It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flintlock from 1700s could land elderly NJ man in prison

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: Bedlam

Oh...yes...I forgot. What about the children!!!

/sarc

So, you're FOR MURDERING CHILDREN.

What a sicko!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Little gutter rats...all of 'em....
HEY!!!
GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!
NO?!?! OK, wait there while I load this flintlock pistol.....hold on...give me a minute...don't leave yet...
OK, WHERE'DYA GO???!!!
/sarc

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Oh...uh...hey my bad man. I borrowed your flint to light a smoke. Um...here...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Little gutter rats...all of 'em....
HEY!!!
GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!
NO?!?! OK, wait there while I load this flintlock pistol.....hold on...give me a minute...don't leave yet...
OK, WHERE'DYA GO???!!!
/sarc

I notice the British didn't have a lot of issues shooting American children with them.

What British Shooting Children Might Look Like:

Are you a shill for big flintlock?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

“One of the undersheriffs said, ‘Well, let him go, it’s 250 years old,’" Van Gilder said. "But his boss, who is the sheriff, said, ‘No, we have to arrest him.’ Next morning, I am sleeping and hear pounding on the door, and four of them came and took me away with three or four sheriff’s cars -- I guess they didn’t have anything better to do with taxpayer money.”

Fire that Sheriff for pure stupidity, we don't need idiotic LEO's that can't think logically.

Ludicrous insanity !

Is this not a clear violation of the 2nd amendment, because I am pretty sure it was talking about guns just like this ?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

What no one is talking about is that New Jersey has what?

A Republican governor!

Guess most of us are intelligent enough to figure that one out?

The top New Jersey Democrats responsible for the Gun Bans, Loretta Weinberg and Steve SweeneyNRA-ILANRA – ILA
Charlotte, NC --(Ammoland.com)- Yesterday, the New Jersey Senate approved a pair of damaging gun control bills.

Senate Bill 993, sponsored by state Senator Loretta Weinberg (D-37) would further restrict New Jersey’s magazine capacity restriction from 15 to 10 rounds, passed on a party line 21 to 17 vote.

New Jersey has had strict gun control laws for awhile. The Dems are pushing for more control. Really, both parties in and around most states made major pushes for gun control after the Sandy Hook shooting.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
it could have had a homicide on it from 170 years ago they might actually be able to solve a very old cold case just kidding like poster said its a smooth bore weapon no rifling

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Chris Christie for President!!!

Seriously...this is stupidville...I read some state rep is looking to pass a law to straighten this out. NJ cops must really suck. They let him go and then sent 4 cops to his house the next day to arrest him? Some chief back at the station decided they were having a slow week or something? Hey...go back and arrest this guy!

edit on 20-2-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I feel bad for the guy. Had a similar situation myself transporting one of these bad boys across a state line.

The only reason NJ let me off the hook was luckily, it was a single shot version instead of an automatic.

edit on 20-2-2015 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

American history is filled with cases of bad laws being challenged. At one time, a little law known as the "Stamp Act" was considered a bad law. It was protested by the original Sons of Liberty (not the travesty shown on History Channel now). Bad laws, in this country, are meant to be challenged and disobeyed. If that means going to jail to uncover the injustice, then that is the payment one must pay. Only a total sheep blindly follows a law that is (or should be due to common sense) unjust or just plain stupid.

And in the meantime, if this 72-yr old retiree does get jail time he will also lose his retirement pension payments. I'm all for uncovering and challenging unjust laws (subjective) but this man will then have to fight another battle to reinstate his pension.

This broadly penned law benefits the state government a great deal - not only do they get to arrest people over antiques (corporate prison fodder) but they get to take money out of the hands of the peasants.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

well that is NJ for you. The east coast southern California....

I swear they are idiots on purpose. Willful idiots.

California is messed up, but I own a HK 45 USP and I live in SoCal.

What's stupid is that I have to deal with the 10 round magazine bull#.

And I also have to deal with the fact that HK45 is never going to get in our state. The only way I can purchase one is properly through private transfer of ownership from someone that bought it out of state.

But omg.. there's no way the old guy is going to jail. Can't we petition it or something? Let's be more active to stop this kind of bull#.

edit on 2/20/2015 by truthseeker84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I know I'm late to the party, sorry. I just came across this article I thought might interest everyone. Apparently there's a "Rest of the Story."

Teacher's was pulled over for acting suspiciously, car had used heroin bags, and was in an area for known drug activity

A 72-year-old who was arrested for possessing an antique gun was pulled over during a drugs search in a car littered with used heroin bags, police have claimed.

Gordon Van Gilder was stopped in Cumberland County, New Jersey, last November with a mid-1700s flintock pistol in the glove compartment.

The former teacher was arrested and is now facing 10 years of prison, despite claiming the case is a waste of taxpayers' money.

But revelations from the sheriff's department have revealed Van Gilder was 'acting suspiciously' in an area of high drug activity.

According to the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department Van Gilder was in the passenger alongside Adam Puttergill, 21, and allegedly admitted he was in the area to buy drugs.

Officers found drugs on him and charged him with possession of a dangerous substance.

Officers also found empty heroin bags on the floor. But Van Gilder wasn't slapped with drug charges - only possession of an unlawful weapon.

Cumberland County Sheriff Robert Austino told NJ.com: 'This is not just a case of the police picking on an elderly gun collector.'

Cumberland County Sheriff Robert Austino told Daily Mail Online: 'My answer is that one must ask what a person is doing with any type of gun in a glove box, in a known drug area and admittedly there for the sole purpose of buying drugs.'

He continued, 'In fact used heroin packets were found in his vehicle along with drugs on the driver (who was arrested). In addition, state law clearly covers antique firearms and he was in violation. If people disagree, then they should act to change the law.'

Gordon was a passenger in his own vehicle and admitted to cops they were in the area to buy drugs

The sheriff said Gordon Van Gilder was a passenger in his vehicle, which was pulled over on Nov. 19, on 2nd Street. Van Gilder allegedly admitted that the reason they were in the area was to purchase drugs, according to Austino.

"This is not just a case of the police picking on an elderly gun collector," he said.

A search allegedly found used heroin bags in the vehicle, according to the sheriff. The driver of the vehicle -- identified as Adam Puttergill, 21, of Maurice River Township -- was allegedly found in possession of drugs and was charged with possession of a controlled dangerous substance, according to Austino.

However, Van Gilder was not charged with any drug offenses, just unlawful possession of a weapon, the sheriff said. The case is still in the complaint stage and no court dates are scheduled, according to the Cumberland County Criminal Case Management Office.

Debate over Van Gilder's arrest has led several state lawmakers to suggest changes to New Jersey's laws regarding antique firearms. Assmemblywoman Caroline Casagrande (R-Monmouth) said Thursday that she intends to introduce a bill that would align the state's law with a federal statute that exempts firearms manufactured before 1898.

State Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland) has called for a bill that would allow a person convicted of unlawful possession admittance to pretrial intervention of supervisory treatment if they had no known association with a criminal street gang and no criminal convictions.

If this is true, huge if, we can all agree he would have made it home that night with no issue and we would not be discussing this case at all, had he not let someone drive his car to go buy some heroin. I think that was a very bad move on his part, even worse to take the gun with him, or to do both trips at once. Whichever it was he had decided to do. I really do feel for the guy and hope he does not get prison at all, especially not for the gun, however, if he DID go with someone and loan his car out to buy drugs, I do think he should get community service, possibly teaching an English class or something and hope he has learned his lesson from this.
edit on 2/21/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Wow! Thank you! So he is hiding behind the gun charge. Possibly facing drug charges he just went to the NRA with his story and set up a defense fund which is already up $20,000+.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

Wow! Thank you! So he is hiding behind the gun charge. Possibly facing drug charges he just went to the NRA with his story and set up a defense fund which is already up $20,000+.

You're welcome. It showed up in my feed and I'd been trying to keep up in here but my other threads as well. When I saw this, I knew I should share, as it seemed relevant.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
That's a pretty convenient set of charges the police are just now charging him with, don't ya think? Especially after the public outcry over the over-the-top gun charge. Well, we'll charge him with drug counts then....yeah, quite convenient. Never would a police officer (or department) lie to cover their own lack of intelligence....would they?

< rolls eyes back into head >

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

That's a pretty convenient set of charges the police are just now charging him with, don't ya think? Especially after the public outcry over the over-the-top gun charge. Well, we'll charge him with drug counts then....yeah, quite convenient. Never would a police officer (or department) lie to cover their own lack of intelligence....would they?

< rolls eyes back into head >

According to a couple of articles I've read, the police stated there was more to the story than just the gun. Do you think, in the realm of possibility, that THIS was the "more to the story" to which they were referring? Sometimes cops don't release every single detail. (And if you see all my posts, you will see I post quite a bit of anti police threads, so no, I'm not supporting the police, I'm supporting the truth, whatever it may be.)
edit on 2/21/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
So while the country is laughing at the stupidity of this sheriff department, it takes them a couple of days to decide on drug charges?

I'm extremely tired atm but that seems odd...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

What no one is talking about is that New Jersey has what?

A Republican governor!

Guess most of us are intelligent enough to figure that one out?

Well maybe Governor Chris Christie is doing what the head of the executive branch should do unlike a certain Commander in Chief, and enforce laws, instead of trying to make them up on his own.

It is not Chris Christie's job to create firearm legislation, only to enforce it. I cannot believe you are trying to pin this on him.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Wrong.

Read something not biased and full of BS lies from the sheriff: www.thedailyjournal.com...

There weren't used heroin packets "littered" all over the car. There was one box of NEW wax packets behind the seat. Apparently similar to some packaging heroin is sold in. If there were USED heroin packets he would have been cgarged as people routinely are for such items.

I guess you could come over my house right now and call me a drug dealer because I ship racecar nuts and bolts in small plastic "weed bags".

Furthermore the "known drug area" was the old man's home town and he ate lunch there before getting back on the road. I used to have a nice house 3blocks from a heavy prostitution area, so I guess every time I waited at the stop sign at the end of the street I was just looking for a hooker right ?????

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

Wrong.

Read something not biased and full of BS lies from the sheriff: www.thedailyjournal.com...

There weren't used heroin packets "littered" all over the car. There was one box of NEW wax packets behind the seat. Apparently similar to some packaging heroin is sold in. If there were USED heroin packets he would have been cgarged as people routinely are for such items.

I guess you could come over my house right now and call me a drug dealer because I ship racecar nuts and bolts in small plastic "weed bags".

Furthermore the "known drug area" was the old man's home town and he ate lunch there before getting back on the road. I used to have a nice house 3blocks from a heavy prostitution area, so I guess every time I waited at the stop sign at the end of the street I was just looking for a hooker right ?????

If all this is true, then the sheriff thought he was going to gt a good bust and it's going to blow up in his face. The cop was willing to let this slide, but it was his higher ups who said the gun had to be confiscated and the teacher was arrested the next day. As I said, I'm on the side of truth. I have a lot of medication I have to take. If I were take all my pill bottles with me, I would need a separate purse! The pharmacy sells small medicine baggies to put your pills in for traveling. I've done this many times where I'll take a weekend worth of medications, and put Morning in one bag, afternoon in another, and evening in another and set up 3 days worth of meds. I can only imagine what cops would do if I were pulled over! If this is so illegal, then pharmacies should not be able to sell "travel bottles" or the baggies. That, or cops need to lighten up on this particular issue.

This kid should not have had to take the fall for his grandfather just to prevent him from being hit with a drug charge as well. Insane!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join