It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time for the Kurds to have their own country ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Kurdistan could become a reality, but Turkey is standing in the way.
Personally I think the Iraq government should be given an ultimatum, take back your land from ISIS within six month or we are going to arm the Kurds to the max, and what they liberate in your county they get to keep as the new Kurdistan.
They could expand that a little into Syria since it's chaos over there anyways.

I think their time has come, they seem to have a better culture than the rest of the people of over their anyways.

edit on 19-2-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
They have a region. And the oil reserves there in Iraq since the war because USA wanted a share. If you think Kurdish's need a country, hope you think Crimea should have been annexed since they voted. And vote was ok with everyone before they voted. They just didn't like the result so they cried. Just like with Hamas in Palestine. Or Bush in Florida.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
LOL Iraq would not arm the Kurd s to the max. They are a small part of Iraq and are Annexed like Crimea. So the country wont represent them as an army when they are a minority. That would be like Ukraine arming Crimea.a reply to: Blue_Jay33

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I agree 100%,..

The Peshmerga are very brave soldiers and the difference against IS in their land...as forward observers for US planes just like Iraq War plan.
Kobani and Mosul are re-claimed.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I certainly believe that Kurdish folk should have a place to call their own. Hell, everyone who needs a place of their own ought to damned well have one if they want one, but the difficulties in making that happen are many fold, and an awful lot of that comes down to the history of nation building in the last century.

As I am sure you are aware Blue_Jay33, the Middle East was shaken up and moved around in order to allow Israel to be formed, after the Second World War. The key players in developing this solution, either knew exactly how much of a cluster copulation they were about to embark on, or were unpleasantly surprised by how things turned out later on. Whether they were genuinely unaware of the inevitable result of telling a group of people "this land here, it's no longer yours, it's theirs, and you are going to like it too, otherwise there will be trouble", or whether they knew and just did not care a God damn, are questions that I ask myself all the time, but finding out is rather tricky, since the architects of that particular mess, are all dead as far as I know.

But make no mistake, giving the Kurds land to call their very own, to fly a flag over, a border to patrol, will by necessity mean that someone's land will change hands, and despite the fact that this is not the 1900s, this will still mean that someone loses land, in order that the Kurds can have some. This will inevitably cause tensions, and that is putting it mildly. Then you come down to questions like:

Where the hell do we put this new nation?

How big should it be?

Should an infrastructural budget be part of the package?

Now, my feeling on this, is that the Kurds ought to be the ones to chose their nations position on the map, because damn if we shouldn't all be able to live wherever the hell we want, all of us humans. With regard to size, we are talking about a nation which would have to provide space and living for thirty million people. That's right, thirty million. So this nation, it would have to be a damned sight bigger than say Luxembourg for example, which only had 543,202 residents as of 2013.

Given the volatility of the region in general, this nation would have to come about after some SERIOUS house clearing on the part of neighbouring nations, the total obliteration of the IS movement being high on the to do list. The reason I say that, is because even established nations are having trouble keeping the scum from their doors, so a new nation will require some sort of viable peace, in which to establish its borders, military response potential, its industry, and its law and order systems, before they are expected to handle whatever comes their way in the manner we have come to expect from other nations.

That said, the Kurds have been punching above their weight against IS and in general, probably because they are used to being left to their own devices when the crap hits the fan, unless they are being gassed by tinpot dictators of course.

So in summary, yes, the Kurds, and all the free peoples of the Earth ought to have a place to call their own, and live free of dictatorial influence of either governments which do not represent them, or religious factions which seek to dismember them. However, there are significant problems with actually making it happen, and those problems are becoming greater, not smaller, as time goes on. I would love to see a time where the Kurds have a place of their own though. Of all the stateless peoples walking the world these days, I can think of few who have endured hardship with as much dignity and fortitude as the Kurds.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Kurds didn't say they want their own country, as I remember. They just want to coexist.

But I don't know too much about them, just like them, specially their courageous women.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Let's be realistic the land will never come out of Iran or Turkey, what the Kurds would get would be a section of Northern Iraq and a tiny piece of Syria. It would be much smaller than what they would really want but beggars can't be choosers.

Kurdistan

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
Kurdistan could become a reality, but Turkey is standing in the way.
Personally I think the Iraq government should be given an ultimatum, take back your land from ISIS within six month or we are going to arm the Kurds to the max, and what they liberate in your county they get to keep as the new Kurdistan.
They could expand that a little into Syria since it's chaos over there anyways.

I think their time has come, they seem to have a better culture than the rest of the people of over their anyways.

While i definitely agree that the Kurds deserve their own country, i don't think it would be a good idea to give Iraq an ultimatum in regards to Kurdistan and the war against IS. It'll probably escalate into an eventual war for land, between Kurdistan and Iraq. Iraq is already angered by the Kurdish seizing of Kirkuk. I imagine they wouldn't be too happy to lose any further land which could one day be considered Kurdistan.

Syria would also pose problems, as some of Syrian Kurdistan is disputed between IS, the Syrian Government and the Kurds. One city has been under dispute between the government and the YPG for some time now. Still, if Syria were to fall, it would be a good time for the Kurds to declare independence in their cantons there. Iraqi Kurdistan could then one day secede from Iraq and merge with Syrian Kurdistan, forming a sovereign state.
edit on 19-2-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Does anyone for one second think that the Kurds will be spared if they lose to ISIS?

I don't. And I don't see anyone stepping up to the plate to defend them or help them out much either. Prior to this, no one wanted the Kurds anywhere near them.

If the Kurds withstand the onslaught and keep the lands they hold or even expand them, I say they earned them.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It's way overdue for Kurds to have their own country. The majority of them live in Turkey.

Kurds are their own people (a population of 40 million), with their own languages, traditions, and history. I really think it's unfortunate that they don't have land the call their own.

edit on 19-2-2015 by shieldmaiden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Interesting map of the current situation there

MAP

A 2010 US report, written before the instability in Syria and Iraq that exists as of 2014, attested that "Kurdistan may exist by 2030".The weakening of the Iraqi state following the 2014 Northern Iraq offensive by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant has also presented an opportunity for independence, augmented by Turkey's move towards acceptance of such a state.
Turkey has historically feared that a Kurdish state in Northern Iraq would encourage and support Kurdish separatists in the adjacent Turkish provinces, and have therefore historically strongly opposed Kurdish independence in Iraq. However, following the chaos in Iraq after the US invasion, Turkey has increasingly worked with the de facto autonomous Kurds in Iraq.

I still think both he Syrian and Iraq governments should be given the chance to liberate their countries from ISIS.
But really if they lack the fortitude as nations and armies to do it, dangle that carrot for the Kurds to liberate areas in both Syria and Iraq from ISIS, and get a country out of it, that will really motivate them.
To the victors go the spoils like every other war in history.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That said, the Kurds have been punching above their weight against IS and in general, probably because they are used to being left to their own devices when the crap hits the fan, unless they are being gassed by tinpot dictators of course.

Nicely written reply.

The kurds have been holding their own and taking names.

new topics

top topics

join