It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Benefits of Smoking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The only real benefits go to the tobacco companies for buying their products and to the State for paying extra taxes and dying before you can recoup.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Are you now denying the science. Please don't bother attacking me. I am a smoker and I am impervious. If you have something to say about the science, say it. but there is absolutely no reason to put up with personal attacks.

You don't know me and you don't know anything about me!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If this is a way for you to justify yourself smoking (not sure if you do) then good for you. I personally see the cons far outweighing the pros so I choose not to. Lung, throat, and mouth cancer are more than enough to deter me from smoking, but if a few minor benefits help some sleep at night, who am I to judge?
edit on 2/19/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Do you personally make it a rule not to smoke around anyone who may catch a whiff of the smoke who doesn't smoke? And encourage others to do that? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Are you aware of how painful it is to know that you are forgetting your loved one? To not know who you are and who the people around you are? To live in fear and not understand what is happening to you? To not be able to take care of your own body?

Yes, I've seen Alzheimer's destroy people I love's lives too. You aren't alone there.

I worked in old age setting. Please, if I ever develop Alziemer's be kind and blow my brains out with a bullet.

I have nothing against doctor assisted suicide and think it should be legal.

We all fear different things. I don't fear death. It comes to us all. What I fear most is losing myself before I can die.

You obviously value avoiding pain more than you value your identity. We are all different. We make different choices in our lives and we pay different prices.

I am not encouraging you to start smoking but I am trying to counter public opinion that smoking has no benefits and that smokers are just addicts who continue smoking without benefits.

Smokers at the very least get a buzz from smoking. They feel stress relief as well. There are obviously benefits. I guess you can add the one in the OP, but you are singing a tall tale if you want to pass smoking off as actually healthy.

To a smoker, smoking has benefits and people should also respect our choices.

Tired of Control Freaks

I've already told you before that I do respect your choice to smoke. I just don't want you to smoke indoors. I'm not trying to outlaw cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

a reply to: Psynic

my lousy spelling!

Tired of Control freaks

That's funny.

You're the ATS advocate for the use of nicotine and it's the only word you can't spell.

Well I'm glad I've brought it to you're attention so you can be sure to spell it correctly from now on.

HINT: The red underline when you attempt to key the letters nicotene.

Why don't you try it once just so we know it's not some other problem.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Oh yeah!

More metastudies trying to debunk actual studies....

It is more than ironic that the very same arguement that is used to 'debunk' the toxicology of nicotine, can be used to 'debunk' the metastudy.

Now, let's see if you are smart enough to catch it?

link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

So I should be like you and give my money to Big Pharma instead? How I choose to spend my money is my business. Anti-smokers like to point out the cost of smoking as an encouragement to quitting smoking. Everyone else is allowed to spend their disposable income on anything they want with criticism

How about if everyone stops taking vacations - think of the money you could save
How about if everyone stops going out to eat - think of the money you could save
How about if everyone stops going out for coffee - think of the money you could save
How about if everyone stops buying cars and takes public transport - think of the money you could save
How about if everyone stops drinking - think of the money you could save
How about if everyone stops dressing in fashionable clothes and makes do with what they have - think of the money you could save.

And on and on and on.

But at the end of the day - life isn't about saving money. Life is for living and enjoyment. I smoke - you take a vacation. I am satisfied with my choice and use of money. I presume you are as well.

Whats your point?

Tired of Control Freaks

link   

originally posted by: blupblup
Oh come on.... FFS.
Whatever small benefit there *may* be is utterly negligible.
You are breathing hot, poisonous chemicals into your lungs.

That is not good. ever.

I'm afraid I must disagree; that inhale is absolutely delectable

Everybody dies, I choose lung cancer.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

ok - the work i posted was the work of scientists - not epidimiologists. There was no metastudy - there is no debunking.

This is actual science.

So I don't know what you are talking about?

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Or, you know, you could spend your money on neither and take your health into your own hands by eating right and exercising.

Just a thought. Tired of control freaks? Why not stop letting cigarettes control you?
edit on 2/19/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Is cancer actually painful? Or is Chemo painful? I've always been curious about that, as I've long said I would never get chemo if I had cancer.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You are going to have to go a lot farther to avoid oral-pharyngeal cancers than to just not smoke.

I hate to inform you but it has been determined that, like cervical cancer, the cause of oral-pharangeal cancer is NOT smoking. Its HPV!

en.wikipedia.org...

HPV oral infection precedes the development of HPV+ OPC.[4][5] Slight injuries in the mucous membrane serve as an entry gate for HPV, which thus works into the basal layer of the epithelium.[6][7] People testing positive for HPV16 oral infection have a 14 times increased risk of developing HPV+ OPC.[6] Immunosuppression seems to be an increased risk factor for HPV+ OPC.[5] Individuals with TGF-β1 genetic variations, specially T869C, are more likely to have HPV16+ OPC.[8] TGF-β1 plays an important role in controlling the immune system. A 1993 study has found that patients with human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated anogenital cancers had a 4.3-fold increased risk of tonsillar squamous-cell carcinoma.[9] Although evidence suggests that HPV16 is the main cause of OPC between non-smokers and non-drinkers, the degree to which tobacco and/or alcohol use may contribute to increase the risk of HPV+ OPC is unclear.[5] Concomitant human herpesvirus-8 infection can potentiate the effects of HPV-16.[10]

You are going to have to avoid kissing and sex as well!

(hint - we were told that smoking was the major cause of both cervical cancer and oral-pharangeal cancers. They were WRONG! Real scientists didn't listen to hype and identified the first virus known to cause cancer in 1975. Since that time, more than 130 strains of HPV have been identified and they only know what a handful of them actually do. It is known that in the western world HPV is the cause of at least 25 % of all lung cancers and in the eastern world, it is as high as 80%_

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Tumors pressing against bones is where most of the pain from cancer comes from. So yes, cancer without chemo can be painful depending on where it's located.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: blupblup
Oh come on.... FFS.
Whatever small benefit there *may* be is utterly negligible.
You are breathing hot, poisonous chemicals into your lungs.

That is not good. ever.

I'm afraid I must disagree; that inhale is absolutely delectable

Only to the Jones-ing addict.

You probably don't remember you're first pack, but I'll bet you didn't find cigarettes "absolutely delectable"

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

So to avoid cancer, let's do something that causes it! It's better than all those other causes I guess.

Sounds like you're trying to justify yourself smoking. It's your life though, do what you want. Just know that every time you light a cigarette, you're letting that cigarette control what you do. Go a day or two without smoking and you'll see what I mean, the urge will be strong. I used to smoke so I know the feeling.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

You are going to have to go a lot farther to avoid oral-pharyngeal cancers than to just not smoke.

I hate to inform you but it has been determined that, like cervical cancer, the cause of oral-pharangeal cancer is NOT smoking. Its HPV!

en.wikipedia.org...

HPV oral infection precedes the development of HPV+ OPC.[4][5] Slight injuries in the mucous membrane serve as an entry gate for HPV, which thus works into the basal layer of the epithelium.[6][7] People testing positive for HPV16 oral infection have a 14 times increased risk of developing HPV+ OPC.[6] Immunosuppression seems to be an increased risk factor for HPV+ OPC.[5] Individuals with TGF-β1 genetic variations, specially T869C, are more likely to have HPV16+ OPC.[8] TGF-β1 plays an important role in controlling the immune system. A 1993 study has found that patients with human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated anogenital cancers had a 4.3-fold increased risk of tonsillar squamous-cell carcinoma.[9] Although evidence suggests that HPV16 is the main cause of OPC between non-smokers and non-drinkers, the degree to which tobacco and/or alcohol use may contribute to increase the risk of HPV+ OPC is unclear.[5] Concomitant human herpesvirus-8 infection can potentiate the effects of HPV-16.[10]

You are going to have to avoid kissing and sex as well!

(hint - we were told that smoking was the major cause of both cervical cancer and oral-pharangeal cancers. They were WRONG! Real scientists didn't listen to hype and identified the first virus known to cause cancer in 1975. Since that time, more than 130 strains of HPV have been identified and they only know what a handful of them actually do. It is known that in the western world HPV is the cause of at least 25 % of all lung cancers and in the eastern world, it is as high as 80%_

Tired of Control Freaks

Nicotine is a proven carcinogen.

Care to comment?

link   

Cause I would rather choose my master than have my master choose me~

BTW - to be clear, I also eat properly, I don't drink and I work out with a personal trainer 3 times per week. Once a week, I lift wieghts with my legs, another its for arms and once per week, I do nothing for core training. I follow-up each session with 30 minutes of cardio. My blood pressure is 103 / 64. I have trained in this way for years!

Don't you know that some olympic level athaletes smoke while training to increase their endurance and that nicotine is being considered as a performance enhancing drug by the committee?

You should not believe everything you hear from people with agenda's

Tired of Control Freaks

link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Google is your friend.

What causes pain in people with cancer?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

So you admit cigarettes are your master? Tired of control freaks indeed.

That was sarcasm of course.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join