It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bison surprises Dryden Ont. couple in their home, scares cats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Can I be your pet too?

'We were petting him and he seemed really friendly,' woman says of visit from bison

The bison escaped from a nearby ranch and wandered into the yard, Sandy Melanson said, sending the couple's cats into a frenzy.

Melanson said she opened the door of her home to take pictures and that's when the animal came for a closer look.

"Then he walked up right to the door and he just stood there," said Melanson. "We were petting him and he seemed really friendly, and we knew that he had escaped from the farm."

At one point the bison even tried to walk through the door, but backed off when she wouldn't let it in, she said.​

www.cbc.ca...

Well, it would shock me as much as it would my cat Dora, should a bison come a-knocking on my front door. Sorry, but you're a bit too big, fella.
edit on 19/2/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Aw, how very neighbourly of the bison to go on a meet and greet. Is the bison a young'un? From the ones I've seen up close at the PEI bison conservation area they are usually much bigger and taller.

(I spent my fourteenth summer in Dryden, so hi to all up there!)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Aww that's cute.

I've met a couple of Bison in my time and I found them to be quite docile creatures.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This fella has just put bison on my list of dream pets.

How cool would it be to cuddle up to one of those things on the couch

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Cuddle up to a bison? What if it rolls over on you? Pancake me...

Personally, I think I 'd prefer a Saint Bernard.

edit on 19/2/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Cool story.
I really got a kick out of the comments. People sure are easily riled, when faced with the truth about what really happens to bison on bison farms.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'll just have to start it out...

I WANT A BISON!

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Q: what did the dad buffalo say to his son as the son was leaving for college?

A: bison

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The thing about buffalo is that they aren't domesticated, so while they can seem pretty docile, when they get riled up -- look out!

This is CU's mascot. Notice how NO ONE gets in front of her (yes, her; they would NOT do this with a bull). When the reporter starts to run with them, he gets too far in front of her, and one of the handlers in the crew tackles him full body. This happens because the buffalo is trained not to have anyone or anything in front of her and between her and her trailer. If something happens to interrupt that routine, things can get ... interesting.

There was also a Dirty Jobs episode where Rowe worked on a group of Bison that were getting there shed pulled off for use as a fiber. They had the animals in a chute and they were NOT happy with the confinement. If I remember right, he got kicked. They lash out like lightning when upset.
edit on 19-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Yes. Me too. However, I prefer them a little bit at a time.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Wow, that is just too cute.

But as someone else above said, these are still wild animals. There's a federal wildlife refuge about 30 minutes from my home where we like to go hike and play. The refuge has bison, elk, long horns, deer, a prairie dog town and all kinds of critters. I have actually encountered a bison during a hike up Elk mountain. I probably passed within five feet of him, and he didn't move or really seem interested in me at all. It was really neat getting to see one so close up.

However, a few years back, a car full of Japanese tourists pulled off the road in the refuge to take photos of one, and apparently he did not feel like posing for photos, as he attacked them. If memory serves me correctly, I believe one gentleman lost his life that day. This why they tell people not to approach any of the animals there in the refuge.

As beautiful as they are, and as docile as they may seem, they are still wild animals.

I wonder if this one was more friendly after living on a farm? Maybe it's more used to people and more comfortable around us because he has been around people more?

Great story though, OP. Star and flag

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
I WANT A BISON!

We just bought 100 lbs of bison, but I don't think you meant in that form...

This story reminds me of the bobcat that showed up in our yard. It didn't scare the cats, but both of my puppies peed on the floor when I went screaming through the house. The bobcat wasn't friendly.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Bobcats are majestic creatures, but they absolutely command your respect. There have been bobcats on my folks' property since it was still my grandparents'. From time to time, you can see cubs.

But from time to time, one of the adults will growl at you too, and that is nothing to say, "D'ahhh!" to.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I looked out my window about 6 months ago and watched some cowboys on horses rounding up about 20 bison that escaped a nearby farm. I'm told they can't be tamed. If one walked up no way would I try to pet it! Thats One brave woman. I had a pet cow that thought she was a dog and tried to walk into the house after my dog.

join