It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Napanee high school students to fashion wheelchair for dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Born without front legs.

Love to hear stories like this, even though it’s sad to hear of such cases. The puppy, however, loves life and hops around like a bunny on carpeting but falters on tile and hardwood.

I’d like to keep track of how the class develops the wheelchair and also how Chance adapts to it, so I’ll update if possible.

Chance is a nine-week-old bichon frise/shih tzu mix born Dec. 15, 2014. Chance is unique because he was born without front legs. Luckily, the Clarke family has taken him in.

Chance has a tough time getting around on tile or hard-wood flooring, but hops like a rabbit landing on his chest on carpet. To help him get around a little easier, the Grade 9 exploring technology class at NDSS will be building him a wheelchair.

"We're going to put the best ideas together and see what we can build," White said. "This is their very first assignment, so what they are learning is the design process

www.thewhig.com...
edit on 18/2/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
While a cool story, and yes, it will be interesting to see what they come up with, I have to wonder why one of those little two wheel carts they already make, wouldn't work? The ones they use when the back legs are paralyzed?

Oh, maybe they aren't commercially available?
Guess I will go look.

Well that was educational! They are commercially available, but most were for back legs, and I was surprised by how reasonable the cost where in some cases.

These kids could be helping not only this pup, but creating a new design for all dogs with front leg issues. Very neat!
edit on 18-2-2015 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Like you hearing these stories breaks my heart. As a disabled Vet, I watch people and animals overcome all kinds of problems. When they do it sort of turns out that the problem is with the viewer....

I bet when she receives her set rig she will be "Hell on Wheels" - a legendary tank division....

It would be wonderful if you see any news of progress to let us know....

Thanks for the story, it was wonderful to hear the two legged animal is working on a solution for a 2 legged animal that should have had 4!!!!

Edited to say I just had a look at your paintings. Wow..... From one who draws in stik people LOL and paint is slapped on a side of a house my hat is off to you.... A question I have asked many artist how the freak did you do that.... Most of the time I hear the paint what their minds eye sees. Thus confirming I R BLIND.... in that way. LOVE the Black Cat (first one).... Is that a breathing cat or an imaginary 4 legged friend??? YOU are very talented - thanks for sharing your art... Put a smile on my day for me

SnF

edit on 2/18/2015 by IceHappy because: Stated in last para

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Great to hear

My cousin in the UK already has a business which provides this service

Here is link to his site for your interest

www.dogmobile-online.com...

edit on 18-2-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Good to hear there are commercially available carts. My guess would be those would do fine for a fully grown dog, but what is being considered for Chance is a unit that could be easily altered as he grows (not that Chance would get much bigger, considering the breed).

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: IceHappy

I'll keep my ears to the ground for any developing stories with Chance and post them here if and when I find them.

'Thanks for your kind words about my paintings and the cat you're talking about, I think, is Dora.

She's our current pet... saved from being sent to Pet Prison since her previous owner was unable to care for her any longer. We've had her for a year now, She'll be 2 in May and a real terror around our house. Very playful but has claws like hypodermic needles.

edit on 18/2/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Very cool, artist poet. So glad there are commercially available carts to help animals. I'd bet spinal injuries are one of the main reasons they are needed.

Good on your cousin.

new topics

top topics

join