It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Italy Puts Troops on the Street in Response to Islamic State Threat

page: 1

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM

Italy have agreed to put almost 5,000 soliders on the streets amid fears of an IS attack
The troops will guard sensitive sites and targets, including in Rome where around 500 members of the military will be deployed.

In the Italian capital the soldiers will help guard Jewish schools, the city’s synagogue and diplomatic residences.

The measures, announced after a meeting of military and security officials, will be implemented until at least June.

Authorities consider Rome particularly sensitive because it is home to the Vatican

Italy Puts Troops on the Street in Response to Islamic State Threat

I just posted something earlier today: Telos and I'm not surprised that something like this has happened. Actually I'm sure Italy will be followed by other Western countries. 500 thousand of emigrants as a psychological attack is not something to be taken lightly, even with the tolerance and open arms policy of the west. Enough is enough !!!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:52 PM
That's exactly what ISIS wants... panic.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:55 PM
Panic is part of the warfare.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:57 PM
Italians Warn IS Will Control Libya

The former Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has predicted IS will control the shores of Mediterranean “within two months.”

Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni told parliament IS will align with Islamic militias in Libya.

“There is an evident risk of an alliance being forged between local groups and Daesh and it is a situation that has to be monitored with maximum attention,” Gentiloni told MPs.

“We find ourselves facing a country with a vast territory and failed institutions and that has potentially grave consequences not only for us but for the stability and sustainability of the transition processes in neighboring African states.”

“The time at our disposal is not infinite and is in danger of running out soon.”

Gentiloni, however, made it clear Italy should not respond militarily to IS in Libya.

“Saying we are in the front line does not mean announcing adventures nor crusades,” he said.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:02 PM

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai
That's exactly what ISIS wants... panic.

And that's what Obama wants as well.

"See folks, they have boots on the ground in Italy and it's all good! So why should Americans be angry or afraid if it happens here?"

Well, they already have black hawk training exercises in some cities so why not? Might as well speed it up because it's going there anyways.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:16 PM

Sep 18, 2014

* IMF sees Italy GDP at -0.1 pct in 2014, +1.1 pct in 2015

* Says recent data weak, expects downward revisions next month

* Sees 2014 deficit-GDP at 3.0 pct, debt at 136.4 pct

* Calls for "firm implementation" of Renzi's reform agenda

IMF cuts Italy growth outlook, hikes deficit, debt

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:20 PM
Last summer ISIS released its 5 year plan. What I found interesting about it is that Italy dos not feature at all on its supposed expansionist plans. See map here

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:26 PM
Maybe it's just me, but when I think Libya invading Italy, I think Punic Wars. Maybe Italy should be setting elephant traps in the Alps.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:32 PM
I see this less about panic, and more about not wanting very old historic public landmarks to be destroyed.

I don't think the people are panicking in any way...the military is like only there to keep the old buildings/places from being blown up as IS seems to like to do.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:53 PM
Why station troops around the vatican?

It made itself a country, so should be able to defend itself.

Oh, it is a fair weather country, thought so.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:02 PM
a reply to: Telos

ISIS is no match for the Italian carabinieri and their military.

I swear, ISIS wants to take on the world.
edit on 19-2-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:18 PM
ISIS is like the barbarians, they started off small, and grew by just picking up random tribes and misfits. Soon they will possess an army, and a following, and word will get around, and those people will who have heard the word will relay messages.
The Roman empire fell because of their absolute power, and their political quarries with one another, generals and politicians bickered. All the while a brooding dragon was calling forth it's children, and then struck all at once.

We must learn from our past here. ISIS can be a threat, and a big one. But right now, it's just a problem that the entire world needs to handle.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:21 PM
So this is how they will start Marshal Law.
armed troops on the streets.
army cheak points with guns pointing at you.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:50 PM
a reply to: buddha

Italy has always had heavily armed authorities on their streets.

Say hello to the Carabinieri. They carry sub machines and lollipops. If they are on the side of the road and their lollipop is showing red and you don't stop, well....

edit on 19-2-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

new topics