It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are humans a virus on this planet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is just a theory or a thought if you will, but are humans in some ways equatable to bacteria? We pollute the earth... a lot. With all the oil spills into the oceans, deforestation, power plants and air emissions... is it true that we are causing harm to Earth and making it sick just like a virus/bacteria would do to it's host?

If humans could be considered as a virus, then what parts/aspects of the earth could be considered as white blood cells and antibiotics which could act as protectors of the earth and help fight off the human virus? Natural disasters like floods and fires? Other humans even?.. As ironic as that might be...

From the Earth's perspective... are we nothing more than an intrusive parasite?...

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Nurelic

We're the dominant species on this planet, the highest on the food chain, and have been screwing up ecosystem's pretty bad for a long while. 7% of human's to ever have lived are currently breathing the air in the atmosphere.

I think you can pick anything that wrecks havoc on their environment/host and find similarities. Balance will need be had at some point. In some ways, the mechanisms to bring about that balance are already in play, but won't be felt in full force for decades to come. I think we'll weather some rather harsh times, stabilize or drop in numbers on Earth, and start detaching and spreading out into the galaxy eventually.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
George says it better than I can...

"The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance." George Carlin

edit on 2/17/2015 by Klassified because: add quote

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

We're the dominant species on this planet, the highest on the food chain, and have been screwing up ecosystem's pretty bad for a long while. 7% of human's to ever have lived are currently breathing the air in the atmosphere.

I think you can pick anything that wrecks havoc on their environment/host and find similarities. Balance will need be had at some point. In some ways, the mechanisms to bring about that balance are already in play, but won't be felt in full force for decades to come. I think we'll weather some rather harsh times, stabilize or drop in numbers on Earth, and start detaching and spreading out into the galaxy eventually.

Technically I used to see us as a parasite that thrives off our host (Earth), eventually killing it in the process. At one point we were symbiotic. It fed us, and we replenished it. Now we just destroy it with no thought to how we will survive in the coming days. So, a parasite. And a very destructive one at that.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

From the Earth's perspective... are we nothing more than an intrusive parasite?...

Yes .

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
We're like the black plague, destroying everything we come into contact with. Yes, we are a parasite, but we have the capacity as an intelligent species to better the world around us. Problem is, bettering the world comes with no personal benefit, only worldwide benefit, and some people want everything to themselves instead of dispersing it out to everyone equally as it was meant to be.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm interested to know, how would we go about "bettering the world" ? Isn't this always an anthrocentric saying? I think nature does a good job of managing this planet for the time being. How do you envision we would better it, besides for ourselves?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

No.
From the Earth's perspective, we are her children, Earth's response to the meteor hits that nearly wiped out ALL life on Earth several times.

Humans are Earth's ONLY hope to permit earth life to spread and survive on other worlds

Leftists omit the fact that WE are part of the biosphere.

Malthus, Erlich and the rest are monsters as well as failed prophets.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Stop killing it and let nature reclaim what we have destroyed. We are too far gone now though, we've passed the point of no return in my opinion.

We live in an artificial society and we are so infatuated by it at this point we could no longer live without it.

I think Bob Marley puts it best.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Are humans a virus? Agent Smith seems to think so...

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheFlesh1980

Would that make Neo an omnipotent and supercharged white blood cell?...

edit on 18-2-2015 by Nurelic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nurelic

Considering that long long ago the Supernova-Nebula-Star dust material that made planet EA*RTH and the Supernova-Nebula-Star dust material that eventually re-formed and made up the genetics for mankind's origin all came from possibly the same supernova process, 1 would think EA*RTH would view humans as long accompanying co inhabitants of the Energy containment device that many "here" were formed within.

So to answer the OP question simply, no humans to 1 are not a virus to this planet...
May not be doing the best job in care taking for the planet but 1 does not feel humans are a virus to planet EA*RTH.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Are we really the dominant species on the planet? Wouldn't the mosquito be the dominant species?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I think humans are certainly a parasite but we won't destroy the earth. As George Carlin said, the earth will eventually shake us off like fleas. That is not to say that we haven't damaged the earth but the earth will prevail and humans won't.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm interested to know, how would we go about "bettering the world" ? Isn't this always an anthrocentric saying? I think nature does a good job of managing this planet for the time being. How do you envision we would better it, besides for ourselves?

At this point we can better the world by not interfering with nature. Apart from that, the notion of bettering the world is ludicrous.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

No.
From the Earth's perspective, we are her children, Earth's response to the meteor hits that nearly wiped out ALL life on Earth several times.

Humans are Earth's ONLY hope to permit earth life to spread and survive on other worlds

Leftists omit the fact that WE are part of the biosphere.

Malthus, Erlich and the rest are monsters as well as failed prophets.

I'm not quite sure how you came to speak for earth.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
a reply to: Anyafaj

I think humans are certainly a parasite but we won't destroy the earth. As George Carlin said, the earth will eventually shake us off like fleas. That is not to say that we haven't damaged the earth but the earth will prevail and humans won't.

We're certainly doing a great job of destroying her along the way.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I will answer you OP by saying that, no, we are not a virus, but like all life we must consume to live. Humans are no better than any other form of life on the planet or in the universe. We fight to survive and evolve and hopefully along the way we end up better than we started.

Perhaps the only unique trait of humanity in comparison to any other form of life is the need for some of us to loathe our very existence. Life is a gift and we should each embrace it...not question it's value for us or any other creature.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think one thing is obvious we have to curtail our breeding. Its stupid to let economics be the arbiter. Each day that goes by I am more in favour of a new world order and no Im not talking about some crappy deluded illuminant conspiracy nonsense nerds idea.

We are a virus and the terror and menace of every other living thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Cue the usual online misanthropy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join