It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cops Have Killed Every 8 Hours in 2015

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

There doesn't appear to be any analysis yet. We have 143 reports. Two of the links are dead. One is worthless as far as any info.

two airsoft guns, one BB gun, one pellet gun, one replica gun
seventeen knives, one throwing knives
seven cars aimed at officers or rammed their vehicle
six killed when run over by patrol cars or similar; three killed in MVA with patrol cars
one empty shotgun holster
one rock thrower, one hammer wielder, one shovel swinger
one pitbull and owner and dog shot during search (unclear as to weapons involved)
six possibly unarmed (not clear from story) shot during altercations/struggles with officers
one after chase unknown if armed
one allegedly chasing/shooting at thieves then shot by officers himself
one who fired at officers in his home after being misidentified as a suspect
one shot maneuvering cuffs and stealing police car
one shot by officers performing a safety check when he drew on them; officer shot (two separate entries in database)
four died in custody or on intake, causes unknown
one shot and one caught in cross-fire between officer and suspect shooting
one dead after being stun gunned in custody
one undisclosed weapon
one corrections officer was an apparent murder-suicide
one agent shot during training exercise
four tased by officers who later died
one shot by officer after officer shot dog and he got his own gun

So that's 69 of 141 (I counted fast and suck at math so don't hold that against me). The rest, the other half, all exchanged or threatened gunfire...at the police or at someone else.

I think there were at least 8 officers injured/shot. Forgot to keep track of that. Also, most of the stories were very, very preliminary.

And of course to gain real insight, we would need to know how many call/stops/responses police made in total, U.S.-wide in those 48 days.
edit on 2/17/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

1) Right, but like the story, I'm going with the numbers at hand, so we both have the same handicap and skewed numbers on which to do calculations.

2) Understood, but since I don't have that number, I made sure to note that I was talking about all on-duty officers. Again, my numbers are still much more accurate than the story posted, because they at least take into account basic math concerning that needs to be considered. Even if the final number is half of what I came up with, that's still one LEO homicide for every 7,647 hours. That still makes the original story's claimed 1/8hrs number nearly 956 times more than it would be if my number were off by 100%.

3) Again, and as I noted in another thread, there are certain variable that are not accounted for in generalizations and averages, which is what mine AND the original story's numbers are meant to be. But, again, I already noted that in another response:

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: safetymeeting
Does that mean any time I leave my house I automatically have a 1 in 260,000 chance of losing my life to the hands of a police officer?
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No. Not at all. That just means that there are 260,000 LEOs on-duty at any given time in America, on average.

It's in bold in my comment...a person dies at the hands of an LEO once every 15,294 hours. That's a little more than a day, and that doesn't even break it down further as to supposed justified or unjustified homicides. Of course, if you wanted to get super specific, you'd need to divide that by the amount of officers on-duty in a specific jurisdiction during a specific shift. But I don't have time for that. I know if my city, there are maybe 20 officers on patrol at a given time, so that would equal to about one homicide every 765 hours, or one every 32 days. Of course, that's a generalization, and there hasn't been one in my town for months, if not years, especially a controversial or unjusitified one. All of these numbers don't take into account the variables like clusters (big cities) and places that haven't had any for decades. All of this is relevant to the conversation, but for averages like I did, they're not.

I think you'll be okay if you don't act like a jackass around an officer...hell, even if you do, the odds are still in your favor of walking away unharmed.

That good enough for you? Or are you trying to say that mine is oversimplification and that the OP's linked story is better? I know mine is a generalization, and I state that numerous times. I'm failing to see your point, unless you are just trying to cast doubt on my comment for the sake of casting doubt.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Interesting database.

I'm not through them all yet, but judging from the links I've followed so far, it seems to me that we wouldn't be having this issue if people didn't point guns or fire at officers or other people.

Hey, you're not supposed to point out the fact that we have the most unruly and well-armed citizens on the planet. How many of these police killings take place during two-way shootouts?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

See above, more or less. I didn't keep track of that (but should have) but just ballparking it after having read all 141 stories, I'd say about 15% of these. Most of the others were weapons pointed either at the police or at someone else or in a few cases being reached for.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Interesting database.

I'm not through them all yet, but judging from the links I've followed so far, it seems to me that we wouldn't be having this issue if people didn't point guns or fire at officers or other people.

I don't know about that, as another poster said, unruly people. What about unruly police? something of an advantage there when there is only one 'unruly' person.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Police are people too, so what's your point?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That's not exactly a high end intellectual statement is it? So what to do? for me to continue with more graphics from YouTube? do you want to see people with their hands up being shot or also being killed by police, and patently wrongly. No, I'm not going to to that babe. It is however, all out there. It's your turn to look and see, and forget the stats.
edit on 17-2-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I posted stats and asked you a legitimate question. Unruly people. Unruly police? It happens. People, all people, make mistakes for a myriad of reasons.

And why don't you spend some time looking up the stats and doing some math instead of just posting the clickbait videos, all of which we've all already seen. Videos that are, despite what you appear to believe, statistically rare albeit sensationalistic magnets to people like you.

Reality check yourself.

And don't f**cking call me babe.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I posted stats and asked you a legitimate question. Unruly people. Unruly police? It happens. People, all people, make mistakes for a myriad of reasons.

And why don't you spend some time looking up the stats and doing some math instead of just posting the clickbait videos, all of which we've all already seen. Videos that are, despite what you appear to believe, statistically rare albeit sensationalistic magnets to people like you.

Reality check yourself.

And don't f**cking call me babe.

I don't need to do math/s to show relevant video, and just because that makes you cross, neither does it make 'The/any Stats' plausible by default.
I've seen forecast budgets totally fecked up when there has been two Easters in a fiscal year, when nobody noticed..it happens! Stats don't like that kind of thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Broward County, FL — A former Florida police officer has admitted to forcing undocumented immigrants into having sex with him.

Jonathan Bleiweiss, 34, pleaded guilty to an array of charges last week, admitting to 14 counts of armed false imprisonment, 15 counts of battery and four counts of stalking.

However, he avoided all of the charges with “sex” in them. Most likely due to his police officer status, this former Broward Sheriff’s deputy was given an insultingly lenient plea deal. As part of that deal, Bleiweiss did not face charges of sexual battery, and as such will not be required by the state of Florida to register as a sex offender.

source

Yes cops are people too, and a lot of them are not nice moral people. There should be no special treatment of them when the do wrong, they too should be held responsible for their crime.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

Yes cops are people too, and a lot of them are not nice moral people. There should be no special treatment of them when the do wrong, they too should be held responsible for their crime.

And one day, in the shiny future, if we separate their oversight from the prosecutor that depends on them, maybe we would have LEO oversight that doesn't have an inherent conflict of interest, instead of either their buddies at the precinct or a DA that depends on the cops for his livelihood.

Until then, they'll get away with murder, literally, unless it goes so viral the DA is more afraid of the electorate than the cop union, or it's the wrong person in the political hierarchy, or the person has connections due to money.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
So what your saying is that in a country like the United States with a population of approximately 300 million, 1000 of them were shot by the police within the last year, I'm not seeing a big problem here. Let me ask this what were those 1000 people doing when this happened, or at least the majority of them? Curious didn't the flu kill more people than that last year.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Personally I think the police should open fire on anyone who approaches them aggressively, armed or not. Extreme?
Consider your (bs) stats about China. We'll just imagine that they accurately report things. Did you check into how many people "disappear", get imprisoned for life, torture, various other human rights issues? Of course not. It doesn't fit your anti-police crusade.

Let's cut the crap. Aside from children or the mentally impaired, we all know the law. We all know we're supposed to listen to a police officer when he gives orders (even if they're incorrect at the time - file a complain properly later instead of being a dick). We all know what we're supposed to do in life. We all know what to do when pulled over or when police show up. Yet so many say screw it and think they can defy the cops.

I strongly support police officers defending themselves, and before you argue about "defenseless, helpless people on YouTube", just zip it. Those bait videos are crap. You're painting 99.9% of the police with 0.1% of the bad ones. By that same measure we can say that all teachers are bad and must be stopped. All firemen should be stopped. Damn those paramedics too!

The next time YOU'RE in a bind and wishing a policeman was nearby to help you, potentially saving your life, I hope one shows up and you open your eyes. You don't deserve to have one show up and help you, but that's what these people do - the vast majority of them dedicate their lives to helping everyone, regardless of their opinions.

Just to restate...You can't compare the US to most other countries. China is ludicrous. Why not compare it to Nigeria or Iran or Syria? If the US had laws and insanely strict policies and disciplines like these countries did the police wouldn't need to shoot - people would shut up and obey the law.

If you don't like the laws in your country, by the way, you can always move.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

Nice to hear your opinions, it says a lot. Bla bla blah...

If you don't like the laws in your country, by the way, you can always move.

We have laws, but biased prosecutors should not be involved in the trials of LEO's, nor should police departments be allowed police themselves!

Maybe you should move as many of us will not allow our country to turn into the POS you desire!

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Cause and effect.

US citizens allowed the right to bear arms ------> US police are more jumpy around everyone, as everyone "may be armed" ------> People get shot ------> As a result more people buy guns and claim the right to bear arms -----> US police get even more jumpy around everyone ------> People get shot ---------> More people buy guns.......

And so on and so forth. It's a self-reinforcing cycle.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

This is such horrible logic.

Look heres the issue. There is absolutely no accountability from the DA's office. The majority of the public feels like the police are there to harass them at traffic stops and rarely does anyone ever have an encounter with the police that leaves them feeling grateful and appreciative.

I have in person witnessed police brutality, i have in person had police threaten to kill me if i said 1 more word while being fully compliant. The police where i live now are not that bad but i have lived in other areas of the country where you fear for your life everytime you talk to a police officer.

Id we as the public KNEW for a fact that the DA's office was actively engaged in holding the local department responsible for their actions and the police were getting charged equal to what citizens are getting charged and getting equal punishment we wouldnt have this problem in the first place.

Get your perspectives right.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Oh I'm not sympathizing with the US Police one bit, in fact I personally don't ever want to visit the US for fear of getting randomly stopped and abused/beaten/jailed/shot by the police there. Cops where I live are assholes yeah but at least they are relatively reasonable to deal with in comparison.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Because the cop haters can't pretend that the flu is racist or some kind of bigot.

Their whole cops are racist murderers is the "popular" thing for them to say at the moment.

They should take the capability of dialing 911 off of their phones-and just let home invaders do whatever they want to them and their family.

Let them see who the racist murderers REALLY are.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

If something did happen to you over here-it would be done by the liberals' pet criminals-like the "gentle giant" for example.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I was kind of responding to the entire thread i dont know why i clicked on your name. But yeah with power comes responsibility.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join