It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Maritimers, Mainers. Question about supply shortages.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I live in rural Nova Scotia, and lately I've been noticing that grocery stores,etc. seem less "full", especially produce and meat sections. Last week, my SO and I were in a bind because the province, and Maine as well, had run out of wood pellets that run our stove. We were able to pick some up from a friend who bought a truckload at the beginning of the season, thankfully. Yesterday we went to fill our oil jugs that we keep on hand for when storms hit, etc, but none of the five fuel stations in our area had furnace oil, or supreme (high test) gasoline, or diesel fuel.

Is something going on that isn't being said? I don't have a full on theory, but I'd love to know if other people in the geographical area have noticed any shortages in their towns/cities?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Maybe just supply shortages due to delivery constraints caused by back to back severe weather events?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Im hoping that's all it is. When I think back to other years where we've had severe winters, I don't recall fuel shortages, or wood shortages, but memories are never as reliable as we'd like to think they are. Maybe I'm just getting old.

a reply to: kosmicjack

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
How about the strikes at ports in California?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
That could definitely be a cause of shelf shortages in stores. I didn't put two and two together on that one, even though my SO and I were talking about it just last night, dreaming of getting a cushy 147000 base salary working the docks and striking for more money!

a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Found this ..."Wood pellet shortage frustrates pellet stove owners
Sudden cold weather and increased popularity in pellet stoves playing a role in the shortage " www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Thank you, I read this as well and thought it was strange. There was a huge push at stores providing heating options to purchase wood pellet stoves the past few years, and now they can't keep up with limited demand? I think I need to find a wood pellet maker!

Also, a warning to anyone looking into purchasing a pellet stove for heat: we regret the decision. The stove only heats a small area and requires quite a bit of maintenance. P

a reply to: the2ofusr1

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Probably weather related.
The maritimes have been getting rekt this year. 10 foot snow drifts in nb, houses and cars literally buried in NB, PEI, NS and parts of NF/Labrador (we've been spared here in st john's, aside from 1 big storm this year). Labrador has been buried, a whopping 333cm of snow has dropped in Happy Valley-Goose bay since oct, there is currently 172 on the ground there at the moment. (50 inches, 4 feet).

Bad winter this year.
edit on 18/2/15 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yea a conventional air tight wood stove would be a much more practical way to go .Its always going to be a pain ,but a nice wood fire is very enjoyable as well ....

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I live in southern Maine. I haven't noticed any major shortage of goods.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I wish we had of went with a wood stove!

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The winter has been wild. We woke up to a 7 foot drift in the drive way on Sunday, a tractor came and plowed it away, thankfully.

a reply to: AzureSky

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Lucky on the tractor. I don't have a driveway, gotta park on the side of the road. The snow plows piled a 3 foot pile of ice/snow around my car, and the drift in my walkway was at least 5 feet high.

Pulled my shoulder pretty bad getting the car out, still hurts today

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ugh. You should be able to make a claim with the city for this kind of torture! At least get a free massage out of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

With the plows and winter come bad roads too,

two weeks ago i had to take two of my winter tires off the left side because my gf hit a giant invisible hole in the road one night. Wrecked two tires and rims. Girly tried to call the gov but no answer every time she calls. They need to massage my pocket book
edit on 18/2/15 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Hahahahahahaha. Pot holes are the devil.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Hahahahahahaha. Pot holes are the devil.

Pothole dodging, Canadian national sport.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I wish we had of went with a wood stove!

Rural Nova Scotia here too and we have a woodstove. It's a big old beast but heats most of the house. Thing is though,this year there was also a shortage of firewood for sale here. To be sure,this winter has been a lesson in preparedness.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I feel for you. Having to subsist on what oil we did have in the tank, that we usually rely on only for hot water, while we tracked down pellets was an anxious time!

I've heard of friends spending exorbitant amounts for cord wood this winter after they ran out. I hope you managed to get a good deal.

a reply to: AccessDenied

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
What is going to happen to wood burning stoves & wood pellet stoves are completely banned by the EPA?
The EPA has it in for burning any kind of wood. Saying it is 10x worse than second hand cigarette smoke.
They are even considering banning new homes being built with fireplaces!

Seems they don't want anyone to use a renewable fuel source like wood but they only want everyone to consume and pay for petroleum products, gas, oil and electric.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join