It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Steal Up To $1 Billion From Banks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
HOLY Mother thats a lot of moolah! From HUFF POST

Hackers are said to programmed A.T.M.s to dispense money when and where they wanted. | Allison Michael Orenstein via Getty Images

NEW YORK (AP) — A hacking ring has stolen up to $1 billion from banks around the world in what would be one of the biggest banking breaches known, a cybersecurity firm says in a report scheduled to be delivered Monday.

The hackers have been active since at least the end of 2013 and infiltrated more than 100 banks in 30 countries, according to Russian security company Kaspersky Lab.

After gaining access to banks' computers through phishing schemes and other methods, they lurk for months to learn the banks' systems, taking screen shots and even video of employees using their computers, the company says.

Once the hackers become familiar with the banks' operations, they use that knowledge to steal money without raising suspicions, programming ATMs to dispense money at specific times or setting up fake accounts and transferring money into them, according to Kaspersky. The report is set to be presented Monday at a security conference in Cancun, Mexico. It was first reported by The New York Times.

The hackers seem to limit their theft to about $10 million before moving on to another bank, part of the reason why the fraud was not detected earlier, Kaspersky principal security researcher Vicente Diaz said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

The attacks are unusual because they target the banks themselves rather than customers and their account information, Diaz said.

Most of the targets have been in Russia, the U.S., Germany, China and Ukraine, although the attackers may be expanding throughout Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, Kaspersky says. In one case, a bank lost $7.3 million through ATM fraud. In another case, a financial institution lost $10 million by the attackers exploiting its online banking platform.

Kaspersky did not identify the banks and is still working with law-enforcement agencies to investigate the attacks, which the company says are ongoing.

I guess in the end its all numbers until they were able to remove it from the ATM's then it became a "Problem" ..

edit on 2/17/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
S&f nice catch id like 1% of that and im good yea the whole stealing from the atm thing is old, you remember terminator when conner hooks up a gadget and walks away with cash priceless!!!a reply to: DjembeJedi

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
S&f nice catch id like 1% of that and im good yea the whole stealing from the atm thing is old, you remember terminator when conner hooks up a gadget and walks away with cash priceless!!!a reply to: DjembeJedi

Hahaha! Great reference..Loved that flick when it first came out.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Yea i went a long time without a bank account like 3years we had some stuff happen on our account im not to happy with and the bank did nothing about it i just recently opened an account my direct deposit goes in and thats it as soon as money hits i move it to a prepaid card!!!a reply to: DjembeJedi

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I like how seriously the banks take this stealing of their money (since it's all just numbers to them), like, "Hey everyone, someone stole ten million dollars from us, how about we book a vacation to Cancun, get wasted and chat about it."

If a person walked into a bank and stole ten million dollars, the higher ups would milk it for all they could.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is a duplicate thread- someone else beat you to it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The crook banks are insured by their crook buddies- they won't lose a dime in the end.

Something about the central banks and the corporations that grow up around them stealing everything from everyone, yadda yadda...
edit on 17-2-2015 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It seems to me that the banks still haven't lost a red cent as a victim of this alleged scam, not when you consider the billions they stole from taxpayers and deduct this loss from that massive gain. They're still a few billion in front.

I think it's more likely the banks are defrauding their own systems, 'stealing' their own money and hiding it, then claiming these 'losses' from insurances.

Banks do insure themselves against fraud, don't they?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Wrong thread oops

edit on 17-2-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
This is a duplicate thread- someone else beat you to it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The crook banks are insured by their crook buddies- they won't lose a dime in the end.

Something about the central banks and the corporations that grow up around them stealing everything from everyone, yadda yadda...

Damn I did a search but somehow it didnt show! Oh well.MODS close thread if needed!

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Maybe the intelligence community should quit spying on average people and start locating criminals such as these. It's not like the internet is some secret, hidden land. Most technical people know how it works.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

I think it's more likely the banks are defrauding their own systems, 'stealing' their own money and hiding it, then claiming these 'losses' from insurances.

Kind of an inside job, huh?

"Bankers bail out", is not going to be a future headline. Maybe they'll blame North Korea…
edit on 17-2-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have a couple questions. Was the money "stolen" by moving it to other accounts? Doesn't that leave an electronic trail?

Another problem I have is how ATMS can dispense a billion dollars at random?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: doobydoll

Kind of an inside job, huh?

"Bankers bail out", is not going to be a future headline. Maybe they'll blame North Kprea…

Bankers bail-out, banking fraud, insurance fraud, or whatever you want to call it, banks still gain, and it's us the little people who end up paying for the 'loss'.

Different method, same result - It's all just different ways for them to skin us cats.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think the billion dollars claim was just click bait. The thieves probably took the maximum amount, a few thousand maybe? from the ATMs all over the city they were in over years and years to amass a billion dollars stolen.

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I think the billion dollars claim was just click bait. The thieves probably took the maximum amount, a few thousand maybe? from the ATMs all over the city they were in over years and years to amass a billion dollars stolen.

a reply to: intrptr

Seems kind of far fetched, right? There are cameras and receipts.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I heard that in some places of the world they are taking a more direct approach and blowing up ATMs to get the money!

edit on 17-2-2015 by Blastoff because: clarity

top topics

join