It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-marijuana group to file lawsuit seeking to overturn legalization in Colorado

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The thing that pisses me off is that this ignoring the will of the populous. THEY made this decision. The SCOTUS has an opportunity here to set a precedent that State's rights have the weight here by refusing to hear this.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Gotta love the, "if it's illegal, people don't use it" argument that prohibitionists love. When will they ever learn that such arguments are fundamentally flawed?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
They may have a harder time of it, due to one factor: Colorado is running a surplus on taxes, they have collected so much in taxes, that they are having to start to do refunds and are trying to get it into law where they can keep it and use it for other purposes. Now with that kind of news going on, something tells me that there will be no end of lawyers willing to represent Colorado in all sorts of lawsuits and turn this on other lobbyist groups and at least 2 states.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
But please use that same logic on all the Anti gun folks that want to take away my rights.

Oh, I will. There might be three people on ATS who want to take your guns away, though. Your second amendment right is secure, unlike the others we're talking about here.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I did expect to see legislative changes in the way they collect the taxes. They want to give the idea of a gold rush, get a huge industry going and then pass tax legislation. They won't have the choice to swallow it because the industry will be feeding millions and millions into the coffers of the State economy.

All the hippies love the social programs anyway, so as long as they have a plan for spending the tax that way, I'm sure they could get enough support to pass it.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
The Fed has already established that they will not interfere with state's rights concerning legalization of MJ. And honestly, it it wasn't so close to election time, I'm pretty sure there would be soon a national conversation, about removing MJ from the Federal Schedule as a Class A drug.

I guess we'll see when the next justice department is sworn in.

~Tenth

A Sacramento Ca. judge is already looking into the matter. Posted Feb 11th 2015

Judge Kimberly J. Mueller said she would rule within 30 days on the request, which comes amid looser enforcement of U.S. marijuana laws, including moves to legalize its recreational use in Washington state, Colorado, Oregon and Alaska.

In their case before Mueller in U.S. District Court in Sacramento, defense lawyers have argued that U.S. law classifying pot as a Schedule One drug, which means it has no medical use and is among the most dangerous, is unconstitutional, given that 23 states have legalized the drug for medical use.

Lawyer Zenia Gilg, who represented defense attorneys for all of the men during closing arguments, pointed to Congress' recent decision to ban the Department of Justice from interfering in states' implementation of their medical marijuana laws as evidence of her contention that the drug's classification as Schedule One should be overturned.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Freedom is an exercise, not a right in this world.

How does one exercise freedom? They come together, using WILL power and collective momentum, they demand that which they want/need.

The complete opposite of being passified, controlled, intimidated etc.. there are more people in any country, then there are leaders.

STAND UP, COME TOGETHER, LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD, LET YOUR REASONING BE KNOWN.

They can't take anything away then.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Good god, let em smoke. They are going too even if it is illegal.
Just tax the sh&$ out of it like cigarettes. Gotta fund the rehab centers with something.

Rehab centers?
For marijuana?

Thats novel being as its not addictive. They are making money on a false premise.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The tax bit was a complete surprised. You see in Colorado, there it is law that when a new bill, that would bring up a tax, is proposed, they have to submit an estimate on such. If it exceeds the estimate, then they have to return the excess to the citizens of the state. That means if they submit a bill to tax say soda, and say it will collect 3 million in taxes. Any and all amount that goes over that point has to be returned to the citizens. And in this case, it is 50 million that will have to be refunded to the people of Colorado. The state lawmakers are scrambling to try to not to send back the money, as it could result in a large refund to all those in the state, where it could be used in other areas.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

These people need to stfu and gtfh.

I'm tired of these people who don't agree with something trying to take away MY RIGHT to do something that doesn't affect them.

This is why the no alcohol sales on Sunday in GA pissed me off for so long: you might not like it but YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT. ESPECIALLY politicians. Period.

I wonder if this group cares enough about other things that are far more important and affect people for more adversely than some people smoking pot. These people just need to mind their own business and grow the hell up.

I'm sick of people getting into others' business when it doesn't affect them.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

These people need to stfu and gtfh.

I'm tired of these people who don't agree with something trying to take away MY RIGHT to do something that doesn't affect them.

This is why the no alcohol sales on Sunday in GA pissed me off for so long: you might not like it but YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT. ESPECIALLY politicians. Period.

I wonder if this group cares enough about other things that are far more important and affect people for more adversely than some people smoking pot. These people just need to mind their own business and grow the hell up.

I'm sick of people getting into others' business when it doesn't affect them.

I think we should ban politicians, busy bodies and medical dictators.

The world would surely be a better place.
Its for the common good.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
How does one exercise freedom? They come together, using WILL power and collective momentum, they demand that which they want/need.

I prefer to be free from the collective desire of any large organization of people.
edit on 19-2-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If they over regulate, over tax, or over complicate the industry it will go underground. Sue us and file your lawsuits we really don't care anymore. They will help create the worlds biggest marijuana black market industry EVER. There is a large group of people with the resources, equipment, personnel, and knowledge who will simply fall off the radar if they keep flogging this dead horse.

The state and fed's haven't done a damn thing to try and make it a viable business option. In fact they make it so hard to run a legitimate dispensary that half of them are running out of compliance and they don't even know it. The inspectors don't know the new rules and regulations of the week. Same goes with the owners and operators of the dispensary's and grow's. The plant tags have RFID chips in them and those costs are eaten by the business.LINK

It's probably the most wasteful agriculture industry ever. Parts of the plant that are useful to the paper, farming, and oil industry are destroyed and thrown in the land fill. Massive amounts of resources are used in the destruction of a single plant that could have simply been uprooted and tossed in the compost. But because it contains trace amounts of THC it has to be bleached dried and finally run through a special mulcher before it can be thrown in the dump.

Even with all THAT the positives still out weigh the negatives. It has improved the quality of countless lives and even saved a few. It has the potential to shape the future not just medicinally but industrially as well. Not to mention the industry is employing roughly 20,000 people in Colorado alone.

The banking aspect has also gotten easier. But what bank and banker doesn't like big bags full of money?

ETA: Don't mean to derail the thread and pardon my rant but I'm really getting sick of hearing about people taking legal action against my state and it's laws. I can't seem to figure it out. Are they really concerned or are they simply after the $$$'s?
edit on 19-2-2015 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980
I think they just don't like the idea of their neigboors getting away with something..as stupid as it sounds, a loss of control?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It's really simple.

There are too many laws regulating people's choices. From Light bulbs, to ammo, to what we can ingest and imbibe, to who we can marry, or how many we can marry.

All because people "feel" it's inappropriate by THEIR standards.

I'm sorry about your feelings, but suck it up buttercup, the world doesn't revolve around you.

I don't tell others how to live, I wish they would stop telling ME how to live. It is my life, not theirs, for if I follow their choices, I will be them, and not myself.

There are a whole crap-tone of laws that need to be done away with. So what if I want to go whale fishing in Nebraska!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
These people really need to bore off.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AzureSky

Not that pot ever requires rehab lol

These folks are grasping at straws. Soon pot will be legal all over the country, even most of the old south. The one thing that trumps even backward views and religion in this country is cash.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join