It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAT 5 Cyclone to hit Queensland, Australia in 1 hour

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

I got a text message telling me to evacuate hours ago, but that time has come and gone.

I'm very tired but I'm gonna see this through-I've become quite fond of my roof so I'm not willing to part with it just yet. But don't worry-the moment the trees start to fall I'll be sure to post some pics.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This does look bad, I'm in the u.k and have never had to face anything as scary and unpredictable as this (in these strange days the weather doesn't really surprise me anymore).
We can only hope it isn't anything like as bad as predicted after all, I just hope everyone there can take shelter and stay safe.

edit on 272015Thursday3528u19America/Chicagopm2 by solitudeandme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Wow, stay safe!

Looking forward to some pics!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Good luck to all that way, i have family close. I have never experienced anything close to what you are about to experience in the next couple hrs, the footage is scary.

Apparently on top of king tide expected there is a storm serge of 3m revised up from 2.5 m & 285km wind speed. Wishing everyone safe.
edit on 19-2-2015 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Again, be safe. There is no shame in napping in the bath tub with no water. When Fran came here, we tossed the kids in the tub with some toys and blankets so we didn't have to worry about where they were. Plus the tub is likely the strongest vessel in the house.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
That`s bad...

Here`s Twitter of it Link

And Live Radio about it Link
edit on 19 2 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
First the source and then some small quotes to keep people informed.

The Courier Mail

Another better one

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said residents in low-lying suburbs should be taking precautions, with the cyclone expected to generate a large storm surge on top of the normal high tide level and torrential rain.

He urged people to avoid being on the roads, and for parents to keep children away from floodwater. “No boogie boarding. (It’s) so easy to get sucked into a drain and off to the creek system,” he said.

Sage advise there!

Prepare for a Cat 5 media frenzy

Moreton Bay Regional Council advises the Dale Street flood gauge at Burpengary has now reached 8.2m and is continuing to rise.

That is about 25 feet.

The storm surge, which was initially predicted to be 2.6 metres above the high tide is now forecast to be 3m.

P

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

10.15am: The latest bureau warning has Tropical Cyclone Marcia moving at 21km/h with the centre of the storm just 50km north northwest of Yeppoon. The cyclone’s eye is also 145km north northwest of Gladstone and remains a Category 5 storm. Winds at the centre of the storm are 205km/h with wind gusts of 285 km/h.

10.10am: Friday night’s A-League clash between Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory in Brisbane has been postponed due to safety concerns surrounding Tropical Cyclone Marcia. The decision was made by Football Federation Australia, which acted after advice from the Queensland Government and the Queensland Police and consultation with authorities in Queensland, both teams and stadium management.

Another update.

Today will be the storm but the next few days will tell what flood waters will do as they head to the ocean and freedom.

P

edit on 19/2/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

i am already flooded in and i am some 1000ks south of Rockhampton ...the rain looks it is here to stay for a while...i will take some photos and post soon

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

10.40am: There are 10,000 houses and businesses in Yeppoon without power. Ergon Energy said it’s too early to know when the power will be back on and crews will only assess damage when it is safe to do so.

10.30am: Cyclone Marcia’s force is being unleashed on the central Queensland town of Yeppoon, where roofs are beginning to peel off. Winds of at least 200km/h are starting to do real damage in the town of 16,000, with the category five storm also unleashing gusts as strong as 285km/h.

“I’ve just seen the surf club roof fly off and the paint at the face of our building here, you can see that’s all just bubbling and flying off,” she said. “It’s just a mad storm.”

Birds caught up in the tempest and battling to get to safety could be seen being propelled backwards, despite the frantic pumping of their wings.

Lol for the birds!

P

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Latest update cyclone Marcia down graded to a 4. Moving 20km hour southward. And not to forget cyclone LAM to the north of Aust' down graded to cat 2 moving inland.

Edit:
About 33000 customers without power, numbers likely to rise during the day.
edit on 19-2-2015 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
little bit damp here on the Sunshine (lol) Coast, have minor-moderate flooding in a number of areas, heavy swells flooding shoreline areas, 8 dams full in the area as well, rain is continuing pretty much non stop.
Further North and closer to TC Marcia (cat4 now) has high winds and heavier rain, flooding, doesn't seem to be as destructive as expected, but still early days yet. (winds were expected to reach 300kmph at cat5) but likely to downgrade and ease if Marcia keeps heading inland. Waterspout warnings in place for a large coastal area.
www.abc.net.au... live-blog-tropical-cyclone-marcia-edges-closer-to-queensland/6153452

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
yes it was remiss of me not to report this one as well.

Australia is actually being hit by 2 cyclones at the same time...only difference is that LAM is hitting the top end in the never never region. Lighty populated but still many indigenous australians have been evacuated from small townships.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Marcia is hitting Rockhampton now as a cat3, made a mess of Yeppoon with winds over 200kph (120mph)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
www.abc.net.au...
heres some video
looks crazy, i love storms with alot of lightning, green skies and 70mph winds

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Quite a bit of rain falling it hasn't stopped since last night,here are a couple of pics outa my land cruiser showing my only way out....and mind you the rain isnt all that heavy yet just consistent ....

the water is maybe 1 metre above the bridge i expect it will get way worse...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join