It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Mars 100

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As you all know over 200,000 people signed up for the chance to go on a one-way trip to establish a human presence on Mars. That number has been whittled down to 100 now and will be whittled down even further to 6 teams of four; one of those 6 teams will get the chance to be the first to live on Mars. Let's meet these brave individuals shall we. Here's the link to a profile of the last 100 potential colonists:

community.mars-one.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I love this. Just like at anytime in the history of the world, someone has to be the first and sometimes they don't all live. Being a colonist is dangerous and always has been. However, without this and others, there will be no colony on Mars, our governments and national space programs don't want it and are moving at a snails pace.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So they were able to find 100 people with no lives who want to be famous for dying either on the way to Mars or shortly after they get there. I'm not surprised that there are that many people out there who would want to do this, but I am a little saddened.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
So they were able to find 100 people with no lives who want to be famous for dying either on the way to Mars or shortly after they get there. I'm not surprised that there are that many people out there who would want to do this, but I am a little saddened.

But why do you think they'll die on the way or shortly after getting there?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This is a strangely interesting story.

There's no doubt that such a mission, to be successful, will require people with extraordinary attributes indeed, along with a whole truck load of good luck, or at least the absence of the opposite.

You can view some of the candidates personal interests, such as swimming, tandoori chicken, Sailing and so on it goes. Erm, yeah, would it not be better to have none of those types of interests when your on a one way trip to Mars ?.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This is definitely a historic event unfolding in our lives. I wish them success.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

now now, Mr Shift , don't be disheartened , there's always the pictures in the on-going anomalies thread to croon at , it might not be the same as these lucky pesons may see , but its something

funbox

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is the Ponzi Scheme of the 21st century. We are already still running the 20th century version, its called the FED. Mars? No thats Mr. Ponzi 2.0. Enough already.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

You'll either die on Earth like the other 6 billion of us, or do something so brave to pave the way for others.

They will be remembered as an example of courage whether they succeed or perhaps fail, but of course they will die eventually, we all do - but to be a beacon of hope for the future for a new generation. Incredible. And who says it will always be that way? Perhaps after they are there for 40 years and have been part of establishing a colony they may be able to hitch a ride home. But these 100 are all really there for the remainder of their lives.

Courage beyond words. The families that support these 100 have my utter respect. What a decision to make!
edit on 17-2-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
But why do you think they'll die on the way or shortly after getting there?

This is a very good article on the challenges they would face with any type of long term goal of occupying Mars.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What if this Mars-one mission isn't doomed to fail.

What if this Mars-one mission could be done?

I'm thinking of a scenario like this:
1) They get a garden sent up there, in a spaceship of some sort, which will grow whatever they need and resupply them with air via photosyntesis. It could just be some seeds and dirt which we take from earth to be sure it could grow, and in the shuttle have some sort of way to build an airsealed larger dome in which we make this. It is possible to make an ecosystem in a "closed system" so why not here? I mean, it's not like water just disappears by consumption.
2) Some sort of water cleaning system, so they basically reuse every drop of water, if no water is found beneath the surface. (Though I highly believe there is water not that far down, through what I have seen on videos etc.)
3) With vegetables and maybe fruits grown by themselves, they would have to have shipped some meat in now and then. Solar panels and windmills could supply electricity and heated water, which in return would make their lives a bit more comfortably, with heated shelters and baths.
4) IF solar flares did hit Mars, they could have a room in the shuttle which is radioactive proof, so that they won't be killed by it. With sensors ofcourse so they could just go out whenever it was safe again.
5) It shouldn't actually be THAT expensive. The missions everyone compares to, had to get safely back to earth.
These shuttles could basically be someone that just "crashes" into Mars. To avoid gear getting smushed, they could make some sort of airbags for the landing, might be a bit rough but.. Airbags and parachutes isn't unrealistic. After all, it is a "Not coming home again" concept.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I'm not surprised that there are that many people out there who would want to do this, but I am a little saddened.

Looks like the rest of your post dropped off - luckily I was able to recover the original in Full:

I'm not surprised that there are that many people out there who would want to do this, but I am a little saddened that I didn't have the Balls to do it myself, so I think I'll just attack the premise.

Indeed...

edit on 17-2-2015 by BestinShow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
How weird would it be if all these people were clones or genetically engineered androids?

Conspiracies aside....

These video interviews are bizarre!!

There must be some hope, or some type of pretty strong hypothesis from the investors and supporters of this mission. There is something special about Mars, and I would think something this serious wouldn't be done just for the fame, from the investor's stand point.

I could definitely see GoPro drone type footage on Mars one day.

I could also see Mars not being entirely what we are to think it to be.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Even though I totally disagree with your defeatism, the number willing to "die" was 200.000, not 100. And keep in mind that new frontiers and worlds are discovered thanks to courageous man, not to wimps like you.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
If it wasn't for Christopher columbus' crazy desire to die" alot of you members wouldn't have an opinion to express.

To my understanding on the news article I watched last night they are using these "astronauts" in a reality program to fund this mission, so will spend many years in isolation to fund the project. This is another sacraficed they are taking for the greater good of humanity and for those that genuinely mock these people are the types that have held back human progression for years

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

Even though I totally disagree with your defeatism, the number willing to "die" was 200.000, not 100. And keep in mind that new frontiers and worlds are discovered thanks to courageous man, not to wimps like you.

I was one of the 200,000 and the group who got the invite to Washington DC. I'd be happy to answer any of Blue Shift's concern.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I dont think it will happen and if it does its a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Imagine that....

Mideval attitude in 2015...
Theres allways a group of
ppl that will be negative...

"Heyyyy, congrats we have world peace,
ended world hunger, AND have spacecolonys"

"Sooo, my car is still cold in the morning"

Reliks

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well, I suppose if those 200,000 truly believe that their "ordinary" lives here on Earth are so meaningless that they are willing to die on a one-way Mars trip, I guess they're already dead to this world anyway. That's the sad thing. But I suppose there's no sense them hanging around here with the rest of us slugs, huh?

And as far as a human trip to Mars being an extension of our explorations here on Earth, it really isn't. Our explorations around Earth were driven by a need to find more resources. They always have been. Mars has no resources for us. It will never even be a viable place for us to establish a large colony. Just a far-away graveyard. The future will look at the first human Mars explorers as sad and misguided, not heroes.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Magnesium, Aluminium, Titanium, Iron, and Chromium are relatively common in them. In addition, lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper, zinc, niobium, molybdenum, lanthanum, europium, tungsten, and gold have been found in trace amounts.

The lithium alone would make it worth to go there. Also volcanic-basalt ist very fertile if you can establish a little more atmosphere, Mars has of all the reachable planets the best shot to become an Earth-similiar garden-like planet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join