It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Benefits of Smoking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here are the results of actual scientific enquiry. Its not epidimiology, with its malleable statistics, its real science

www.laboratoryequipment.com...

Nicotine's primary metabolite supports learning and memory by amplifying the action of a primary chemical messenger involved in both, researchers report. "This is the first hint of what the mechanism of the metabolite cotinine might be," said Alvin Terry, Chairman of the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology at the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents Univ. and corresponding author of the study in the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.

The new findings indicate cotinine makes brain receptors more sensitive to lower levels of the messenger acetylcholine, which are typical in Alzheimer's, and may boost effectiveness, at least for a time, of existing therapies for Alzheimer's and possibly other memory and psychiatric disorders. The neurotransmitter acetylcholine is produced by cholinergic neurons, a target in diseases such as Alzheimer's. The first sign of damage is these brain cells start pulling back the axons that connect them, then they die, Terry said. Most Alzheimer's drugs, including the widely used Aricept, or donepezil, help patients maintain higher levels of acetylcholine longer by blocking an enzyme that breaks it down. "This could be an extra boost," Terry said.

Cotinine was also helpful in some models that predict antipsychotic behavior, called prepulse inhibition. Patients with Alzheimer's as well as psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia may have trouble controlling themselves on many different levels. "One of the things that gets people put in a nursing home very commonly is psychiatric outbursts," Terry said. "As your brain degenerates, Alzheimer's is not just a disease of cognition. Some patients hallucinate, some have delusions, as well as aggressive behavior sometimes," Terry said.

This is in addition to the benefits of getting small doses of niacin (Vitamin B3), which is a by-product of the oxidation (burning) of nicotene

www.newsmax.com...

The top five health benefits of vitamin B3 are as follows: The primary health benefit of vitamin B3 is a significant decrease in heart disease. It helps lower the level of bad cholesterol. Studies have shown that a key health benefit of vitamin B3 is the elevation of good (HDL) cholesterol levels. However, sufficient quantities of the vitamin must be ingested for the required benefits. Other health benefits of vitamin B3 include a reduction in the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, cataracts, osteoarthritis, and type-1 diabetes. Scientific studies have shown that vitamin B3 assists in the energy production of cells. It is beneficial for a healthy nervous system and a well-functioning digestive system. The minimum amount of vitamin B3 required for healthy living varies with age. Children require 2-16 mg of vitamin B3, while pregnant women require 18 mg of the vitamin.

Please note: Scientists are well aware of the benefits of smoking AND the risks. They are trying like hell to develop drugs based on nicotene. Developing the drugs is NOT the issue. The issue is the method of delivery. Smoking allows niacin and cotinine to cross the blood / brain barrier within 7.5 seconds. Other methods of deliver (patch, pills, injection etc.) are not near as effective.

People drink wine freely on the grounds that "it has medical benefits". The benefits of drinking wine are not near as clearly defined or widespread as the benefits of smoking.

Tired of Control Freaks

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Oh come on.... FFS.
Whatever small benefit there *may* be is utterly negligible.
You are breathing hot, poisonous chemicals into your lungs.

That is not good. ever.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Try reading the article - there is MAY about it~

Tired of Control Freaks

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Cool. So when you are dying of lung cancer from all the smoking, you won't forget why you are dying. Good to know.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
As a smoker (medium/heavy), I would like to leave this here:

Nicotine (pure) is approx 22 times more toxic than thimerosal.

edit on 19-2-2015 by peck420 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Oh I have known his for some time. Always helps me to think better, be more creative and so forth. These results have been known to me from a similar study for at lest 20 years.
Additional benefits: Keeps the mosquito away.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

And when I am dying of lung cancer, you will be forgetting your name!

Nothing is one hundred percent "safe. Everything has risks. Even not smoking has obvious risks.

Like I said before.....I would rather die a relatively quick death by lung cancer than to linger for years drooling into my diapers.

This is now scientific proof and people should know what the benefits of smoking are!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I know that you have been reading about how toxic nicotene is. The fact is that the toxicity of nicotene is based on a guess done by a couple of pharmacists more than 200 years ago.

There is updated data on that issue now:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Nicotine is a toxic compound that should be handled with care, but the frequent warnings of potential fatalities caused by ingestion of small amounts of tobacco products or diluted nicotine-containing solutions are unjustified and need to be revised in light of overwhelming data indicating that more than 0.5 g of oral nicotine is required to kill an adult.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

There's a lot more to smoking than just nicotine.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Man has burned organic material for heat and cooking since in forever. Smoke is smoke and we all inhale it into our lungs. The by-products of burning coal, wood, manure, straw are exactly the same as burning 19 grams of a dried herb.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

And when I am dying of lung cancer, you will be forgetting your name!

Why do you say that? Alzheimer's isn't guaranteed in every person who gets old. You have a much better chance of getting lung cancer from smoking than I do from getting Alzheimer's from just being alive. I think I'll take my chances.

Nothing is one hundred percent "safe. Everything has risks. Even not smoking has obvious risks.

Uh... no... Alzheimer's risk in healthy people is a baseline. You may be able to reduce that risk by taking various substances, but that doesn't mean that not smoking has risks attached to it.

Like I said before.....I would rather die a relatively quick death by lung cancer than to linger for years drooling into my diapers.

Are you aware of how painful cancer is?

This is now scientific proof and people should know what the benefits of smoking are!

Tired of Control Freaks

I said it was cool. I didn't deny the research or anything, but it's not going to change my opinion about smoking though. I'm certainly not going to start smoking to reduce my risk of Alzheimer's while vastly increasing my risks for all sorts of other breathing related illnesses (especially with my existing bronchial problems).

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Why yes - yes there is. There is also alot more to food than nutrients. There is also alot more to air than oxygen. There is also alot more to water than water!

Actually, I was reading another paper the other day that theorized that it is the other toxins in tobacco smoke that help niacin and cotinine cross the brain/blood barrier so efficiently.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks nicotene

What is the difference between 'nicotine' and "nicotene"?

pressedvapour.files.wordpress.com...

edit on -06:0020152502015-02-19T10:50:20-06:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Smokers know the risks and they go for the benefits. They should never, however, smoke around people who don't smoke. That's poisoning someone on purpose.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

And lung cancer and respiratory issues are not guanteed for smokers either. In fact, less than 10 % of all smokers get any kind of respiratory ailment.

And never-smoking is not a guantee that you will not get lung cancer or other respiratory ailments either.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

my lousy spelling!

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And I thought I was crazy for believing in the tooth fairy!

I guess if we say to ourselves lies long enough we start to believe them.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
You post a new thread like this every week just so members will argue with you.

I think he's beyond saving everyone. Deny ignorance. More like, ignore and deny real scientific research. I think all these threads should be made into one. It's just the same thing over and over.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Given your threads on this topic, I think it's reasonable to say you're in serious denial.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Are you aware of how painful it is to know that you are forgetting your loved one? To not know who you are and who the people around you are? To live in fear and not understand what is happening to you? To not be able to take care of your own body?

I worked in old age setting. Please, if I ever develop Alziemer's be kind and blow my brains out with a bullet.

We all fear different things. I don't fear death. It comes to us all. What I fear most is losing myself before I can die.

You obviously value avoiding pain more than you value your identity. We are all different. We make different choices in our lives and we pay different prices.

I am not encouraging you to start smoking but I am trying to counter public opinion that smoking has no benefits and that smokers are just addicts who continue smoking without benefits.

To a smoker, smoking has benefits and people should also respect our choices.

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join