It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MINE analysis of historic UFO data - a practical contribution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So following up in the footsteps of the Vallee threads, especially the later bit where he got all excited over new database...stuff (not a CS major), I've been wondering if anyone was going to follow up on this. Having heard nothing, maybe we can beat Bigelow to the punch with this.

www.exploredata.net...
www.broadinstitute.org...

So we got these nifty MINE tools, where can we get the data set? Does anyone have any ideas? Is UFOCAT available - I seem to recall that was used for Vallee's early computer work. Then all we need is a underpaid CS major or several and bam: we did something cool.
edit on 12015f2807America/Chicago9 by 1ofthe9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That being said I also figured out a loophole in the Unitah basin research department. Access to the ranch per se shouldn't be an issue...

...if we had an aerial platform. Like a MiG-31 going against a flight of AGM-129's - except instead its a jury-rigged aerostat and exotic plasmas/WORMHOLES(tm).

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1ofthe9
So we got these nifty MINE tools, where can we get the data set?
Does anyone have any ideas? Is UFOCAT available - I seem to recall that was used for Vallee's early computer work. Then all we need is a underpaid CS major or several and bam: we did something cool.

You can find UFOCAT here: www.cufos.org...

After you pay the $40 you will need to get a copy of a relational database engine...Microsoft SQL Server will do very nicely, however, it is not free. Although you can probably get away with the "Express" version...it's free.

Personally, I have an issue with the cost of the data. I've been using SQL Server and the largish stellar databases available (Hipparcos, Kepler, and others) in an attempt to "find" ET among the stars...after all ET has to have a home, and it should be rather easy to find...BTW I think it was.

One can find all sort of surprising things in the right dataset...

My issue is that this UFOCAT was designed by people less competent than an astronomer (astronomers should stay away from database design). I did take a look at the list of data elements contained in UFOCAT, there does seem to be a lot of relevant elements, and more than a few spurious one, but the noise should be easy to filter.

Anyway, after you have your database set up, about all you will really need is someone who can speak the language (SQL: Structured Query Language)...you probably won't need the tools you found at all.

My fears about this UFOCAT are that it isn't in a form that can be easily imported into modern data engines. Even with it's compliance with ancient systems like excel or access 97 it could prove a near nightmare to properly install and get running.

I will say however, that IF this system could be brought on-line; ET will almost literally "jump" out of the data and slap y'all across the face.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418
My fears about this UFOCAT are that it isn't in a form that can be easily imported into modern data engines.

The mass of data in the UFOCAT database can be easily loaded using Microsoft Access. From there, it can be exported in various formats.

Personally, for faster access, I've exported the UFOCAT data to:

(1) a huge Microsoft Excel spreadsheet:

(2) an equally huge searchable PDF document:

Exporting the UFOCAT data in other formats would be a fairly trivial task - even for me (a lawyer, with rather outdated/limited technical skills).

Incidentaly, with assistance from ATS members back in 2010, I've also exported much of the data from Larry Hatch's *U* Database (created using proprietary software that ran under DOS...) to a searchable PDF and other formats, as well as doing the same with the data from various other UFO databases, catalogues and indexes.

I've had the pleasure of discussing some of these issues with Jacques Vallee over two or three meals. I keep meaning to follow up some of the possibilities for statistical work and combining databases/data-warehouses, but I haven't had the time or inclination in recent months.

Also, using the available data with the MINE system mentioned in the OP would require more information about the MINE software tools than I've seen so far and, almost certainly, some assistance from someone with greater computing/statistical knowledge that I have.

I think some of the comments in the posts above may underestimate the amount of work involved in actually performing a meaningful statistical analysis even after the data is collated and available in a database.

edit on 20-2-2015 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

So we got these nifty MINE tools

Thanks for posting the links to article on the MINE tools.

Are those tools actually available for us to use? Where?

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoiI think some of the comments in the posts above may underestimate the amount of work involved in actually performing a meaningful statistical analysis even after the data is collated and available in a database.

You're funny...go learn about SQL: Structured Query Language. I assure you it will help with your research.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418
go learn about SQL: Structured Query Language.

Thanks, but I'll leave the more technical side of things to Jacques Vallee and other computer database experts that I'm in contact with. I have no real desire to start learning SQL at this stage of my life. Formulas in Excel and basic macros are about my limit these days. The days when I'd write a computer program for fun are now in the dim and distant past.
edit on 20-2-2015 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi

So we got these nifty MINE tools

Thanks for posting the links to article on the MINE tools.

Are those tools actually available for us to use? Where?

Damn. I thought they'd be available from the site. :/

Also meals with JV? Lucky dude.
I'll confess I underestimate the issues, as databases and stats aren't a subject I'm familiar with.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
www.broadinstitute.org...

Should be in here if anywhere.

Do you know if its possible to get a line to Bigelow? I''ve been poking around but haven't had much luck. Next to Vallee, he would anong the more useful folks to get involved. He probably has the most up to date/computerized database out there through his acquisition of MUFON. Hell - they worked before at Skinwalker.

new topics

top topics

join