPERATURES...5 TO 15 BELOW ZERO.
* IMPACTS...FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA ARE POSSIBLE IF
PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WIND
WILL PRODUCE LOW WIND CHILL INDICES. THIS COULD RESULT IN FROST
BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST
VENTURE OUTDOORS...MAKE SURE YOU DRESS PROPERLY.

My dog goes to the bathroom every 2 hours. So between 7pm and 4am I will be out in this mess taking her out to go potty with a fever, sore throat, and bronchitis, trying not to die (or desperately trying not to kill a dog). LOL

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Oh were really going back into a glacial period for sure. It may not be an ice age but more like the glacial period in the 1500's.

You can analyze this from another perspective as well. Look at the decline in population and look at what was happening culturally during the last glacial period. You gotta listen to Randall Carlson this guy is onto something big.

NY Times piece on declining population in Europe.
edit on 2/19/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Oh its no joke man ive been onto this for a while and im not alone either.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Great info that mc_squared shared...

We are not going into another ice-age... we're still in one. We're not going into a new glacial period any time soon. These bitter temps we've experienced over last winter and now this one are very focused on a small section of the planet... it is unusual for it to be this bad in the North East US, usually it hits Alaska, Canada, Northern Europe and Northern Russia. We generally get our cold snaps where Arctic air does blow in and drops us to teens and single digits for a few days here and there but this is new levels of suckage. And yes it's because global warming is affecting the jet stream.

Study

Abstract

New metrics and evidence are presented that support a linkage between rapid Arctic warming, relative to Northern hemisphere mid-latitudes, and more frequent high-amplitude (wavy) jet-stream configurations that favor persistent weather patterns. We find robust relationships among seasonal and regional patterns of weaker poleward thickness gradients, weaker zonal upper-level winds, and a more meridional flow direction. These results suggest that as the Arctic continues to warm faster than elsewhere in response to rising greenhouse-gas concentrations, the frequency of extreme weather events caused by persistent jet-stream patterns will increase.

edit on 2/19/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Ok, just curious.... can you explain global warming again?

Looks to me like the trends are pointing in the opposite direction.

You sure you know enough about this topic to speaking in absolutes?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

I forget which year now maybe 2009, but I remember being in Miami in January on vacation and it dropped below freezing for one night. Since I go there some winters for a couple of weeks to recharge in the sun, I was not a happy camper until it went back up to 70 the next day.

There seems to be balance overall. When one place is colder than normal, there always seems to be another warmer than normal.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Yeah exactly my point the weather patterns totally polarize meaning that while wildlife will completely thrive in an unexpected area there will be a 2 mile thick sheet of ice in another.

In 1 part of the world they are advanced building pyramids during the younger dryas or the period of time before that and in another... bam..

Its a destabilization sometimes brought on by cataclysmic events or probably mostly brought on by cataclysmic events.

I say count your blessings because judging by the fossil records # gets real real fast and unexpectedly.

Actually if i had to put my money on it id bet that the advanced civilization exist before the first cataclysmic event starting before 15,000 years ago and that the inhabitants of these ancient relics lived in and around these monuments during the younger dryas first for survival reasons and secondly because because of their religions.

edit on 2/19/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Actually this could cause problems for air travel, but not for the reasons you think. There's a relatively new icing phenomenon that has become a little more common with the newest generation of engines.

What happens is ice crystals start to form on the inlet, and non moving parts of the engine. Eventually that ice breaks off and goes through the engine, where it gets stuck and causes a blockage, resulting in a power rollback.

Under normal conditions, as they come down into warmer air, usually by 10,000 feet, it melts and they can recover. In this case, with such cold temperatures so low, if they suffer a rollback, it could happen almost on the ground with no time to recover.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

It says that it can happen on the edge of a strong polar front but I wonder how common it is?

Ok, I know I'm kind of a weather dork, but it reminded me of a case in Spearfish SD near the blackhills in Jan 1943 where the the chinook winds on the edge of an arctic frontal boundary caused the temperature to rise 49 degrees in just 2 minutes, then drop 57 degrees only 27 minutes later.

The Black Hills area can experience spectacular temperature variations. Day-to-day changes occur as cold and warm fronts cross the northern Plains. However, temperature ranges across the area at a given time can be just as great. They happen rapidly as the wind direction changes, most notably the warming Chinook winds that have given the Black Hills the reputation as the “Banana Belt” of the Midwest. Other temperature differences are caused by inversions, when warm air flows over a shallow pool of cold air. Because the Black Hills rise above the plains like an island in a body of water, they are in the warm air layer.

In Spearfish, the temperature rose from -4 at 7:32 a.m. to 45 degrees–a rise of 49 degrees—in just two minutes. A couple of hours later, it plunged from 54 back to -4 degrees–a change of 58 degrees in 27 minutes. In downtown Rapid City, the temperature had warmed to +5 degrees by 9:20 a.m., then it quickly warmed to 54 degrees by 9:40 am—a difference of 49 degrees in 20 minutes.

Link
edit on 19-2-2015 by cleverhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Near record freeze as 4,700 square miles of ice forms on Lake Ontario in ONE NIGHT!!

More than 4,700 square miles of ice formed over the Great Lakes in just one night on Tuesday.

The Arctic blast that swept the Midwest and Northeast saw a near-record amount of Lake Ontario was iced over, with just 20 per cent of open water left.

Overall 82 percent of the five water bodies sealed up.

Temperatures are expected to drop again on Thursday night, leading forecasters to predict that figure to climb significantly by Friday morning.

Lake Erie is almost entirely iced over, with 96 percent cover.

Almost 92 percent of Lake Huron is covered, and 89 percent of Lake Superior.

Michigan remains the most ice-free with 57 percent of cover.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

No totally normal. Actually if you look at the graphs I posted a freezing world really is totally normal. It's the last 12000 years 15000 years that's been out of whack starting after the comet impact that brought us out of the younger dryas.

I'm not surprised if we enter into another glacial period in the near future and we realize the what the ancient world really looked like and we see all the cities that were built before the younger dryas, you know all the underwater pyramids and ancient monuments they have been uncovering.

Humanity will have to wake up I hope it happens sooner then later.

Think about the earth probably wobbled causing massive climate changes and as the wobble stabilizes again maybe the weather is start to go back to normal slowly is that even close to possible or is that total bs?
edit on 2/20/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If you thought the Polar Vortex was bad, wait till you get hit with the Siberian Express!

Temperatures plummeted across the Southeast on Thursday as some parts of the country experienced the coldest weather since records began.

A 'Siberian Express' was barreling up from the Southeast to the Midwest and the East Coast bringing 100 record lows across the region, according to forecasters.

Kentucky was the first to experience a record-breaking low in the early hours of Thursday when the city of Paducah felt -8F - the coldest temperature in 120 years.

Tennessee, the Carolinas and Chicago were all warned to wrap up for record lows on Thursday.

Boston, Washington, D.C., and New York were forecast to drop into the low single digits overnight into Friday.

Please, can we stop giving them cutesy names now! Ugh!

Link

Washington DC hasn't experienced below zero temperatures for February 19 since 1994. Temperatures in the capital have been hovering in the teens lately, leading the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal to freeze over.

The low temperature record for DC for February 20 was set all the way back in 1896, with -8F but that should be easily quashed.

Chicago is suffering its coldest February since 1875 and authorities were warning people about thin, black ice.

I can tell you there was a big motor vehicle accident on 1-80 here in PA today due to weather conditions. It happened on the road while it was near white out conditions. And wouldn't you know it, the road was near a hill too. Lots of semis. People were lucky no one went off the road. Reportedly one of the semis were carrying chickens, not sure if live or not.

I swear it's like they forget how to drive in this stuff or something.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

No totally normal. Actually if you look at the graphs I posted a freezing world really is totally normal. It's the last 12000 years 15000 years that's been out of whack starting after the comet impact that brought us out of the younger dryas.

I'm not surprised if we enter into another glacial period in the near future and we realize the what the ancient world really looked like and we see all the cities that were built before the younger dryas, you know all the underwater pyramids and ancient monuments they have been uncovering.

Humanity will have to wake up I hope it happens sooner then later.

Think about the earth probably wobbled causing massive climate changes and as the wobble stabilizes again maybe the weather is start to go back to normal slowly is that even close to possible or is that total bs?

I will admit I was a massive science geek in school, but it's ben about 20 years since I've had to apply anything. I will say this though, one thing I learned about science is it's can be very surprising at times, especially our planet and planets we are still learning about, so in all honesty, you never know.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

We have no idea. That would be the first honest thing the science community has ever said and it would be the truth.

The egos are so big they can't admit the truth.

The solar system is obviously some sort of engine look at how the planets spin around each other so systematically. We have no idea what the hell is going on or what we are.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

We have no idea. That would be the first honest thing the science community has ever said and it would be the truth.

The egos are so big they can't admit the truth.

The solar system is obviously some sort of engine look at how the planets spin around each other so systematically. We have no idea what the hell is going on or what we are.

So very true my friend. Unless you get a rare scientist or two who demands they have all the answers, which of course they do not. Rare, but they are out there. I will admit I did very well in 9th grade Honors Earth Science, but I truly geeked out in college with Biology. 4.0 in that class alone! I think that was my favorite class that year. I heard horror stories of the bridge freezing over and not being able to get to class. (OH, Near Cleveland river I think. Been 20 years, forgive the memory. LOL) Knowing this year though, it probably is now. LOL

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
Well, i'm no expert either, but it doesn't stop me from reading up on it.

And what i can see from the reading is an Ice age doesn't come overnight, it builds up over thousand of years and is affected by a lot of factors like the Earths wobble, the suns radiation and also co2 levels.

Unless there is something affecting Earth's climate other than those above we should be good for some thousand years still.

It's WIKI

At the same time, it is also known that greenhouse gases are increasing in concentration with each passing year. Based on the variations in solar heating and on the amount of CO
2 in the atmosphere, some calculations of future temperatures have been made. According to these estimates, the interglacial period the Earth is in now may persist for another 50,000 years if CO
2 levels increase to 750 parts per million (ppm)[citation needed] (the present atmospheric concentration of CO
2 is about 398 ppm by volume,[29] but is rising rapidly as humans continue to burn fossil fuels.) If CO
2 drops instead to 210 ppm, then the next glacial period may only be 15,000 years away.

Last Ice Age began in “just months” according to a very detailed study.

Around 12,800 years ago the northern hemisphere was hit by the Younger Dryas mini ice age, or “Big Freeze”, says this article in New Scientist. “It was triggered by the slowdown of the Gulf Stream, led to the decline of the Clovis culture in North America, and lasted around 1300 years.”

“JUST months – that’s how long it took for Europe to be engulfed by an ice age,” the study found.

Professor Patterson scraped off layers of mud just 0.5 mm thick from a lake in Western Ireland. Each layer represented three months of sediment deposition, so he could measure changes in temperature over very short periods.

He found that temperatures had plummeted, with the lake’s plants and animals rapidly dying over just a few months

His findings emerged from one of the most painstaking studies of climate changes ever attempted and reinforce the theory that the earth’s climate can switch between warm and cold incredibly quickly.

www.newscientist.com...
iceagenow.info...

iceagenow.info...

In less than 20 years.

The Younger Dryas, also referred to as the Big Freeze, was a geologically brief period of cold climatic conditions and drought that was in sharp contrast to the preceding period of warming.

The Big Freeze began approximately 12,800 years ago and ended about 11,500 years ago[1] – about 1,300 years, according to Wikipedia.

The Younger Dryas began catastrophically, with the climate in the higher latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere rapidly descending into glacial conditions.

How rapidly?

Scientists think the transition occurred over a period of a decade or so,[2] perhaps even faster.[3]

Ten years. Or even faster.

My own research shows that all – all! – ice ages in the last 250,000 years began in less than 20 years, sometimes in less than three years.

Great Lakes “likely to have the most ice since records began,” says meteorologist
iceagenow.info...

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
ooh interesting vid with graham hancock interviewing randall carson. that's like 2, 2, 2 mints in one. hehe

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

i live in cincinnati ohio have all of my life
and man oh man is it cold the paast few winters have been hell negitve 12 and so on i grew up here so i know this is not normal winters im freezing under blankets right now i think ohio is drifting north or north is drifting south

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thats why i said this.

Unless there is something affecting Earth's climate other than those above we should be good for some thousand years still.

It is well known that an extreme event can trigger a new Ice Age relatively quickly, but it has to be extrem.

The case you mention was caused by the Gulf stream slowing down, there are no signs of the gulf stream slowing down.

Oceanographer refutes claims that climate change is slowing pace of Gulf Stream

Several recent studies have generated a great deal of publicity for their claims that the warming climate is slowing the pace of the Gulf Stream. They say that the Gulf Stream is decreasing in strength as a result of rising sea levels along the East Coast. However, none of the studies include any direct measurements of the current over an extended period to prove their point.

But this is exactly what has been underway at the University of Rhode Island and Stony Brook University for the last 20 years: measurement of the strength of the Gulf Stream. And according to a paper published in Geophysical Research Letters, the researchers find no evidence that the Gulf Stream is slowing down. These new results reinforce earlier findings about the stability of Gulf Stream transport based on observations from as far back as the 1930s

So still, there are no signs of an oncoming Ice age, just some freak weather.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join