It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont High Schoolers Just Destroy Fox News About The Ethics Of Journalism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guidance.Is.Internal

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: Spider879

Maybe if these young people are so gosh darn concerned about ethics and integrity they would also look at.....CNN,MSNBC,PBS,BBC,CBS,ABC.

I bet they have a liberal progressive teacher with sketchy ethics and integrity guiding these foolish young minds in the direction they want. Oh to be young and stupid again. Selective integrity is not real integrity.

This. I'd like to see someone take a poll in class and determine the political leanings of the journalism students. Nationally, only 7% of journalists identify themselves as Republican. Should we be surprised?

So are you saying the truth is liberally biased??

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
No what he's stating is 93% of journalists are idiots a reply to: Spider879

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Umm wonder why they didn't do that with CNN, CBS, MSNBC, or any the other liberal news that keeps having high ranking reporters outed as making thing up?

I don't remember any of he REPORTERS on Fox making things up. Yes they have had some guest that have made some major opps, and most of those have been back on and apologies or corrected themselves.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

The "Reporters" on FOX don't need to make anything up, they just read the scripted stuff put in front of them. The well groomed talking heads who front these infotainment channels can hardly even be called journalists any more as they are merely presenters.

With huge media corporations these days able to sink or support entire governments, they have gone way beyond journalism as it used to be and will not report anything that may harm their other investments in other sectors of the corporate world. The governments, corporations and media are all one big manipulation machine where we, the ordinary people, are served their products for consumption (at a price of course - gotta keep the profits rolling in.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
This is the people fighting back.

It goes to show that many young Americans are aware and are willing to do something about it.

I hope this hurts Fox. It would help if they just crawled away never to be seen or heard of again.

P

I agree, but I think this has been going on for some time now. Faux's audience demographic is predominantly white, Republican and over 60. They've basically destroyed themselves through their addiction to BS, and in about twenty years it will probably be off the air as their ignorant audience dies and the younger generations reject it.

Aways look to what the younger generations are doing and you can pretty accurately predict what's going to happen.

Faux News is doomed, just as traditional TV in general is doomed as the youth increasingly move to on-demand content.

The same will likely eventually happen to most mainstream news outlets too, most specifically in the US, as younger people see the standards of other Western nations and point out the untrustworthy nature of American broadcasters. No doubt Faux News is the lowest of the low, the bottom of the barrel, but in comparison to many other countries all your news media is biased and sensationalist.

I don't know what American viewing figures are for BBC America, but I get the feeling the BBC wouldn't have started that if there wasn't an audience for more trustworthy news within the US. It's by no means perfect (and I could argue for days non-stop about how I don't trust the BBC either) but in my opinion there's no denying the BBC is more trustworthy than all American news sources.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

Umm wonder why they didn't do that with CNN, CBS, MSNBC, or any the other liberal news that keeps having high ranking reporters outed as making thing up?

I don't remember any of he REPORTERS on Fox making things up. Yes they have had some guest that have made some major opps, and most of those have been back on and apologies or corrected themselves.

They stated this at the start of the piece, this was in response to the Faux News right-wing propaganda about their state and city, so unless those other news organizations have led a right-wing tirade against them why would they feel the need to pick them apart?

I notice you don't at all confront the actual basis of the video, the fact that Faux News is in breach of all basic and simple journalistic ethics.

Seems those who support Faux News have no interest in actual journalism - no shock there.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy

The "Reporters" on FOX don't need to make anything up, they just read the scripted stuff put in front of them. The well groomed talking heads who front these infotainment channels can hardly even be called journalists any more as they are merely presenters.

With huge media corporations these days able to sink or support entire governments, they have gone way beyond journalism as it used to be and will not report anything that may harm their other investments in other sectors of the corporate world. The governments, corporations and media are all one big manipulation machine where we, the ordinary people, are served their products for consumption (at a price of course - gotta keep the profits rolling in.

True, but at least Fox will read the story about things that the other stations won't even talk about.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
We've already labeled "Russia Today" as propaganda, it's about time Fox "News" was also labeled propaganda. Fox uses lies, distortions and misrepresentation to demonize Democrats while glorifying Republican ideology for votes. Most (if not all) media outlets display bias, but Fox goes a step further in using lies to become propaganda.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Oh my that response from Fox is an absolute joke, they actually responded to them and put that on network news
absolute joke

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I just came across this piece from the Guardian. I immediately thought of this thread as it's another sorry example of the state of news media today:

www.theguardian.com...

The Daily Telegraph’s chief political commentator has resigned and launched a blistering attack on the paper’s management and owners over its lack of coverage of the HSBC tax story, which he described as a “fraud on its readers”.

Peter Oborne, associate editor of the Spectator and a familiar face on Channel 4 Dispatches documentaries, claimed the paper deliberately suppressed stories about the banking giant, including last week’s revelations that its Swiss subsidiary helped wealthy customers dodge taxes and conceal millions of dollars in assets, in order to keep its valuable advertising account.

He said it was a “most sinister development” at the broadsheet title, which he described as “the most important conservative-leaning newspaper in Britain”, but where he alleged the traditional distinction between the advertising and editorial departments had collapsed.

Nice to see there are still some people in the established media with a sense of ethics.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

originally posted by: Britguy

_javascript:hyperlink()

True, but at least Fox will read the story about things that the other stations won't even talk about.

That's because usually they are making it up. If they are not making it up then edit it so it will say what they want. This month alone they have already had to make two retractions on stories they either made up or flat out lied about.
edit on 18-2-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

Here is one of those stories.
Fox News Lies About Marines Leaving Weapons Behind In Yemen
edit on 18-2-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I can see why they would go after FOX over others. FOX makes it easy compared to some.

If this little school project get a little few more views I wonder how many reports will be shown the door as the MSM outlets try to save face?
edit on 18-2-2015 by ObjectZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I'm glad that you mentioned that this could also apply to other networks. Brietbart the person, I don't know... But o think they're may be some credibility there due to the extremely suspicious timing of his death. Anyway, people need to get over the notion of Fox News being the only media news "bad guy". CNN, ABC, NBC, RT, the ones you listed, Infowars, etc, they all fabricate, twist, and manipulate the news. Fox News is the popular villain these past few years because it's the political rights turn for scrutiny. In a few years it'll be CNN or MSNBC that we're after.

They've all been caught multiple times.
edit on 2182015 by JohnFisher because: to add last sentence

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I've brought it up multiple times, but if the link in my signature isn't enough to prove that Fox is not only NOT a news network, its a dangerous propaganda outlet, I don't know what is. Pure dystopia nightmare.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

I'm glad we don't have such smug assholes on the news, or in-fact on television, here in the UK with their head so far up their own rectum they can smell the ozone..

edit on 18/2/2015 by L.A.B because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
This is the people fighting back.

It goes to show that many young Americans are aware and are willing to do something about it.

I hope this hurts Fox. It would help if they just crawled away never to be seen or heard of again.

P

But --- but thar be liberals in Vermont --- so they must be lying -- but, but fox says it's 'fair and balanced'.

I'm waiting for other such denigrating comments about Bennington and Vermont.

Edit - oh wait fox did it themselves.
edit on 18-2-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Aside from the expected fool's gallery inhabitants shouting "journalism is dead," there are honest, smart folks still involved in journalism.

It's always vitally important that unbiased information dissemination (and analysis and even informed editorial opinion as long as its labelled as such) be presented for, and to, an informed public, and it IS rarer now due to people gravitating to info sources that are tailored to their existing expectations and the public generally demanding more entertainment than reliable information.

That said, news papers and network news sources are still trying to do their jobs... despite money going elsewhere.

That said, being as totally fair and objective in my assessment as is humanly possible... FOX News is antithetical to journalism and is a rancid cesspool of jingoistic, unthinking propaganda and stupid diversion.

But the cynics at FOX are right about one thing... most people are, indeed, willfully ignorant and simple minded, and thus deserve the society they are getting.

eta... but the kids at that high school are obviously getting good instruction on not only journalism, but how to think well, and are already thus on their way to improving journalism in this country. We need it... badly... and we even have it... our job is to actually absorb it, and for political information, especially, we need to be exposed to the information that goes against our expectations... to gain perspective.

Thought your comment could use more reading.

A short (and ongoing side bar to this). I've been posting on ATS for about two years. I have repeatedly asked the more right/conservative/liberarians members to share their sources for news, one's that have links and footnotes that are not all self-referencial, in order to balance my more left (with abundant links to source material and footnotes) leaning news aggregate and opinion sites.

I've yet to receive a decent one. I have gotten a couple of responses, that I assume didn't understand the question, that set me to red think tanks or self-promoting websites, but no news or factual commentary. Not yet - I'm still hoping. Perhaps today is the day.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The revenge of Bernie Sanders.

He must be involved in this.

He's campaigning behind the scenes !!!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
I've brought it up multiple times, but if the link in my signature isn't enough to prove that Fox is not only NOT a news network, its a dangerous propaganda outlet, I don't know what is. Pure dystopia nightmare.

I kind figured most knew this, but seems I was wrong on this account. But FOX isn't the only one just about all "news outlets" on TV are just propaganda machines.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join