It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Large Explosion and Fire at Exxon Mobil refinery in Torrance, California - Ash Falling

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
That puts "fireworks" in a new light!

Thanks for reporting this SO, the damage looks pretty brutal.. wishing no one was hurt, and this mess can be cleaned up sooner.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Strange timing for a refinery to go up in smoke when gas prices are at their lowest in some years..

Can someone say "sabotage"?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Looks like another explosion caused by tectonic plate movement and ground alteration..these are the warning signs to those paying attention..

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

That was posted in 2011??

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

One refinery blows up and you forsee economic crises on the horizon? Isn't that a bit much?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Looks like gas shortages for California, or whoever this refinery supplies, you really never know.
That's like saying everybody will be naked if one cotton plantation burns down .

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

Chill. This won't effect gas prices. It's one little refinery. Now if it was the Alaskan pipeline...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There are quite a few refineries around the country experiencing workers strikes. I don't know if this strike is affecting this refinery, however, just thought I'd throw into the discussion.

Source

(Reuters) - The largest U.S refinery workers strike since 1980 passed its 18th day on Wednesday but talks between union and oil company representatives over safety and pay restarted after a gap of a week and went into the night, according to a union text message.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

How much more energy would Scotland need to generate if all of you suddenly started driving electric cars tomorrow? That's a lot of volts.

Yes it is a lot of volts but we are heading that way and I think its a god thing....

purp..

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
There are quite a few refineries around the country experiencing workers strikes. I don't know if this strike is affecting this refinery, however, just thought I'd throw into the discussion.

Source

(Reuters) - The largest U.S refinery workers strike since 1980 passed its 18th day on Wednesday but talks between union and oil company representatives over safety and pay restarted after a gap of a week and went into the night, according to a union text message.

Actually, we've been lacking in refineries for some years and we are on a downswing with active refineries.

www.eia.gov...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

Source

I was going to mention this as well. I have a family member who is a part of that. Apparently the biggest issue they're concerned with is safety, and shell (in charge of negotiating for oil industry this year) isn't budging.

Fact is, these places are dangerous to work and blow up often enough. I would consider this to be an accident before entertaining "outrageous conspiracy theories"

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
Good old Exxon! I saw and was personally effected by the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Prince William Sound. Their track record for safety is terrible. Im not surprised. The big three at their nefarious ways again. Lets ditch oil altogether and they can go pollute somewhere else.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yup it Happened

2 hours ago
LA Times

Gas prices jump after Torrance refinery explosion
www.latimes.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Boy oh boy, they really are trying to make a case for Keystone aren't they --making it seems that the pipeline is so much safer than, say, trains that can derail and explode, or refineries that can, say, explode. Weird world, huh??

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OneNationUnder The oil in the Keystone pipeline would be traveling to Texas refineries to be refined to lighter crude and other petro-products then sold off and shipped to other refineries, so, no.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

One refinery blows up and you forsee economic crises on the horizon? Isn't that a bit much?

The petroleum industry is one of the most toxic industries…

Even when things are working.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Ummm...WOW...I wonder if it's related to the west coast "shipping blockade" that's currently ongoing...

(I mean longshoreman strike)

Whoda Thunkit...?.......................Right...?

YouSir

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: TinfoilTP

It is well known the "Green" fundies want gas at the pump to be $10,

Really... Would have though hydrogen or electric car pumps to be a better alternative.. In Japan electric car pumps now out number gas..

purp..

When would these "Green" solutions trickle down to the masses of poor and lower middle class to be in numbers and low cost to be viable? If only a handful of well to do greeners are running around in them, they are not putting a dent in the environmental impact. Besides, where do you think the electric recharging stations get their power from? Instead of auto exhaust pipes they are all consolidated into giant smokestacks at fossil fuel burning power stations.
Out of sight out of mind is all that solution is.

The amount of energy you get per L / kg is even lower because of distribution losses. Electric cars, charged with electricity generated from fossils are everything but green.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join