It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont High Schoolers Just Destroy Fox News About The Ethics Of Journalism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

The Quantum Leap Exhibit Program at Mount Anthony Union High School in Bennington, Vermont took a good look at FOX News and put FNC up against the published Ethics of Journalism per the Society of Professional Journalists. See how FOX News failed miserably at practicing journalism on every level.

This was out since last month, but recent Brietbart head line and a thread had me revisiting this vid about journalist integrity, these kids concentrated on FOX,but they could have done the same with Breitbart and MSNBC etc.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Integrity in journalism is dead and has been for decades. Journalistic integrity is about as common as an ethical lawyer.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is the people fighting back.

It goes to show that many young Americans are aware and are willing to do something about it.

I hope this hurts Fox. It would help if they just crawled away never to be seen or heard of again.

P

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Fox is "infotainment". I don't know if that term has taken off yet or not, but I remember learning about it Mass Com 111 in college 10 years ago. We were told that with 24/7 news networks we could expect to see less and less "hard news" and more entertainment mixed into the news to stretch things along. Information + entertainment = infotainment. Perhaps the cable "news" networks ought to drop news from their names?

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
And the entitlement generation strikes again, thinking they deserve accurate and non-biased news reporting... Damn kids.

Just kidding - way to go kids, we need better news reporting and less infotainment.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

There is something wrong with the 24hr news cycle, it is often repetitive, so people get bored which in turn drive them to do silly and sensational, bold graphics, dramatic music etc, for folks living in the U.S you don't get a sense of how silly it looked to others, another thing is embedding with the troops, you can't do that! because then they become your buddies and it's difficult to write a story that maybe unflattering or unable not to write exactly what the commander feed you.
edit on 17-2-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Did you see the response?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well, we ALL need to be asking ourselves why we are being told/shown what we are. What is the agenda behind what I am watching on TV? What is the angle the reporters and talking heads are trying to get me buy into?

The "news" on TV isn't selected at random, and any bias or slant to it is done intentionally. We need to be more discerning and careful about what we absorb when it comes across our laps. Usually when something can illicit an emotional response, it's done so for a very real reason. Eliciting emotions is a powerful way to getting people to accept something. This is why the old expression "fear sells" is true.

Be it liberal or conservative, we are being fed an agenda. Squint your eyes a little bit and ask more questions!

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I love it! Love the approach, the method used and the document they used. What a terrific job they did. I hope they all got good marks. Did they take a page from Jon Daily, lol?

Thanks for sharing this.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Substitute Fox with any of the big news sources and you'll get the same thing. Fox just panders to their demographic with more transparency than some of the others.

I agree with the term "infotainment". They have "it bleeds it leads" and then fluff filler in the rest. With all those hours of wasted time it would be nice to see a surge in the amount of investigative reporting, but it's too much work for too little ratings share.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

It seems to me fox is trying to be more like the daily show. They have taken notes on the success of comedy channel, however Fox still labels itself as a news channel and comedy central never claimed they were trying to be news.

I don't have cable, but I wonder are there any news channels that actually do news anymore?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I keep seeing my home state in ATS threads involving education and students - great to see!

a reply to: Metallicus
My dad is an ethical lawyer (I'm not kidding), so maybe there is hope?

edit on 17-2-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Hahahahahahaha
FOX News got burned by some high school kids.
See, school has had a positive affect on these thinking students. I like.......very much!
See the sartirical response from FOX, haha wot a load of!
Wonder who wrote his script?......I don't really.
Go kids,keep thinking, keep quesioning & make them responsible.
S&F OP.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: Spider879

Substitute Fox with any of the big news sources and you'll get the same thing. Fox just panders to their demographic with more transparency than some of the others.

I agree with the term "infotainment". They have "it bleeds it leads" and then fluff filler in the rest.

No, you won't "get the same thing" by comparing Fox with the other big news sources! That's total B.S.!

While I'll agree that they all put their own slant on the stories they report, Fox & Breitbart stand in a category all their own when it comes to deliberate distortion of the news and/or flat out lying.

Furthermore, labeling what they do as "infotainment" is just as ingenious as what Fox News does. If anything, they should be labeled with the term "misinfotainment," or better yet, how about "Garbage?"

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Well, we ALL need to be asking ourselves why we are being told/shown what we are. What is the agenda behind what I am watching on TV? What is the angle the reporters and talking heads are trying to get me buy into?

The "news" on TV isn't selected at random, and any bias or slant to it is done intentionally. We need to be more discerning and careful about what we absorb when it comes across our laps. Usually when something can illicit an emotional response, it's done so for a very real reason. Eliciting emotions is a powerful way to getting people to accept something. This is why the old expression "fear sells" is true.

Be it liberal or conservative, we are being fed an agenda. Squint your eyes a little bit and ask more questions!

Or...drop out and quit watching altogether! That works too; especially when you come to realize that there really isn't any new in the "news". It's same crap, different day. Only the names and places change. There's only maybe 500 stories.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The epitome of the intelligentsia.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

While I'll agree that they all put their own slant on the stories they report, Fox & Breitbart stand in a category all their own when it comes to deliberate distortion of the news and/or flat out lying.

Furthermore, labeling what they do as "infotainment" is just as ingenious as what Fox News does. If anything, they should be labeled with the term "misinfotainment," or better yet, how about "Garbage?"

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I understand, Fox is the devil. To me it doesn't matter much if distortion is done with the gusto that Fox uses or the veiled distortion used most everywhere else. They almost all distort. You can call it slant when somebody other than Fox or Breitbart use it if you wish. I think that is total B.S. and distortion is distortion. So how much distortion and how many lies does it take for you? At what point do they go from "they give it their own slant" to "misinfotainment"? Was Brian Williams giving it his own slant?

I think I'm missing how the term ingenious fits this scenario. I don't think it takes much genius to pander to a crowd the way Fox does.

I didn't bring up "infotainment", that was MystikMushroom. I just agreed with it. I believe his original reference was to all 24 hour news channels, but since there was reference to Fox I understand that you must focus on them. Must destroy Fox.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
To be fair, I think Watters' World is meant to be humorous and not taken as scientific, or for that matter, journalistic truth.

These kids seem to have failed in using a segment not meant to be absolutely serious and then try to prove why it's not serious journalism.

Well, no # Sherlock. They may as well have done this with one of the Jaywalking segments from Jay Leno.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: Flatfish

So how much distortion and how many lies does it take for you? At what point do they go from "they give it their own slant" to "misinfotainment"?

When they go to court to fight for the right to fire employees who won't lie for them on air.

This is what Fox News did and seeing how I can't think of another news source that has literally fought for and won the right to lie to it's viewers, it kinda makes them different in my book.

Brian Williams lied and it would appear that his network is in the process of letting him go. If that were Fox News, they'd be taking him to court in order to force him to continue doing so. Do you see the difference?

ETA; I meant to say "disingenuous" in my previous post but my "smart" phone corrected me and I didn't notice it.
edit on 17-2-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Anyone that defends any of the propaganda outlets, is delusional, and that's being polite.

Every single MSM outlet has misreported the news to suit their own ideology; not one has been above doing that.

We're the puppets, and someone else is writing the script, but the MSM (ALL of them) is pulling the strings.

Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join