It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Canidate From the people and for the people is running for president.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante
a reply to: 8fl0z

This right here is exactly the problem. When I was young, I was proud to vote. Then I realized that here in Oklahoma, it doesn't matter how I vote. Our state will always vote red, regardless of my opinion, or really the opinion of the entire populace of our state.

I fully understand why we did the electoral college back in the day... But with the technology we have now, there is simply no need to let these asshats vote on our behalf. We need to change things and have a popular vote where every vote actually matters.

As it stands right now, even if the majority of voters in my state vote democrat, our "representatives" (and I use that term very loosely), are still going to vote republican...and I don't think that's right.

I think the only way we will ever see a third party or independent candidate (such as the gentleman in the OP) actually win the presidency is if every vote cast by every individual is truly counted so as to be the actual determining factor in who wins the election.

As an aside, I would vote for this guy. It's high time we had a president who actually lives in the same world as the majority of our population rather than some rich guy who was born with a silver spoon lodged in his throat and a big fat trust fund sitting in the bank. We need someone who truly understands what life is like for the average American.

Star and Flag, OP.

I may be ignorant as sin here, but I thought the electoral college has to vote with whoever more people in their district voted for... I don't know if it's really just completely up to them to decide. I hope not, but then again, when you choose between a rock and a turd you're #ed either way.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

The electoral college is supposed to cast their vote according to the will of their constituents. However, there is no way to hold them to that; there is no law or any sort of repercussion to fall back on if they vote the opposite way of the will of their constituents. Instead, they take money from corporations and then return the favor by voting in the corporations' best interests and to their corporate masters' liking.

Sad really. I think there should be a law forcing them to do the will of the people. But of course, I don't really see too many of our elected officials paying any attention to what the people of this country actually want.

If they were suddenly held accountable by law to do what we want, this whole country would have to change in so many ways...

Really, the only thing that can be done is to vote them out of office, but we all know that bottom line, money controls elections. Until we force all of the money, special interests and lobbying out of politics, the status quo shall prevail.

<< 1   >>

join