It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographer captures something she can't explain in skies over Greenville County

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
a reply to: elevenaugust

Right, got it. Thanks for that.
Still a little doubtful though. If I'm understanding correctly, the woman thought she was taking photos of the moon and sun close together. This would mean that she saw the artifact before grabbing the camera, and lens flare would only be visible through the camera lens.

I will highlight the difference.

a Taylors shutterbug thought she had snapped a few shots of sun and moon close together in the twilight sky Sunday.

She never says she saw it in the sky, she only mention it as being in the pictures after they were taken, or possibly when she looks at the screen during zoom, no mention if phone or camera.
edit on 19-2-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Wouldn't lens flare be in front of the branch?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

It's transparent, so no way to judge.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
wrong video...

If it lens flare or Sun dogs it happening all over the Country.
edit on 19-2-2015 by whyamIhere because: Wrong vid

The reason this snapped my head is I have seen this object before.

I saw it June 21, 2006 in Redding California at 9:05 in the evening.

I will never forget it. I saw it very very close.
edit on 19-2-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

also, re-reading the lady's statement i noticed she said "when I zoomed in on my pictured" which may mean the 'dots' effect was not in fact apparent to the naked eye?

just thinking aloud, as it were.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Hey you stole my avatar, can I have it back please

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

also, re-reading the lady's statement i noticed she said "when I zoomed in on my pictured" which may mean the 'dots' effect was not in fact apparent to the naked eye?

just thinking aloud, as it were.

That's how I understood it as well. She knew what she was photographing, but it was the dots that she saw when she zoomed in that surprised her.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Agreed.

The lens flare explanation does not explain the dots!

Don't ignore the dots.

They are obviously very non-random and cannot be separated from the whole image.

They do not fit in with the lens flare criteria. Period.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
If its not lens flare it could possibly be the sun in its true position ( the sun we see is not the true location of the sun because the earth's atmosphere refracts the light). Not saying this is true but possible suggestion.

With regards to the dots, looks like grids on a camera or pixel blacks as mentioned in an earlier post

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ChristianJihad

ha ha we'll just have to co-exist as dual Henry Spencers

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

True, she is talking about the bright spots in the "orb" it appears, though still doesn't change the fact that she didn't notice until she had taken the pictures and that it shows a clear resemblance to a lens flare.

If i should come with a guess to the dots in the "orb", i would say it's reflections of reflections created in the lens, either of the lens flare itself or something within the camera lens.

A picture artifact created by the lens, which is only visible in the lens flare.

Though that is only a guess, as i have have nothing to compare with.

I did search around for different lens flares to see if there was anything to compare with, without luck.

Best i could find.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I'll be the lady in the radiator, if nobody minds.

As to the thread, these pics certainly have the characteristics of lens flair... but... (and that's a big but) IF folks saw it with nothing but their own eyes... which DO have lenses, btw, but...

but she said she saw it with real, living eyes... thinking the sun and moon were close together... the bright spots on it weren't obvious but ...as a separate object in the sky, she is reporting that it was just that... and not that she snapped a pic and then saw it... the anomaly was the reason for the pics in the first place...

unless she's lying, or mistaken (and the other poster who said they saw it is, too) and it's just lens flair and she added to the story after the fact.

But it IS odd that the object is framed right where lens flair would occur... especially if it's NOT lens flair!?

edit on 2/19/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/19/2015 by Baddogma because: editted, became even more garbled... edited again

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

a reply to: elevenaugust

Right, got it. Thanks for that.
Still a little doubtful though. If I'm understanding correctly, the woman thought she was taking photos of the moon and sun close together. This would mean that she saw the artifact before grabbing the camera, and lens flare would only be visible through the camera lens.

This is what she has said,

'snapped a few shots of sun and moon close together in the twilight sky Sunday.

When Stephanie Davenport looked closer, she said something caught her eye.'

“I originally thought it was the moon, but when I zoomed in on my pictured it clearly wasn't. It is round and looked to have lights on it,” Davenport wrote in a Facebook message to FOX Carolina.

She said she snapped the first few photos on Center Drive in Taylors and then snapped a few more on Highway 290.

Every time she zoomed in, the strange bright spots appeared in the image.

Davenport said she consulted someone who might have the answer: a family member "

I would take it also that she was taking the advantage to capture Sun and Moon together, you see something, you take a picture. Then of course there are the other pictures of the same thing, and what are the chances of repeating the process that caused the same lens flare effect every time?
Someone said that the white dots have no import, I say just the opposite until I find a mundane shot elsewhere just the same, because without the white dots the effect is easily put down to lens flare, albeit a singular flare in each case here, (there are most often several lens affects in these kind of shots with differing strengths/colours) but not necessarily.
The pictures don't seem to have a deep contrast either, where you might get white noise in the picture.

edit on 19-2-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There are other reports from people seeing the same object.

Wonder if they're all using the same camera.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye she didn't notice until she had taken the pictures

yes that's what i inferred from those words.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

You got some links ?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

originally posted by: Annee

You got some links ?

Crap!

Was searching and reading. Did follow some links, didn't save them.

No time now. Have to go.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Wouldn't lens flare be in front of the branch?

You need to watch this video. People who don't understand photography shouldn't make any assumptions about what should appear in front of what as this demonstration shows.

NASA STS-75 "Tether UFO" Video - Explained And Replicated

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My theory on the lights on the lens flare are just dust particles inside the camera or on the camera lens. But thats my take on it.
edit on 19/2/15 by EnigmaAgent because: speling

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
if the full-size shots are available anywhere a better analysis will be possible. i'm looking.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join