It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how credible are THESE gospels???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
www.gospels.net...

i have read the gospels of james, thomas and mary and these tell a very telling tale...

they tell of the years of jesus as a baby and marry as a baby...

how credible are these???

and why aren't they "official"???

thanks...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Because they aren't thought to be real, they are thought to be frauds, created well after the synod that cannonized the texts that were circulating in the early christian community.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The apocrypha were created centuries after the ressurection of the Lord and it is not synoptic with the other gospels besides John. While the synoptic gospels were written years after.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
You most likely got the idea to look at them from me... and I'll say the reason is because its a different view other then the one the church wants... I find it to be more credible than any other text, it fully relates to what Jesus wanted, which was us to learn about ourselves.... If you want to know more drop me a U2U

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
here is an intersting page on the nicean council that 'cannonized' the bible

www.tertullian.org...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
There are loads of aprocryphal texts and pseudoepigraphica (I think that's seplled right) floating around the place, each with various reasons for it's non inclusion. Some seem to be excluded wholly legitimately, although a significant amount do appear to have been left out for more suspect reasons, with many fingers pointing to the idea of exclusion of what the church doesn't like the look of, with legitimacy irrelevant. Allegedly.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Why must you people dissect the pages of our holy scripture at every chance and turn you get? Cant you just have FAITH? If God wanted us to know every secret and detail of His supreme creation, He would have told us. People who must take apart Gods will and try to put it back together to see how it works are no different than His Holiness Pope John Paul (God bless that man) In Gods eyes. FAITH! Is it really so hard to accept? But who am I but a man, to see myself fit to pass judgement upon the masses of the ignorant?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It sounds like your more than qualified in the ignorance stakes...

Most of the apocryphical gospels come from the Nag Hammadi Library and actually predate the existing Gospels of Mathew, Luke and Mark...

It wasn't until 1547 at the council of Trento that they settled for the four they have at present...

As for faith, how little faith must one have, to not want to find out about Jesus from the earliest most reliable sources, I have faith in Jesus and will never, ever stop my inquiry, leaving no stone unturned, to put back together what was taken apart...

You can have your faith in your church, your pope and your King James translation of the Bible, I'll place my faith in Christ.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Very credible. They were left out of the bible by man, But they are every bit as crediable as any other books are as far the bible.

why aren't they "official"???

They didn't "fit" what those putting the bible together wanted it to portray

gbgm-umc.org...

[edit on 12/17/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Here is an interesting list of many of the books that were chosen to be left out by the church (Catholic Church that is).

www.earlychristianwritings.com

Its interesting to look at all of the information that we weren't given.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flange Gasket
It sounds like your more than qualified in the ignorance stakes...

Most of the apocryphical gospels come from the Nag Hammadi Library and actually predate the existing Gospels of Mathew, Luke and Mark...

It wasn't until 1547 at the council of Trento that they settled for the four they have at present...

As for faith, how little faith must one have, to not want to find out about Jesus from the earliest most reliable sources, I have faith in Jesus and will never, ever stop my inquiry, leaving no stone unturned, to put back together what was taken apart...

You can have your faith in your church, your pope and your King James translation of the Bible, I'll place my faith in Christ.

who is "more than qualified in the ignorance stakes"???

me???

i am just asking a question...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnero6911
You most likely got the idea to look at them from me... and I'll say the reason is because its a different view other then the one the church wants... I find it to be more credible than any other text, it fully relates to what Jesus wanted, which was us to learn about ourselves.... If you want to know more drop me a U2U

lets talk about it here so if any other person is not shure about the subject. he or she can learn it from here...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Very credible. They were left out of the bible by man, But they are every bit as crediable as any other books are as far the bible.

They didn't "fit" what those putting the bible together wanted it to portray

gbgm-umc.org...

[edit on 12/17/2004 by LadyV]

thanks...

very good info...

i also thought this was the reason...

and i thought the bible coundn't get any longer

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
ehhh, if its not for the Bible, I dont think anyone, or any documents really have been recorded about the past, like before the flood and the lives of individuals taken from no where but the Bible, cause these dudes only existed from the Bible text, where else?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
These gospels are very credible.

Many religious historians feel that the gospel of Mary is the very closest to what Jesus' actual teachings of non-violence etc. were.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slicky1313
ehhh, if its not for the Bible, I dont think anyone, or any documents really have been recorded about the past, like before the flood and the lives of individuals taken from no where but the Bible, cause these dudes only existed from the Bible text, where else?

You are so wrong on all of that!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teufelhunden
Why must you people dissect the pages of our holy scripture at every chance and turn you get? Cant you just have FAITH? If God wanted us to know every secret and detail of His supreme creation, He would have told us. People who must take apart Gods will and try to put it back together to see how it works are no different than His Holiness Pope John Paul (God bless that man) In Gods eyes. FAITH! Is it really so hard to accept? But who am I but a man, to see myself fit to pass judgement upon the masses of the ignorant?

No no, Faith isn't hard to accept at all.

What is hard to accept is the idea that God essentially enjoy's confusing us. He grants us with this brain to accept fact, logic, education and understanding, then asks us to defy all we've learned and know to follow a certain sect of religion which we personally choose as being correct out of Faith.

Well, God, if you exist, I'm using my God given ability to see that you're definetly NOT all powerful, absolutely NOT all loving, and I'd like to extend a big middle finger for confusing us and sending us to our deaths in the name of religion for the past two thousand and odd years.

That's all.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

and why aren't they "official"???

They are not credible b/c of what you said they are not credible they are not of gods insiration. They are teling the story of Mary's brith instead of the brith of Jesus.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Perhaps if those putting together the scriptures hadn't constantly rearranged, ommitted, and included, renamed, etc. passages that suited their agendas, we wouldn't dissect so much?

Are you aware that the current "accepted" form of the bible was made so, to allow a King to be able to get divorced? (i.e. King James version).

Should we not question a religion that tries to coverup for the crimes of it's clergy such as the molestations of young church members? Or perhaps for it's long history of persecuting those not of their faith? Would any God approve of such actions in his name?

Interesting that you would call those not of your faith ignorant, while telling them not to think for themselves, but to simply blindly follow the church. Remember, originally, Adam and Eve were forbidden by God to not eat of the Tree of Knowledge. The early authors of the Bible wanted the masses to be ignorant of all but the church's teachings.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I wasn't refering to you "They see all" I was refering to Teufelhunden...

Not of Gods insiration?, brith?...

What the....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join