It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cops Have Killed Every 8 Hours in 2015

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The amount of lives lost to policing in the US of A is totally out of control! Myself I have to wonder if the cops choice of drugs (steroids) is not playing a major part in this problem, roid rage kills!

As of February 15, only a month and a half into 2015, there has been at least 136 individuals killed by police in the United States since the first of the year. The frighteningly high number averages out to three killed per day, or someone killed every eight hours. While there is no government-run database, Killed By Police has taken it upon themselves to keep track, and are doing a fantastic job thus far.

China, whose population is 4 and 1/2 times the size of the United States, recorded 12 killings by law enforcement officers in 2014.

Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people.

So far this year all cop killers have been other cops. This year the police seem to be far more likely to die as a result of police brutality than at the hand of a violent suspect.

source

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

The saddest thing of all is that most people won't even bat an eye at this situation.

We have a growing problem on our hands, with nothing in the works to fix this.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Things are getting so absurd a collapse is guaranteed. You can't just de-program all critical thought and morality from a society and expect anything different.

So obvious, so overt and so unjust are the authoritarians and automatons. The power structure is hardening and people are doing what they do ignore, deny, distract.

It's 1932 Germany and you will not be able to deny or ignore what comes next. The distractions will become more surreal and bloody, I am sure. They have to.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You know it's a sad state of affairs when the Chinese police are less brutal.

"If they would have just listened to the officer they would not be dead"

Welcome to Police State Amerrikkkaa 2015!

Embrace your enslavement...
edit on 17-2-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well, it's good that someone is interested enough to collate all this information independently, but it doesn't make good reading. While the US police do have stats, they are useless nationwide when some areas don't even contribute, that's just plain crazy.

"In 1994 the Justice department was charged by Congress with tracking police shootings and statistics. it has never been accomplished under any administration. In all probability never will even though it is in all probability being paid for. More contempt for the taxpayer and maleficence by elected officials"
I think it's near time to get the finger out.
edit on 17-2-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Sadly people are accepting it like it's not a problem. As usual, most people don't care unless it directly affects them. I know law enforcement is dangerous but now the danger's to the citizens and not the cops. Exactly when will people realize this behavior is inexcusable? We need more Joe Friday's on the job and less pent up jocks.....

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Interesting database.

I'm not through them all yet, but judging from the links I've followed so far, it seems to me that we wouldn't be having this issue if people didn't point guns or fire at officers or other people.
edit on 2/17/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

There's most certainly a big problem with the population, that can't be denied. But these killings are overwhelming. We can say people shouldn't behave like that, so they wouldn't warrant police attention. However it seems like the police often go way too far and honestly, seems like lots of them enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That link is piss-poor math.

What you need to do is take into account the amount of LEOs in America (780,000 in 2012...the most recent total I could find quickly) and divide that by three, since there are three 8-hour shifts in a given day. Now you have the number 260,000 (a closer guess as to how many LEOs are on-duty at any given time). So, we take that 260,000 and then divide by the total number of LEO-involved deaths (which is a best-guess and probably lower than the actual number), 136, and you come to a final number of 1911.76, or 1912 for our purposes.

In doing this, you arrive at one death for every 1,912 LEO shifts in America since the year began. If you want to know how many deaths that is per hour, now you multiply that by 8 (I'm assuming 8-hour shifts), and you have 15,294 (when using the non-rounded number for accuracy).

So, if you want to make a little more sense, you should say that there has been one death per every 15,294 LEO-hours this year.

One death for every 15,294 hours a law enforcement officer is on duty.

This is a more appropriate way to do the math, and is also closer to the reality of what this story is trying to portray. I know my math isn't perfect, but like I said, it's a better representation to the reality. It utterly amazes me that people regurgitate this type of information without employing critical thinking to see if the stats shown even make sense. Maybe I'm just better at critical thinking and math than the average person...I don't know.

Why does this escape most people?

Either way, if I missed something in my math, the point still remains--the math in this article is garbage.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Interesting database.

I'm not through them all yet, but judging from the links I've followed so far, it seems to me that we wouldn't be having this issue if people didn't point guns or fire at officers or other people.

For the most part, you're absolutely correct, but there are those instances where officer negligence and overzealousness contribute to unnecessary injury and death. But, I'd argue that those are the vast minority of officer-involved homicides.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Why do the numbers never show all the information?
How many killed while armed with a gun?
How many killed during a felony?
How many had convictions for violent crimes?
how many were completely innocent?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Does that mean any time I leave my house I automatically have a 1 in 260,000 chance of losing my life to the hands of a police officer?
a reply to: SlapMonkey

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I batted an eye...the article and the math within it is crap. Don't just blindly accept this every-8-hours crap and then accuse most people of ignoring the growing problem. Yes, the numbers are too high, but not nearly as high as this article states.

And for anyone who believes that China puts out accurate stats concerning LEO-involved homicides...well, hell, I've got nothing for that one.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: safetymeeting
Does that mean any time I leave my house I automatically have a 1 in 260,000 chance of losing my life to the hands of a police officer?
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No. Not at all. That just means that there are 260,000 LEOs on-duty at any given time in America, on average.

It's in bold in my comment...a person dies at the hands of an LEO once every 15,294 hours. That's a little more than a day, and that doesn't even break it down further as to supposed justified or unjustified homicides. Of course, if you wanted to get super specific, you'd need to divide that by the amount of officers on-duty in a specific jurisdiction during a specific shift. But I don't have time for that. I know if my city, there are maybe 20 officers on patrol at a given time, so that would equal to about one homicide every 765 hours, or one every 32 days. Of course, that's a generalization, and there hasn't been one in my town for months, if not years, especially a controversial or unjusitified one. All of these numbers don't take into account the variables like clusters (big cities) and places that haven't had any for decades. All of this is relevant to the conversation, but for averages like I did, they're not.

I think you'll be okay if you don't act like a jackass around an officer...hell, even if you do, the odds are still in your favor of walking away unharmed.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The problem is multi faceted.
First, the police refuse to police themselves. Cops will not call out other cops. This is where the "good cops" fail miserably. This problem is compounded by hiring many ex military whose loyalty to each other far outweighs loyalty to the public whom is often seen as the enemy.
Secondly, no politicians will ever criticize the police. How can any anti- police candidate ever get elected. The police agency's know this and use this leverage quite fiercely. We saw an example of police retribution towards a pol that spoke up with the recent NYPD work slowdown after the Mayor had some negative comments toward police after the chokehold death of a suspect. There was an immediate and systemic work slowdown, as in writing no tickets, all the while while they were collecting their full salaries. How long could NYC survive without that revenue?
Somewhere along the line the accepted rules of engagement went from there actually being a serious threat to an officers life to " I "thought" there was a serious threat to my life.
Every single officer involved shooting should be subject to a non police agency review possibly a federal body under the auspices of civil rights.
The old adage is still true. A few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel. Especially when the good ones do nothing.

VinMan

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The stats be damned there too many dead people from police guns....period.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
We do have a growing problem and it has nothing to do with the police. it has everything to do with the people and the fact they think they have a right to disobey simple laws and also simple directions given by the police. I get that there are bad apples that ruin it for the police force but there are many many more who ruin it for the average citizen like myself.

How many lives have cops saved or done a service every hour in the United States?

They put their lives at risk every single day. They have to be on guard because it takes 1 second for that bad apple to take the life of a cop. Who in many cases has a family.

Also you compare China to the US but you do not mention that China is a communist country with much stricter laws. I for one have called for stricter laws time and time again. Yes I'm thankful for what we have but as you can see we have much more crime and it's because the fact we are a non strict country.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Also I would like police haters to put themselves in the shoe's of a cop just for 1 day. A simple call about a possible domestic violence lead to this cops death.

www.dailymail.co.uk... r-old-rookie-officer.html

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Live in one of the deadliest cities in the U.S. like I do-and see what kind of subhuman murderous garbage that the cops deal with on a daily basis.

In my area-95%+ police shootings are justified.

They shot and killed a child murderer a block or two from my house-about 2 weeks ago.

I would have shaken their hands.
edit on 17-2-2015 by FalcoFan because: lead paint chips and dip as a child

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

That link is piss-poor math.

What you need to do is take into account the amount of LEOs in America (780,000 in 2012...the most recent total I could find quickly) and divide that by three, since there are three 8-hour shifts in a given day. Now you have the number 260,000 (a closer guess as to how many LEOs are on-duty at any given time). So, we take that 260,000 and then divide by the total number of LEO-involved deaths (which is a best-guess and probably lower than the actual number), 136, and you come to a final number of 1911.76, or 1912 for our purposes.

In doing this, you arrive at one death for every 1,912 LEO shifts in America since the year began. If you want to know how many deaths that is per hour, now you multiply that by 8 (I'm assuming 8-hour shifts), and you have 15,294 (when using the non-rounded number for accuracy).

So, if you want to make a little more sense, you should say that there has been one death per every 15,294 LEO-hours this year.

One death for every 15,294 hours a law enforcement officer is on duty.

This is a more appropriate way to do the math, and is also closer to the reality of what this story is trying to portray. I know my math isn't perfect, but like I said, it's a better representation to the reality. It utterly amazes me that people regurgitate this type of information without employing critical thinking to see if the stats shown even make sense. Maybe I'm just better at critical thinking and math than the average person...I don't know.

Why does this escape most people?

Either way, if I missed something in my math, the point still remains--the math in this article is garbage.

Who says its more appropriate?
(1)The bureau of stats figure can't even be accurate, since there are areas of no information on police numbers.
(2) Not all police officers are patrol persons, much of the figure includes administration, senior officers and policy makers.
(3) Cities are hotspots, yet your method wants to share the body count with areas where there is little or no killings.

Your method is oversimplification, of a very complex matter, and where information is not always shared.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join