It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Wants Unemployed Youth to Do Unpaid Work for the State. State Sponsored Slavery or.....?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Aspie

So because they have a poor education and cannot find employment our government should be allowed to force them to do menial labour for less than the minimum wage?

Once they are over the age of 16 they are considered adults how do you propose to force an adult to stay in School?

It's not a poor education they had it's like I said they dicked about and couldn't be arsed learning. Why not send them in the army? They can pick up £14,500 a year and learn some discipline, something the kids of today could do with.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I don't disagree with voluntary work when your on JSA, it helped me become more confident. But this is just ridiculess! At no point should you be forced to do 30 hours a week work, without getting plaid minimum wage!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The proposed system is to address the growing problem of what are referred to as 3rd generation benefit claimants. These are people who have never worked, their parents never worked and their grand parents never worked. They have never been exposed to a working environment and see the benefits system as a lifestyle choice, not a safety net. This cycle is rife in many parts of the UK. Forcing these people to work breaks the cycle and helps create a work-for-your-money ethos.

Many people really struggle to get a job. That is what the benefits system is for and I am happy to support that. However too many make no effort to gain employment or refuse to take jobs that doesn't fit their idea of what they want to do. Sorry guys, you need to learn that the X Factor is bollocks, there will not be some magic ticket that sweeps you away to a life of luxury. People must be prepared to take what's going to pay their own way, not wait for that golden opportunity for that dream job.

The system also addresses the problem of not being able to get a first job due to a lack of work experience. It's hard to get a job if you've been sitting on your arse for months/years with no personal improvement.

It may also help reduce the associated increase in mental health problems among the young unemployed. It has been shown that an active mind and body are good for your mental health. The levels of developed mental health problem onset and chronic alcohol and drug dependency is much lower for those in employment compared to the long term unemployed.

Cant pay the gas/electric/rent for the amount cited? Don't worry - with the right benefits package this is all paid for by the state. Can't afford travel? It's paid for too.

I have been a tax payer for a quarter of a century. I grew up in a very deprived area of Belfast surrounded by people like I describe, but I made an active effort to develop myself. I now pay a 4 figure sum in tax each month. I take exception to paying a percentage of that to people who CHOOSE not to work. The benefits system exists as a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

This isn't about the workhouse. It's about lazy good for nothing shaven headed white youth who like Jeremy Kyle and Kebabs

I fail to see how their haircut is relevant?
I have a shaved head and I work - am I some how inferior because of the length or style of my hair.
You sound like a very small minded, judgemental and angry person.
edit on 21-2-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: PaddyInf
The proposed system is to address the growing problem of what are referred to as 3rd generation benefit claimants. These are people who have never worked, their parents never worked and their grand parents never worked. They have never been exposed to a working environment and see the benefits system as a lifestyle choice, not a safety net. This cycle is rife in many parts of the UK. Forcing these people to work breaks the cycle and helps create a work-for-your-money ethos.

Many people really struggle to get a job. That is what the benefits system is for and I am happy to support that. However too many make no effort to gain employment or refuse to take jobs that doesn't fit their idea of what they want to do. Sorry guys, you need to learn that the X Factor is bollocks, there will not be some magic ticket that sweeps you away to a life of luxury. People must be prepared to take what's going to pay their own way, not wait for that golden opportunity for that dream job.

The system also addresses the problem of not being able to get a first job due to a lack of work experience. It's hard to get a job if you've been sitting on your arse for months/years with no personal improvement.

It may also help reduce the associated increase in mental health problems among the young unemployed. It has been shown that an active mind and body are good for your mental health. The levels of developed mental health problem onset and chronic alcohol and drug dependency is much lower for those in employment compared to the long term unemployed.

Cant pay the gas/electric/rent for the amount cited? Don't worry - with the right benefits package this is all paid for by the state. Can't afford travel? It's paid for too.

I have been a tax payer for a quarter of a century. I grew up in a very deprived area of Belfast surrounded by people like I describe, but I made an active effort to develop myself. I now pay a 4 figure sum in tax each month. I take exception to paying a percentage of that to people who CHOOSE not to work. The benefits system exists as a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

I've already explained why this plan is bad, so let me take a different route. Serious question here, I've seen this idea brought up a lot in this thread that there's zero sympathy for people who choose to not work. They choose to have very modest living situations, and eat less than the greatest food. They also by choice don't have the latest and greatest things.

Why is this a problem? If a person wishes to trade their time for money that person is making a choice for an economic exchange they want to make. If someone is willing to take a lesser lifestyle in order to keep their time (one resource which is finite for all of us) what's the problem?

We have reached a point in society where not everyone needs to work in order to provide for everyone. The logical step after that is how do we care for those who aren't working? Should not working then be a choice?

From the employers standpoint, if a person is choosing to work they are going to be better motivated and make for a better employee. Wouldn't it be best to focus on those who want to work and just give basic food and shelter to the ones that don't? From an employee's standpoint, when wages are out of line and minimum wage isn't a living wage why should they participate in the system? Economics work when exchanges are voluntary, if the employer isn't offering an attractive enough wage, shouldn't that employer go without rather than benefit from state mandated workers?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

This isn't about the workhouse. It's about lazy good for nothing shaven headed white youth who like Jeremy Kyle and Kebabs

I have a shaved head and I work - am I some how inferior because of the length or style of my hair.
You sound like a very small minded, judgemental and angry person.

Haha pots and kettles

Don't be so harmed by the views of others, but I stand by what I said. You may be a baldie by choice but that's your idea. There are groups of shaven headed yobs on sink estates who refuse to do work. They should contribute something but don't. It's true and lots of them have shaven heads, it's just true

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I have been a tax payer for a quarter of a century. I grew up in a very deprived area of Belfast surrounded by people like I describe, but I made an active effort to develop myself. I now pay a 4 figure sum in tax each month. I take exception to paying a percentage of that to people who CHOOSE not to work.

Firstly well done on being where you are now
I admire you for pulling yourself up by your shoelaces from a deprived area

Secondly you speak total sense, those people who make a career out of living off our taxes are tape worms pure and simple

Why is it these Kurdish refugees within a few years are working hard cleaning cars and in restaurants, garages tec and set up proper businesses within a few years contributing to the system. They work their balls off and compare that to the career doosers who are born here. Wish we could do a swap

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with people who don't want to work. I do have a problem with them expecting to have this lifestyle choice funded by my hard-earned money.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with people who don't want to work. I do have a problem with them expecting to have this lifestyle choice funded by my hard-earned money.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

How much of your "Hard earned money" do you pay per year towards unemployment benefit.?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

How much of your "Hard earned money" do you pay per year towards unemployment benefit.?

1 penny would be too much. How much do you?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aspie

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

1 penny would be too much. How much do you?

So you dont know if unemployment benefit costs you anything but you are raging anyway. ?
I know exactly what UB cost me...hence the reason i'm not a raging maniac on the subject of Unemployment like some of you guys.
Now get me started on Private sector pensions, Tax Evasion, Illegal banking practices, the cost of WMD's stored not 40 miles from my door and the cost of Illegal Wars and you'll hear some Rage.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

The amount is irrelevant. I work to pay for me. I pay taxes and into the welfare system to support those who NEED it through no fault of their own.

To put it in perspective how would you feel about working every day, just to have someone take some of it just because they won't earn their own? That's theft in my book.

Just to answer your question somewhere in the region of 23% of the average earners tax goes on welfare, of which half is paid to people of working age.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Aspie

I have to say, and im not proud of the fact nether. I dogged most of the 2nd and 3rd year of secondary school, thought it better to get stoned, drunk and full of jellys with my mates rather than actually attend class. Yet i still managed to walk away with 6 standard grades at levels never going below a 3. School essentially taught me nothing and felt like a wasted experience. Obviously when i attended college, then university i applied myself somewhat more effectively but not everyone will get the chances in life that are available to some.

As to sending them to the army, what for? So they can fight in wars that have nothing to do with our nation and the expense of there lives and limbs, never mind there sanity? Instruction in the use of military grade hardware and how to kill, maim and subjugate people of lesser means does not sound like the solution to me.
edit on 21-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

Small-minded,bigoted,Ignorant,Arrogant Twat seems more appropriate in his case.
I am shaven headed,I'm not lazy and I don't sit around eating kebabs all day watching Jeremy Kyle either...lol

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

a reply to: Soloprotocol

Just to answer your question somewhere in the region of 23% of the average earners tax goes on welfare, of which half is paid to people of working age.

@ 11.5 % you are seriously overcooking the figures by about 500%...I asked how much you pay for Unemployment benefit alone,
Not child benefit, Not housing benefit and Tax Credits paid to the working man/woman because wages are so low...

Just a ball park figure on how much from your weekly pay packet goes on.."UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT"..ie, People who dont have a Job?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As always people look for a scapegoat in situations... the easiest target, the poorest in society.

This is a breakdown of the total welfare spending for the UK.

Income support.. the one everyone is raging about (You know, those unemployed scum ruining the economy and tearing down the country) is only 6bn, which sounds a lot taken out of context but when you compare it to the total expenditure it is nothing.

People should be raging against the real problem, the rich elite who suck all the cash from the pockets of EVERYONE in the country, the bankers, the corporate elite, the tax dodgers etc etc... You know who I mean.

To suggest that Income Support payments are breaking the bank is ludicrous!!

Besides, having paid taxes most of my life I see it as a insurance policy for myself in the event should I become unemployed.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Mister_Bit

Chase the £18+ billion pounds in unpaid taxes before coming after the £6 billion in benefits would be the logical solution, stands to reason!

Oh wait, that wont work considering most government official's, councillors and other members of parliament are up to there neck regarding that missing £18+ billion. They would essentially be chasing their own tail, thats rather apt considering the dogs that they are!

edit on 21-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: defcon25
a reply to: stargatetravels

Small-minded,bigoted,Ignorant,Arrogant Twat seems more appropriate in his case.
I am shaven headed,I'm not lazy and I don't sit around eating kebabs all day watching Jeremy Kyle either...lol

Talk about touchy
I'm really pleased you have a shaven head. Good for you.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
As far as I can see.....the benefits paid out to these people ultimately end up in the pockets of business owners. I mean how much money do you think these non-workers are putting in their piggy banks ? I would say very close to none... It all goes to a landlord or a grocery store or any other business that would provide the things that we all consume. How many hospitals would even be in business if it wasn't for government subsidies/benefits ? It is ALL ultimately corporate welfare.

Now as far as the issue of forced labor. I personally would love to have an army of youth and vitality at my disposal. I would put them to work planting fruit trees ,berry bushes,vegetable gardens and any other practical application I could think of that would help establish true independence for all of us. If we utilized all public lands such as parks and right of ways for these purposes and then utilized this labor force to tend to these plants as well as harvest and preserve the produce they could go a long way toward providing their own food through their own efforts. And not only that but they would be learning valuable and practical skills

But the reason you will never see something like this done is because there would be no money to be made from it. And in fact much money to be lost by some.
edit on 21-2-2015 by HarryJoy because: add

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join