It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting was my drug of choice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Yeah the agression is still a big part of it too. The type of people the sport attracts tend to be people who hard backgrounds, people that overcome a lot of things in life or, they dont either way.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Anyways, I'd like to think I'm a pretty normal, well-adjusted person and so I guess when I hear that people enjoy the rush of fighting and battle it is just beyond my frame of understanding and possibly gives me a false reality of the possibility of humans living in Peace.

Violence is a part of human nature, but it is not necessarily the cause of war. Wars are usually started over power and wealth by a few men.

We are naturally drawn to violence because it is a good skill to have from a primeval perspective.

Without it we would be weak, not only to other humans but also to predators or whatever threat.

It's a good thing.

And you are a woman, you don't have to get it, you have your own qualities that are under appreciated, like getting me

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RustyHook

Humans are also predators. Its good to exercise our predatory nature in a more productive and entertaining way.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
You are feeding on the energies of the crowd. It's an energy exchange that entertainers of all kinds thrive on.

Biologically fighting, winning, being adored all releases endorphin's and other chemicals, the adrenaline by itself is probably intoxicating enough.

The late 20th century group of philosophers called The Backstreet Boys touched on this in one of their treatises on fame:

All you people can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Every time we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life

Looking at the crowd
And I see your body sway, c'mon
Wishin' I could thank you in a different way, c'mon
'Cause all of your time spent keeps us alive

Imagine being in that spotlight, the focus of so much attention. Whether just mundane attention or subtler metaphysical energies it must be quite the rush. It's probably no wonder celebrities go crazy.

I think you get connected to something deeper when your fighting in front of large crowds like that

On the metaphysical side of things it's pretty much axiomatic in certain circles that the bodies glands are connected in a reciprocal relationship with our subtle energy centers. The release of chemicals by the way of the glands would thus in this model be involved in this process in some capacity.

This view would explain the spiritual impressions and sensations that are experienced by mentally ill people under the spell of mania. All the happy juice gets dumped into the system all at once and then you're depleted; long spells of depression.

Being a fighter, a criminal or a soldier, they are all "careers" that can be very addictive.

I like the calm, but I've also lived a pretty eventful life, jail, fighting, flirting with criminal lifestyles, being insane.

I imagine fielding huge armies on the field of battle must be one of the biggest rushes there is. Imagine winning a battle, a campaign or a whole war? Must be akin to the ultimate rush for adrenaline junkies with a penchant for violence.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I know EXACTLY how you feel .
I could no longer run after Desert Storm,the CO at the time wouldn't let me extend to go into the hospital to investigate and I was put out medically from the Cav.
ONLY saw one fight and they opposing side was a joke.Now we are fighting as I wanted and I'm old and sick.
REALLY sucks.
May I suggest you go to what ELSE you like now?
I have my art.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Awesome post and i totally agree with you. I definately vibed with the crowd during a loss and a win. Losing was totally devastating for me though and winning was the exact opposite.

There is a huge metaphysical component and i can understand why people in power go so crazy.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: RustyHook

Humans are also predators. Its good to exercise our predatory nature in a more productive and entertaining way.

Channel that focus for good.

You can find a substitute...its still there.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Well i went down a bad path for a few years and blew world class opportunities in the process due to the ego i had built up in my head.

I wish i could have become a Navy SEAL, i definately had the fortitude to do it i probably trained as hard them just on the matts and in the ring not with a weapon or in the water.

But i let drinking get the best of me, i was even in the Navy and tried out for the program but my was in the wrong place. I had already been boxing with world class boxers for years when i joined so it was totally my fault.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I know EXACTLY how you feel .
I could no longer run after Desert Storm,the CO at the time wouldn't let me extend to go into the hospital to investigate and I was put out medically from the Cav.
ONLY saw one fight and they opposing side was a joke.Now we are fighting as I wanted and I'm old and sick.
REALLY sucks.
May I suggest you go to what ELSE you like now?
I have my art.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying ? During Dessert Storm you only participated in one battle and it was disappointing because you easily conquered the opposition ? Now that you feel that the battles would be what you had "hoped" for you feel missed out on that experience? Yikes !!

Isn't the whole idea "supposedly" to be Peace keeper's, too provide the muscle to help these countries "liberate" themselves from tyrannical governments ? I often wonder how soldiers reconcile the death and destruction they cause to innocent people in other Countries, but God I wanted to believe these people at least believe they are doing the right thing, WOW...I sure am glad that not all soldiers feel this way !

There are countless stories like this, so perhaps not all soldiers miss the "Glory of Battle" and feel pretty disgusted by the violence.

I understand the OP is about recreational fighting, but one has to wonder when soldiers seem to enjoy the battle what the true intentions in their heart is?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Not an MMA fighter but have spent a lifetime doing various martial arts on a serious level. Have you thought about teaching or being a coach. Either MMA or just Martial Arts in general. There would be some satisfaction teaching what you know to those eager. You would get to help others to grow and not make the same mistakes you have. I'm not saying start up a gym. that's crazy but teach out of a gym here and there or give small group or private lessons in the park. But leave it at that.

I know a few martial artists who never made martial arts their career but practiced every day for 6 hours + like it was a drug for them and then take a side job at some minimum wage place living like a popper their entire lives. Their Entire Lives! It's not a way to go. It's almost like it was easier to train all day and ignore the rest of what was really wrong with their lives and attend to them. I almost did that. For a year straight in between jobs I went to the park and trained for 8 hours a day every day. Really I was running away from my problems. But damn I did become a scary beast for a while. But in the end not worth it I say get a 9-5 and teach your passion on the side.

As far as giving up the limelight. I know what you mean by the rush. I used to be a pretty damned good bass player with a good reputation around the scene. I LOVED playing on stage. LOVED IT. It was a rush like a drug. When I realized I really didn't like how the music/entertainment industry worked I got out. I still really miss playing on stage. SO much that it's hard to go see family members play live on stage. I want to just jump up there and steal all the attention. To feel that rush again. Maybe one day. But it's not worth being some "bassplyr" serving fries at the local restaurant till I die. SO I got out.

It's not just the adrenalin but the attention that lingers for a few months that's like a high. It's hard to get away from that.

Just curious what was your fusion of MA that you worked. MT, BBJ, Shoot Wrestling? Just curious. I'm more of a Kali Silat guy myself. might be approaching a Kali Illustrisimo teacher that I found teaching privates in LA who looks really good and just train in that for a while. Not sure I can muster the balls to approach the guru though.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You're probably one of those starseeds, former alien hippies not used to violence or war.

Welcome to Earth! It's a violent, bloody place. Get used to it.

It's probably no use trying to explain the warrior mentality, maybe it's too alien for you.

Maybe... if you imagined you were a fictional adventurer having lots of adventures involving all kinds of conflict, an adventure isn't really a hair-raising adventure without copious amounts of violence or conflict. The fear and the exhilarating rollercoaster of emotions and sensations come together in a whole that is an experience in itself. Maybe even approaching something sublime, the action, the speed and heightened senses and feelings.

If you once experience that feeling, like if you were to have lived the life of Indiana Jones or James Bond, and then you retire to a normal life and live your life out in peace. Don't you think you might miss it?

What if you were a viking warrior that grew up raiding with your circle of warrior brothers? True kin, there's great pride and friendship to it too. The strength of such relationships is hard for civilians to even comprehend. Having someone's back fully in battle. Think about it.

I probably wouldn't be too proud to be fighting for the Western war machine in any of the current wars but imagine you were a Chinese soldier fighting the invading Mongols? Any soldier in a city being besieged by a rampaging enemy?

It's a really complex topic and there's too many facets to really deal with in a discussion like this. But one thing is true, there's virtue in being a warrior. Sometimes warriors are the only ones fighting for any number of worthy causes, choose your pick. Fighting for freedom and against oppression, standing up for what is right and against what is wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Fighting IS the job.
Killing is part of it unfortunately.
I watch as my troops die and wish I WAS with them fighting and YOU seek to impair YOUR emotional judgement.
YOU HAD BETTER THANK what ever creator you pray to we are this way.
OTHER WISE ther would BE no volunteer there would be CONSCRIPTION and who knows,YOU might be stuck in my place and we would LOSE!
Enough with the philosophy about violence garbage when adressing warriors.
STOP WAR first.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The baggage of killing is ugly my firend please count your blessings.
DAMNED bottle has killed 3 friends of mine.
WEED is a far superior libation.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I know a few martial artists who never made martial arts their career but practiced every day for 6 hours + like it was a drug for them and then take a side job at some minimum wage place living like a popper their entire lives. Their Entire Lives!

You nailed it man ive sacrificed everything to be a fighter. The problem is the self promotion end. I'm so dedicated to mastering the art that the promotion end and "selling" of myself is hard for me to come to terms with. Its a double edged sword and a lot of fighters have the same problem.

I do teach when i can and im very good at it but i just is what it is i guess.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

LOL.....I had to give that a star......being one of " those starseeds, former alien hippies not used to violence or war " and all

I would say in my own way I do stand up for what is right and against what is wrong, does being a "warrior" always been you conquer by force ? It is a complex subject, which is why I joined this discussion, lol, which based on the reactions I
've gotten has taken some degree of "courage".

Having played competitive team sports I understand the thrill of working as a team and winning and the low of losing. I understand the adrenaline rush.

As for not understanding "having someone's back" fully in "battle".....try being a Mother in this violent World !

I appreciate you acknowledge the Wars being fought for the Western War machine are nothing to be proud of, and I would hope the people volunteering to do this understand the difference between being a conquering Viking Warrior or Indiana Jones in a FANTASY is not what they are in these bloody, unjust Wars.

I do appreciate your insight and point of view and I do appreciate that aggression exists and is sometimes needed and honorable. Like I pointed out in my 1st post the 2 most important Men in my life seem to have these aggressive traits, and I feel safer knowing they protect our family, with violence if necessary.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Fighting IS the job.
Killing is part of it unfortunately.
I watch as my troops die and wish I WAS with them fighting and YOU seek to impair YOUR emotional judgement.
YOU HAD BETTER THANK what ever creator you pray to we are this way.
OTHER WISE ther would BE no volunteer there would be CONSCRIPTION and who knows,YOU might be stuck in my place and we would LOSE!
Enough with the philosophy about violence garbage when adressing warriors.
STOP WAR first.

That makes NO sense......I should Thank God some people are violent and enjoy fighting because they are willing to go fight Wars I don't believe are needed to keep us safe and willing to follow orders and do their JOB of killing people for profits ? To me the Vets that speak up about what BS these wars are, are the Heroes ! You sound like a gang member, willing to kill cause your buddies are doing the wrong thing......sigh.....

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
As far as promoting yourself I think I know what you mean. Are you coming from the angle of promoting yourself as a fighter but don't fit the bill anymore so it's hard to promote or sell your self as that?

If so, I know what you mean. I used to have the body of a Adonis. Built like a mini version of the rock. Was a hella good fighter. Known in the neighborhood as someone not to screw with. Friends called me Kung Fu Dave. It was great.

Then one day a Kajukempo expert tore my right shoulder good in a friendly sparring match in the park using a reverse hammer lock. Later that same week I herniate my left flank. from my oblique to my floating ribs in a sports hernia. I went in a year from looking like a bad ass fighter to out of shape. I don't think I'll ever be able to get back to the degree of fitness I was in. It's depressing to me in some ways.

How do I convince people that I can whoop the crap out of 99 percent of the population (even out of shape) when I now look like jack black and john belushi had a hobbit love child. When I tell people I'm a martial artists they probably don't believe me. "Yeah right" is the body language I receive. I can see it in their eyes. It's a horrible feeling. I feel like I'm some sort of con man playing a trick cause I don't look the part. But the fact is I AM a good martial artist, I just can't sell my self as one anymore. SO what do I do in that case./ I pretty much keep that fact to myself. Most people now a days have NO IDEA about my past. In some ways I guess it's better that way.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: GoShredAK

When i meet young aspiring fighters in gyms or when someone is looking for my specific skillset as a coach i tell them the same thing.

Do something else.

If they come back the next day then i ignore them. If they keep coming back eventually i start train them. If someone can talk you out of wanting to be a fighter you shouldnt be there its as simple as that.

I lose money doing that but i dont want to give some 18 year old false hope if that guy isnt totally ready to completely dedicate himself in everyway then he shouldnt be there because some monster is going to destroy him.

Thanks for the feedback One........

for real I do appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

With respect,

I am of the opinion that fighters are some of the hardest working athletes of all. Not only that, they are some of the most down to earth and good people you could ever meet.

It's not about violence, it is discipline and respect.

You won't usually catch a fighter participating in negativity, Once you get the bug, healthy lifestyle becomes priority...

all this based from my own opinion and experience mind everyone........

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I find MMA fighters to be the most respectful. Boxers on the other hand are a different story.

I think it has to do with brazilian jiu jitsu and judo and the fact that a lot of MMA has the more traditional style martial arts involved so you get the "dojo" feel more then you do the blood and sweat from a boxing gym. Plus its a harder sport.

I say that coming from a traditional boxing background as well i had already been fighting for 5 years by the time i start BJJ so dont put me into that crowd either.

edit on 2/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join