It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Benefits of Smoking

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

You should read the exact study. Here it is:

www.nature.com...

Nowhere in the study is it quoted "15 cigarettes cause 1 mutation"

If you are going to quote a sound bite - could you at least source it and find out where it came from?

The best I could find was

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

The researchers found nearly 23,000 mutations in lung cancer cells, suggesting that for each packet of cigarettes, a typical smoker acquires one mutation in his or her DNA.

This is merely a news story and not a study and note that they said "suggesting", which tells me that they don't know. As for mutations to DNA - well that is called living. Its not the scientists talking so exactly who said it and why is beyond me

Sorry - but anti-smoker sound bites mean nothing to me and don't frighten me AT ALL.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Your rights end where another's begin...

Hence you cannot smoke around people who do not want to be around smoke...

Buy an electric cigarette for a rainy day...

Or hold out until the morning...

Or freeze to death...

That conscious decision is yours and has nothing to do with impeded rights!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
I am sorry but you are wrong - just plain wrong. I am a human being. I need protection from the weather regardless of what I am doing.
Interesting, interesting. So you're saying that, regardless of how foolish your own actions are, someone else should be looking out for your well-being? You're saying that, even though you have chosen to exercise a self-destructive habit in an environment that can kill you, it's someone else's responsibility to make sure you don't die? Seems like you are asking for a nanny state, there.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: blupblup
Oh come on.... FFS.
Whatever small benefit there *may* be is utterly negligible.
You are breathing hot, poisonous chemicals into your lungs.

That is not good. ever.

I'm afraid I must disagree; that inhale is absolutely delectable

Everybody dies, I choose lung cancer.

Amen to that.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

DID YOU NOT READ THE PART ABOUT SMOKING SHELTERS

Are you preverse??? Do you need to enter a smoking shelter for some reason?

Now just exactly how do they protect toll booth operators from toxic emissions of automobiles that would normally kill them within a half hour - ventilation?

Just exactly how they protect miners who would not survive exposure to toxic underground gases - ventilation?

Are you suggesting that second-hand smoke is so incredibly toxic that it is more dangerous than carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulphide, methane, sarin and ricin?

Do you have a lick of common sense in your head anywhere at all?

People are allowed to work as miners and toll-booth operators. People work with deadly pesticides used to kill insects in food warehouses. People are allowed to burn candles and wood burning stoves in hospitality venues.

But somehow - in your head - second hand smoke is SO deadly that no employee may be allowed to be exposed REGARDLESS of ventilation and smokers must freeze to death because perverse individuals like yourself demand to enter smoking shelters and private property and expect not to be exposed to second hand smoke.

You are a peach aren't you!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

DID YOU NOT READ THE PART ABOUT SMOKING SHELTERS

Are you preverse??? Do you need to enter a smoking shelter for some reason?
Do you need to smoke for some reason?

Now just exactly how do they protect toll booth operators from toxic emissions of automobiles that would normally kill them within a half hour - ventilation?

Just exactly how they protect miners who would not survive exposure to toxic underground gases - ventilation?

Are you suggesting that second-hand smoke is so incredibly toxic that it is more dangerous than carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulphide, methane, sarin and ricin?

I'm suggesting that people who take those jobs know the risk, and are willing to take those risks in order to receive a paycheck. Are you going to start handing cash to people you are smoking near?

But somehow - in your head - second hand smoke is SO deadly that no employee may be allowed to be exposed REGARDLESS of ventilation and smokers must freeze to death because perverse individuals like yourself demand to enter smoking shelters and private property and expect not to be exposed to second hand smoke.
Again, for who-knows-how-many times, none of your analogies hold up, because SMOKING IS A PASTIME. It is not necessary, it isn't a job, it isn't a byproduct of technology, it is something you do to calm your nerves that is NOT a requirement of life. Therefore, no, smoking doesn't get the same considerations the other things you listed do. You don't have to do it, and the rest of us have every right to ask you not to do it around us.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

YES!

I am certainly willing to go to a hospitality venue and pay for a meal or a drink. The money can then be used by the private hospitality venue to pay his employers to work in an area where smokers are socializing. Its called job!

YOU don't have to enter into any privately owned hospitality venue that allows smoking, now do you? And the employees are not required to work there!

And you know what? - OSHA has set standards for smoke in an enclosed setting and therefore proper ventilation can be installed to protect the employees and they don't have to work there either.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

YES!

I am certainly willing to go to a hospitality venue and pay for a meal or a drink. The money can then be used by the private hospitality venue to pay his employers to work in an area where smokers are socializing. Its called job!

YOU don't have to enter into any privately owned hospitality venue that allows smoking, now do you? And the employees are not required to work there!

And you know what? - OSHA has set standards for smoke in an enclosed setting and therefore proper ventilation can be installed to protect the employees and they don't have to work there either.

Tired of Control Freaks
Oh right! So you don't have to go into a place that doesn't allow smoking, do you? See how that works! Everyone's happy!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

And again I ask - are you perverse?

What reason do you have to want to enter a smoking shelter and why are separate outdoor smoking shelters only allowed by law to have a roof and two walls!

Tired of Control Freask

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

And again I ask - are you perverse?

What reason do you have to want to enter a smoking shelter and why are separate outdoor smoking shelters only allowed by law to have a roof and two walls!

Tired of Control Freask
I don't know about, or care about, smoking shelters, beyond possibly being annoyed if my tax dollars were paying for them.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Cotinine was also helpful in some models that predict antipsychotic behavior, called prepulse inhibition. Patients with Alzheimer's as well as psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia may have trouble controlling themselves on many different levels. "One of the things that gets people put in a nursing home very commonly is psychiatric outbursts," Terry said. "As your brain degenerates, Alzheimer's is not just a disease of cognition. Some patients hallucinate, some have delusions, as well as aggressive behavior sometimes," Terry said.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That seems to be going well.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/19/2015 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I am asking you to explain for what purpose a law was made that allowed smoking shelters to have only two walls and 1 roof?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Funny, in my country we have an series of adds on tv for nicotine patches and gum etc, in one of the ads the woman says " we all know nicotine is addictive but it's the 250 chemicals added to it that are doing the damage". so it makes me think that they are admitting tat nicotine is not so dangerous. I grow some of my own tobacco which means no nasy chemicals but I still smoke shop stuf until I can grow enough.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

?????

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

No everybody is most decidley NOT happy.,

The owners of private hospitality venues are not happy to have lost their smoking customers.

Smokers are not happy to have lost places to socialize.

The only ones who are happy are the anti-smokers, like yourself.

Why must every hospitality venue be non-smoking by law?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

edit on 19-2-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The owners of private hospitality venues are not happy to have lost their smoking customers.
So when cities started outlawing smoking inside all places of business, did smokers just stop leaving their houses? Or did they just stop smoking inside bars/restaurants/etc?
edit on 19-2-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have zero issues going outside to smoke.

Even in the coldest that Canada's winters have to offer.

They make these unbelievable products for doing it...winter clothing.

So much better than a shelter...that clothing goes with me wherever I have to go.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

a reply to: peck420

I know that you have been reading about how toxic nicotene is. The fact is that the toxicity of nicotene is based on a guess done by a couple of pharmacists more than 200 years ago.

There is updated data on that issue now...

Tired of Control Freaks

Really? Do you know you can make a very effective and deadly poison with nothing more than tobacco and water? You couldn't do that unless it was incredibly poisonous i would imagine.

Also worth noting that it's mutations on your body that cause Cancer and every 15 cigarettes you smoke will cause a mutation. Still as long as i'm not having to inhale your second hand smoke it's not a problem.

Did you know that for every sophistic anecdote you quote, you lose 1 IQ point?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
I have zero issues going outside to smoke.

Even in the coldest that Canada's winters have to offer.

They make these unbelievable products for doing it...winter clothing.

So much better than a shelter...that clothing goes with me wherever I have to go.
You mean you don't need a government-sponsored shelter project to continue to live? Personal responsibility, what a concept.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join